HELP! Any Mechanics Around?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Superv I got Van fixed today just had not pushed the power steering pulley on enough. And it was walking the serpentine belt forward and eating it up. Got it and no bee's either.👍

Thanks, my old bones hate getting in/under a machine, so I paid a young man to do it for 1014.00, that is about one fourth what Nissan.

The best way to adjust the valve lash is not the easy way.
When we rotated the engine to put #1 cylinder in overlap, it's twin #4 has just fired the sparkplug and the cylinder is at max pressure.
This is when valve clearance is most important.
Each cylinder has a twin that is doing the opposite thing that it is.
1 & 4 are twins and 2 & 3 are twins.
With #1 at overlap, adjust the valves on #4 with a .014" feeler gauge (cold) and lock the jamnuts.
Rotating the crank clockwise a half turn and you should see #3 exhaust valve closing.
When it gets closed, adjust the valves on it's twin #2.
Rotate the crank a half turn clockwise and you'll see the exhaust valve closing on #4.
When it gets closed, adjust the valves on it's twin #1.
Rotate the crank a half turn clockwise and you'll see the exhaust valve closing on #2.
When it gets closed, adjust the valves on it's twin #3.

After the engine has been run to operating temperature and the valves have had time to seat, you can check them at the "hot" setting which is the same procedure, but with a .012" feeler gauge.

What about 5-6-7 and 8 ?

Is overlap when #1 is at top dead center?

Last edited:
What about 5-6-7 and 8 ?

Is overlap when #1 and #4 when their at top dead center?
For my procedure, when the exhaust valve finishes closing on cylinder #1, it is on overlap.
The pistons on #1 and #4 will be at the top of their stroke.
This is when we adjust both valves on the opposite cylinder, #4.
Don't mix up the book technique with my procedure. They are very different.

Last edited:
I am trying to comprehend it and when I have # 1 tdc 1-2-3 are tight and only # 4 could be adjusted.So I need to watch #1 exhaust valve to close. But still 5-6-7-8 what about them?

For my procedure, when the exhaust valve finishes closing on cylinder #1, it is on overlap.
The pistons on #1 and #4 will be at the top of their stroke.
This is when we adjust both valves on the opposite cylinder, #4.
Don't mix up the book technique with my procedure. They are very different.
Right I get that.Their different.

I am trying to comprehend it and when I have # 1 tdc 1-2-3 are tight and only # 4 could be adjusted.So I need to watch #1 exhaust valve to close. But still 5-6-7-8 what about them?
If you are referring to the valves with numbers, you are using the book method.
My procedure only refers to cylinders with numbers.

It's 4 cylinders and 8 valves. If you don't use numbers on valves how would you know which one to adjust?:dunno: Guess I will think about it for awhile and see if it comes to me. Kinda get it, just not sure of all the twin valves 1&4 2&3 but their are 5&6 7&8 and how it gets all valves adjusted instead of 4.

Last edited:
It's 4 cylinders and 8 valves. If you don't use numbers on valves how would you know which one to adjust?
It's easy. When you turn the crank and spot the engine with a cylinder at overlap, you adjust both the intake valve and exhaust valve on the opposite cylinder.
Turn the crank and repeat for the other cylinders.

Guess that gets all valves adjusted then.
Read the procedure again. The numbers refer to cylinders.
When it says "adjust the valves on it's twin" it means adjust both the intake and exhaust valve on that other cylinder.

Edit: If you can't pull the distributor cap off of a diesel (it doesn't have one) to tell where it is in it's cycle, guess how we they do those? :p

Last edited:
It's easy. When you turn the crank and spot the engine with a cylinder at overlap, you adjust both the intake valve and exhaust valve on the opposite cylinder.
Turn the crank and repeat for the other cylinders.

Super V ,Thank for helping with this but it is getting to be too much for hubby aka Mr.Meer can't keep getting up an down with his back full of defecrive hardware causing incrusiating pain at times.
He doesn't take pain meds like he did in the beginning so its just Aleve or other over counter.
Not to speak of all the stress from isolation this BS pandemic .

Super V ,Thank for helping with this but it is getting to be too much for hubby aka Mr.Meer can't keep getting up an down with his back full of defecrive hardware causing incrusiating pain at times.
He doesn't take pain meds like he did in the beginning so its just Aleve or other over counter.
Not to speak of all the stress from isolation this BS pandemic .
Hell, give him a 6-pack. Works for me
Toast.gif

He is thinking more on the VO & Coke .He has two drinks and that seemes to help a little mentallt anyway.
So, why I am I putting him thru this hell?
For posterity.
The procedure I am mentioning can be used to adjust the valves on any 4-cycle multi-cylinder engine if you know the firing order. That is usually the only info cast on the exterior of an engine.
Inline-4, inline-6, V6, V8, gas, LPG, CNG, or diesel. And that's almost all of 'em.
Years from now this will be info that nobody knows.

Edit: And I do love me some VO & Coke! A double on a cruise-ship is $18.50 , yeah I got that. :thumbs:

Last edited:
For posterity.
The procedure I am mentioning can be used to adjust the valves on any 4-cycle multi-cylinder engine if you know the firing order. That is usually the only info cast on the exterior of an engine.
Inline-4, inline-6, V6, V8, gas, LPG, CNG, or diesel. And that's almost all of 'em.

