HELP! Any Mechanics Around?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Said now that he knows the bottom is right he wants to make surethe heads right. He ordered filler gauge,timing light get it in time,adjust valves in the steps you said to make sure its right. New cost $176.00

Said now that he knows the bottom is right he wants to make surethe heads right. He ordered filler gauge,timing light get it in time,adjust valves in the steps you said to make sure its right. New cost $176.00
He'll find he doesn't need an expensive timing light.
Feeler gauge is about $10.
The distributor has so little adjustment range, the engine will run with it turned to the max either way.
BTW, notice the difference in the T22R head you posted and the head on the Z24 engine I posted in post #32.
The T22R engine is a TOYOTA, not a Nissan.
That makes a difference.

The distributor has so little adjustment range, the engine will run with it turned to the max either way.
BTW, notice the difference in the T22R head you posted and the head on the Z24 engine I posted in post #32.
That makes a difference.
He is checking it again,hope I put up the wrong one.:ghostly:

Timing light and filler gage is on the way and he said he will do what you suggested. The Nissan head is like 4 times as much as the Toyota! I see a big disagreement coming if he even mentions a damn head at that price anttime soon.

Timing light and filler gage is on the way and he said he will do what you suggested. The Nissan head is like 4 times as much as the Toyota! I see a big disagreement coming if he even mentions a damn head at that price anttime soon.
The head and head gasket installation can be easily checked for coolant leakage if you have compressed air, an air blower chuck, and a little time.
milton-industries-inc-air-blow-guns-s-148-64_1000.jpg

Lemme know if you need step-by-step.

The head and head gasket installation can be easily checked for coolant leakage if you have compressed air, an air blower chuck, and a little time.
milton-industries-inc-air-blow-guns-s-148-64_1000.jpg

Lemme know if you need step-by-step.

Ok will do .:thumbs:

That makes a difference.

LOL,SuperV, I like the way you snunk that in about the head being wrong. " BTW ".lil loser
Thank goodness you caught it or we'd be sitting here looking at a dead head and probably no way to return it anytime soon.

LOL,SuperV, I like the way you snunk that in about the head being wrong. " BTW ".lil loser
Thank goodness you caught it or we'd be sitting here looking at a dead head and probably no way to return it anytime soon.
Can you imagine if you needed the Toyota head and ordered the 4x expensive Nissan head by mistake?
panic.gif
overreaction110.gif

Earlier, I was talking about coolant leaking into a combustion chamber, not outside of the engine.

Can you imagine if you needed the Toyota head and ordered the 4x expensive Nissan head by mistake?View attachment 38705View attachment 38706
Earlier, I was talking about coolant leaking into a combustion chamber, not outside of the engine.

He said that ain't happening oil is clear but since he redid the head himself he was thinking it may be the head espeacilly since its aluminum and blowed head gasket. But it measured out fine and he sanded it smooth.

He said that ain't happening oil is clear but since he redid the head himself he was thinking it may be the head espeacilly since its aluminum and blowed head gasket. But it measured out fine and he sanded it smooth.
If he checked the flatness and it wasn't warped, it will be fine with a new head-gasket if he ran the headbolts to torque a couple of times thru the sequence.
All of the heads that are run hot enough to crack will be seriously warped also.
If it passes leak-test, it's probably good to go and I wouldn't pull it back back off.

If he checked the flatness and it wasn't warped, it will be fine with a new head-gasket if he ran the headbolts to torque a couple of times thru the sequence.
All of the heads that are run hot enough to crack will be seriously warped also.
If it passes leak-test, it's probably good to go and I wouldn't pull it back back off.

It Passed all that and he is waiting on the filler gauge to adjust valves. :huggs:

It Passed all that and he is waiting on the filler gauge to adjust valves. :huggs:
It's a "feeler gauge".
Remember, it's a guy-thing.
biggrin.gif

Torque sequence:
OfjWmWsj9JNvk3-q7hpRNaxvHCfYfOKYeszAdaUTcoGa4n334QPQkyY5TH3DMLgbNMhmmZoXxBK3P-h2-3i81_vCo2QXleFOlU4cQhDlzzGYvnHkpSBkfFUHft334_sSwXO1Bcnhhq2a_rElFtyHXi7a6Q4HozKeBheNQHaXeQ91O30W822_wNBL6kUOJyttnBM

*This may not be your exact engine. You need to make at least two passes thru to the torque spec.
If a bolt turns on the second pass, do it again until nobody moves.

