HELP! Any Mechanics Around?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the upper right of the screen is a bell, an envelope, and a tiny picture of the current avatar.
Click on the tiny picture.

Yep, I had already done that, but it takes me to my library when trying to upload and I do not have that photo in my library. Pictures in my library are loaded from my phone or camera I've taken a picture of a picture with camera or phone does not look as good as a copied photo on laptop. I asked Angie if she can ; if not I will get it . "Thanks" 👍

Yep, I had already done that, but it takes me to my library when trying to upload and I do not have that photo in my library. Pictures in my library are loaded from my phone or camera I've taken a picture of a picture with camera or phone does not look as good as a copied photo on laptop. I asked Angie if she can ; if not I will get it . "Thanks" 👍
It's not that hard.
You can see my avatar is now Red Hot!!! :p
And the white-tiger is now parked here: 468.gif

Last edited:
@Supervisor42 I did it . Had to take picture with my camera, then load it in library , which allows me to put it up.

Looking Buff. 👍🙂 huh?😁
Looks great!
I guess I can ditch my red-hots now.

Supervisor42 I did get down town today and bought oil and a new filter. So I am fixing to get back on the truck and finish it up. 👍
Check that coolant consumption.
And even if it has a 'drinking problem', don't panic.

There's an app for that
biggrin.gif

Check that coolant consumption.
And even if it has a 'drinking problem', don't panic.

There's an app for thatView attachment 41070.

Worked on it some yesterday, off and on between everyday things I have to do.Ran it about 45 minutes after changing oil and still no coolant loss so far to mention. The oil change was a little dirty but not milky so far.Still working on adjusting valves seems a little too chatty still. Ran it a little bit without valve cover and it's really pumping the oil good.Gonna attempt adjusting valves one more time and once there right for sure, I will adjust timing , I have the timing light now.

The first thing I'd do is to make sure you are getting spark. Next I'd make sure the plug wires are correct. Next the timing. I'm not much of a mechanic but that's a start. He probably has done all this. How long has the gas been sitting and was it stabilised?

Just started to reread some this thread and just seeing this Caribou, "sorry", but did all that and it was out time, gas is less than a 1/4 tank new fuel and as it turns out it cranked once we corrected that like SuperV said but I am sure you read that.Thanks. 👍

DSCN1138.JPG

SuperV according to this Haynes book there saying to adjust these valves this way. Are they not right? Did it twice and doesn't sound exactly right.

The best way to adjust the valve lash is not the easy way.
When we rotated the engine to put #1 cylinder in overlap, it's twin #4 has just fired the sparkplug and the cylinder is at max pressure.
This is when valve clearance is most important.
Each cylinder has a twin that is doing the opposite thing that it is.
1 & 4 are twins and 2 & 3 are twins.
With #1 at overlap, adjust the valves on #4 with a .014" feeler gauge (cold) and lock the jamnuts.
Rotating the crank clockwise a half turn and you should see #3 exhaust valve closing.
When it gets closed, adjust the valves on it's twin #2.
Rotate the crank a half turn clockwise and you'll see the exhaust valve closing on #4.
When it gets closed, adjust the valves on it's twin #1.
Rotate the crank a half turn clockwise and you'll see the exhaust valve closing on #2.
When it gets closed, adjust the valves on it's twin #3.

After the engine has been run to operating temperature and the valves have had time to seat, you can check them at the "hot" setting which is the same procedure, but with a .012" feeler gauge.

I can see you said use .012 like they did in the Haynes book. You said after operating temp. You also said this is not the easiest way too.But is this the easiest way you know?🤔

I can see you said use .012 like they did in the Haynes book. You said after operating temp. You also said this is not the easiest way too.But is this the easiest way you know?🤔
The easy way is the one in the book. It is only one notch better than not adjusting them at all. They have you spot the engine firing the #1 cylinder and give you a list of which valves you can adjust.
Then you rotate the engine one full turn (firing #4) and you adjust the other ones. You only have to turn the engine twice instead of 4 times in my method.
The 'easy' way does not take into account minor variances in rocker arms or cam lobes and can result in one or more being set wrong.

Last edited:
The easy way is the one in the book. It is only one notch better than not adjusting them at all. They have you spot the engine firing the #1 cylinder and give you a list of which valves you can adjust.
Then you rotate the engine one full turn (firing #4) and you adjust the other ones. You only have to turn the engine twice instead of 4 times in my method.
The 'easy' way does not take into account minor variances in rocker arms or cam lobes and can result in one or more being set wrong.

True because, I did it the book way twice so far and one of them wouldn't let gauge in even when you loose it all the way it was still tight.

True because, I did it the book way twice so far and one of them wouldn't let gauge in even when you loose it all the way it was still tight.
And can you imagine setting it like that?
You'd be calling some cranky old guy and saying "one of them is still ticking real loud! gaah ".
A couple of hours later, you'd have a new way to set them...
The 'not-easy' way.:rolleyes:

Just so you know SuperV , our Van, when we went to get oil for truck kept buzzing when I hit gas. Wasn't sure what it was but to come to find out, after sitting the last couple months some kind of bees took up residency.:ghostly:

So that has taken priority over my truck for now. Hope they don't get me once I find out there location in there. :rolleyes:

Just so you know SuperV , our Van, when we went to get oil for truck kept buzzing when I hit gas. Wasn't sure what it was but to come to find out, after sitting the last couple months some kind of bees took up residency.:ghostly:

So that has taken priority over my truck for now. Hope they don't get me once I find out there location in there. :rolleyes:
shock.gif
HairOnFire.gif

Superv I been checking for the bees but haven't found them yet.Looked under the hood and under the bottom of the engine and see none so far. Each time she comes out one or two bees come by and she says see there they are and I told her that's just a bee flying around the vehicle not from a nest in vehicle. Anyway about the sound we heard while driving seems its the belt unraveling because when I changed the power steering pump and pulley a couple months ago didn't push it on enough maybe needs a 1/4 inch more to be right and it's been walking the serpentine belt forward when air conditioner is on. So I got a new $42 belt and will fix that pulley tomorrow. Buzz sound is that worn out belt. 👍

. So I got a new $42 belt and will fix that pulley tomorrow. Buzz sound is that worn out belt. 👍
You will still have to find a dead wasp nest to show her.
She won't ride in it until you do.

...(just realized she probably read this
brickwall100.gif
).

She is probably still in politics saving the world somewhere.:D
Want be able to use the dead wasp nest though because she will see this.lol

Just got my rearend replaced in my 2005 forntier pickup.

Latest posts

Back