I know in 1995 I ordered all the engine parts from After Market Marine to rebuild 2 aka twin 120 Inline on our 24 ft. Inboard ,Ourboard Cuddy Cabin. Ran perfect after he rebuilt them. But that was 25 yr ago,lol no injury.

For posterity.

Edit: And I do love me some VO & Coke! A double on a cruise-ship is $18.50 , yeah I got that. :thumbs:

Yes he always liked the VO the Crown was oo expensive.
We need to tak a cruise on the Mayflower he built.

Read the procedure again. The numbers refer to cylinders.
When it says "adjust the valves on it's twin" it means adjust both the intake and exhaust valve on that other cylinder.

Edit: If you can't pull the distributor cap off of a diesel (it doesn't have one) to tell where it is in it's cycle, guess how we they do those? :p

O k So we are doing two valves each time so it's ending up adjusting 8 valves right?

I know in 1995 I ordered all the engine parts from After Market Marine to rebuild 2 aka twin 120 Inline on our 24 ft. Inboard ,Ourboard Cuddy Cabin. Ran perfect after he rebuilt them. But that was 25 yr ago,lol no injury.

Also was not 8 plugs on each or 8 valves.

O k So we are doing two valves each time so it's ending up adjusting 8 valves right?

Maybe it's me but seemed we were only dealing with 4 valves instead of 8. It was mentioned of the twins 1&2 and 3&4 but not 5&6 o or 7&8.

Maybe it's me but seemed we were only dealing with 4 valves instead of 8. It was mentioned of the twins 1&2 and 3&4 but not 5&6 o or 7&8.
It's only a 4-cylinder engine. There is no 5, 6, 7 or 8 cylinders.
Here's what we're doing:
Spot the engine on cylinder #1 overlap. Adjust both valves on cylinder #4. That's 2 valves.
Turn the crank 1/2 turn to put cylinder #3 on overlap. Adjust both valves on cylinder #2. That makes 4 valves adjusted.
Turn the crank another 1/2 turn to put cylinder #4 at overlap. Adjust both valves on cylinder #1. That makes 6 valves adjusted.
Turn the crank another 1/2 turn to put cylinder #2 at overlap. Adjust both valves on cylinder #3. That makes 8 valves adjusted.
That's all of 'em. Done!

Last edited:
It's only a 4-cylinder engine. There is no 5, 6, 7 or 8.
Here's what we're doing:
Spot the engine on cylinder #1 overlap. Adjust both valves on cylinder #4. That's 2 valves.
Turn the crank 1/2 turn to put cylinder #3 on overlap. Adjust both valves on cylinder #2. That makes 4 valves adjusted.
Turn the crank another 1/2 turn to put cylinder #4 at overlap. Adjust both valves on cylinder #1. That makes 6 valves adjusted.
Turn the crank another 1/2 turn to put cylinder #2 at overlap. Adjust both valves on cylinder #3. That makes 8 valves adjusted.
That's all of 'em. Done!

Thanks Super V that makes since to me.:thumbs:

Here's what we're doing:
That's all of 'em. Done!

It fired right up after adjusting them this way SuperV.:) I was just having trouble comprehending the way to adjust them but this way is simple to understand. 👍 It only has very slight chatter and after they seat I think that will go away too. It's nothing like the noise it was making before and cranks better too. 😲 lol Thanks again SuperV and radiator is still full too and oil looks clear. 👍

Mr.Truck has had all the attention and now its ovr,thank goodness!dancing chicken

Now its MY TURN to get soem stuff donw inside and outside.He will be glad hopspital bed is in living room because he si going to need it!:thumbs:And so am I .

Here's what we're doing:
That's all of 'em. Done!

@Supervisor42 I have a question that is kinda related it is mechanical.
Why do they put adjustible spoke rims on a bus? Hubby said they were a pain to adjust. he kept them alligned and we put thousand of miles on it. Plus last I heard o nSkoolie the girl was still driving it around.

Are you talking about these?
singledayton.JPG

These are old Dayton rims used before buds and current ones used today. Try finding someone that knows how to install a set of dials the proper way is difficult. I have had to instruct a young man how to do it to make sure they were on straight.

View attachment 43160

These are old Dayton rims used before buds and current ones used today. Try finding someone that knows how to install a set of dials the proper way is difficult. I have had to instruct a young man how to do it to make sure they were on straight.

@Cnsper ,Yes that them. We were talking about the bus we had and wondrd why they used spoke rims. Our bus was a 1991

View attachment 43160

Dials? All we used was a rock with a piece of chalk taped on top.
Probably bolted on thousands of them.
It was always cool to look out beside you going down the highway and see one wobbling.
You have to tighten the nuts in a star pattern. Make a pass, spin it, then start tightening the second pass with the ones near the chalk marks first.
If you can't get it to run true, you bust it off and start over.
With practice, you get good at it :).
(You do know you can change the tire without taking the wheel off, right?

Latest posts

Back