Super I learned to do the head torque as yours 1,2,3, the n 4 would be where 6 is, 5 6 where 4 is, 7 8 where 10 is, 9, & 10 where 8 is. First time I saw it in your order.
The one I posted was for early 80's engines. My disclaimer mentioned that there are others.
My main point was, it's a little more complicated than just "bolt tha damthing on, real tight".

You mean the 3/4 inch impact is a no go?:LOL:
I vote we send @Bacpacker down there to put the cam in time with the crank and distributor, lash the valves, pull torque on the headbolts, and get it running.
Who's with me?
waveguy.gif

I get tired just reading about it... Last time I bought a short block was '87. The last time I needed an engine I just bought a long block... believe that was in '08 and it still took me a month to put everything back together. Hey, it was January and my shop isn't heated, I only worked on warm afternoons. 💥 Next time I think I'll just get a new truck!

For next couple hours I have some things for him to do so I can get busy myself. See you guys in a little biy.:thumbs:.

Well that didn't work out too good!He is never happy doing unless its what he wants to do.

So I was turning compost with pitch fork after I raked up leaves with a ' little ' help and as I picked up leaves he came up from pile and handle hit him in head!It make a loud hollow sound and I had a chest pain at same time, so I started uncontrollable laughing .:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:just imagining us both laid out in the leaves!:devil:. So he ask what I was laughing at I told him to go %^ himself. Its gettign bad around here.

Well that didn't work out too good!He is never happy doing unless its what he wants to do.

So I was turning compost with pitch fork after I raked up leaves with a ' little ' help and as I picked up leaves he came up from pile and handle hit him in head!It make a loud hollow sound and I had a chest pain at same time, so I started uncontrollable laughing .:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:just imagining us both laid out in the leaves!:devil:. So he ask what I was laughing at I told him to go %^ himself. Its gettign bad around here.
FB_IMG_1585609706917.jpg

Ok now to say what hubby is good at and thats almost anythingthing he does.
His trade for past 50 years was a auto bodyman and auto painter includind having a few cars he did in Car magazine. He has kept our old autos going since we met.
He can remodle almost anythign ,fix AC,Heater,good horseback ,all sports and very good on water skis and dancing before he got hurt.
Most of all he is a good man who taught my kids and grandkids well and never put a hand on any of them [ nobody had but me and mama before she passed] .He is a great mucisian likes guitar best but plays keyboard and little drums.I never had to work since we met so I gor ro stay home with my aka our kids.He hor a ready made family at early age because kids father was absent and never paaid a dime in support.
He is always there when I'm down but likes to work on autos.
I feel like i needed to say this since I did kinda get upaet with the hollow head,LOL.
He can hunt,clean and prrepare any deer or whatever.
I still laughed when we cracked his head with pitch fork though.

SuperV,BackP and yall we are waiting on the feeler and timing light,should be here any day and its back to the races with MrJunk. Thanks you all fro help hubby % I really appreciates it. But there will not be a new head that is the limit.

Ok y'all hubbt just joined the site now guess I'll be monortured even worse. :eyeballs:
Buthe likes you guts helping him with MrJunk.

@Supervisor42
I am member now so we can communicate.

I still don't see a mark on the harmonic bal. even when #1 at tdc. The book says on chain there is a silver link to align cam sprocket don't see that either after spinning motor with ratchet several rotations.
Got filler gauge today so was thinking I will see if I can get cam in right position to measure valve clearance.

What you think? also now I can go back and reread your post on how to do it.

Thanks.

@Supervisor42
I am member now so we can communicate.

I still don't see a mark on the harmonic bal. even when #1 at tdc. The book says on chain there is a silver link to align cam sprocket don't see that either after spinning motor with ratchet several rotations.
Got filler gauge today so was thinking I will see if I can get cam in right position to measure valve clearance.

What you think? also now I can go back and reread your post on how to do it.

Thanks.
Welcome aboard! We're going to have to get you an avatar (picture).
The timing chain has two gold links. When they build the engine they put the links on the marked tooth of the sprocket on the cam and the sprocket on the crank.
Of course you can't see the marked tooth on the crank sprocket without tearing the front off of the engine, which means the oil pump gear will have to be re-timed to the crank because it drives the distributor.
Doing THAT is harder to do than timing the cam to the crank & distributor.
brickwall100.gif

To put a timing mark on the front pulley, you will need a small file and some liquid white-out. The one with a tiny brush works better than a pen.
There is a slightly complicated process that will let you determine the exact location to mark the pulley.
Let me know if you need it. For that engine, if you mark the pulley within 1/8" of true TDC, you'll be fine.

Last edited:
Back