HELP! Any Mechanics Around?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dials? All we used was a rock with a piece of chalk taped on top.
Probably bolted on thousands of them.
It was always cool to look out beside you going down the highway and see one wobbling.
You have to tighten the nuts in a star pattern. Make a pass, spin it, then start tightening the second pass with the ones near the chalk marks first.
If you can't get it to run true, you bust it off and start over.
With practice, you get good at it :).

SuperV hubby leaned but we wondered why they put hose on the bus when they were so hard ot work on.

SuperV hubby leaned but we wondered why they put hose on the bus when they were so hard ot work on.
Because they would fit on everything!
There was no bolt-pattern to match up.
Steer tire, drive tire, trailer tire, Ford, Chevy, IH, did not matter, if it was a 22.5, it would bolt on.
If you needed a tire, you could borrow one off of anything.

Last edited:
Dials? All we used was a rock with a piece of chalk taped on top.
Probably bolted on thousands of them.
It was always cool to look out beside you going down the highway and see one wobbling.
You have to tighten the nuts in a star pattern. Make a pass, spin it, then start tightening the second pass with the ones near the chalk marks first.
If you can't get it to run true, you bust it off and start over.
With practice, you get good at it :).
(You do know you can change the tire without taking the wheel off, right?
Freaking auto correct I meant duals. I normally had a hammer handy and laid it on the ground. A lot of them did not know you had to spin the tires. A good time watching the kids struggle with that spacer.

If you really wanted to confuse them ask if they have a porkchop when you are running bud wheels.

Last edited:
SuperV, You ever had any Cuddy Sark blended scotch? I tried a couple shots tonight for first time and it's pretty good. :)

Ran the truck 1/2 hour yesterday and oil is clear and right on full, and radiator antifreeze is full to top and it never went above an 1/8 on gauge , just stayed cool.👍

Cars were much simpler when I was a Toyota mechanic. The first ones brought over here had a metric version of the Chevy 235 and the two speed Powerglide. Then they started bringing in the difficult stuff.

Because they would fit on everything!
There was no bolt-pattern to match up.
Steer tire, drive tire, trailer tire, Ford, Chevy, IH, did not matter, if it was a 22.5, it would bolt on.
If you needed a tire, you could borrow one off of anything.

Oh thanks that make sense now. :thumbs:

Cars were much simpler when I was a Toyota mechanic. The first ones brought over here had a metric version of the Chevy 235 and the two speed Powerglide. Then they started bringing in the difficult stuff.

That's true and now with all the computers brain box's and sensors , you have to have diagnostic scan tool on all of em. Not like the old days for sure. :dunno:

SuperV, You ever had any Cuddy Sark blended scotch? I tried a couple shots tonight for first time and it's pretty good. :)

Ran the truck 1/2 hour yesterday and oil is clear and right on full, and radiator antifreeze is full to top and it never went above an 1/8 on gauge , just stayed cool.👍
Glad the truck is good. I never drink scotch because it's a waste of good scotch
biggrin.gif
The people that love it, really love it.
They tell me it is an "acquired taste". I agree.
I have acquired the taste of enough other less expensive liquors to get by.
Last time I went on a cruise, I told my neighbor that at the 'duty-free' shops liquor is less than 25% of the price here. He told me to grab a bottle of some kind of scotch that sells for $165 a bottle here.
For that much, I told him it had better come with a girl in a bikini holding it!o_O
I told him I would look.
No luck.
Crown Royal half gallons everywhere for $15, but no Blue-whatever scotch :( .
Dammit, I hate when that happens!
brickwall100.gif

I did save $80 on 2 cartons of smokes though.:rolleyes:

Glad the truck is good. I never drink scotch because it's a waste of good scotchView attachment 43466.
Last time I went on a cruise, I told my neighbor that at the 'duty-free' shops liquor is less than 25% of the price here. He told me to grab a bottle of some kind of scotch that sells for $165 a bottle here.
For that much, I told him it had better come with a girl in a bikini holding it!o_O
I told him I would look.
No luck.
Dammit, I hate when that happens!View attachment 43470

Meerkat got this scotch is saving the crown for herself later. :rolleyes:

So next trip to town I will pick up another crown. lol

Congats on savings on cig.'s 👍

Glad the truck is good. I never drink scotch because it's a waste of good scotchView attachment 43466.
I told him I would look.
No luck.
Dammit, I hate when that happens!View attachment 43470

SuperV I bought the scotch along with a 5th of VO bother were on sale so I got one of each.

SuperV , I took truck back to town this morning for some smoke's and it's running fine. Hit 4th gear at 52 mph and you have to watch it because you will be speeding, without knowing it because it rolls so free. When I first had got it I replaced all the wheel bearings and drums , brakes and rotors.

So now it really wants to roll. :)

SuperV , I took truck back to town this morning for some smoke's and it's running fine. Hit 4th gear at 52 mph and you have to watch it because you will be speeding, without knowing it because it rolls so free. When I first had got it I replaced all the wheel bearings and drums , brakes and rotors.

So now it really wants to roll. :)
Timing marks?
...We don't need no stinkin' timing-marks!
NoDeal.gif

Roll on!!! :thumbs:

Update on truck, it has basically been parked since last worked on it because the valves or something needs to be reset and he has not been able to take the sweltering humid heat and pain at same time it got so hot he just haasn't got back to it again yet,he cranks it and lets it run like its doing now it smokes and skips but needs a little more work.
@Supervisor42 he is almost there soonqs weather cools off and he feels like getting back down on the ground.

Update on truck, it has basically been parked since last worked on it because the valves or something needs to be reset and he has not been able to take the sweltering humid heat and pain at same time it got so hot he just haasn't got back to it again yet,he cranks it and lets it run like its doing now it smokes and skips but needs a little more work.
@Supervisor42 he is almost there soonqs weather cools off and he feels like getting back down on the ground.
If he put new piston-rings in it and didn't scuff the cylinders, it will take a while to get them broken-in.

If he put new piston-rings in it and didn't scuff the cylinders, it will take a while to get them broken-in.

He said the valves have to be adjusted a second time, he ha took it on several 10 mile round trips to town. It is hard to start when its cold and floods itself trying to start so it blows black smoke till it warms up.then its clear.
He is outside right now it revves up smooth,not missing. Valves chatter when idling reeve up it mooth.I just went out and he toldm me this.
He said he just needs ro adjust valves again,fine tune.
He is mowing grass before it rains again.

I guess it's my turn to play in this thread. For any motorheads willing to help. I have a 1990 Ford Bronco (full size). I started it and pulled it over & hitched to the trailer and shut it off. Then loaded the trailer over the course of maybe an hour. Once loaded, I started it up to warm up while I hooked the bungie net. It started fine ran for maybe a minute and died. It will turn over - good battery etc. Sounds like it's not getting fuel. The fuel gage doesn't work so I go by miles, should have over half a tank but added another 5 gal for good measure. Still wouldn't start. Crawled around under it and changed the fuel filter. Old one had fuel in it but was from 2016 so was due anyways. Still won't start. If the fuel pump is in the tank, it's beyond my abilities. Any other ideas? (I have traced lines, jiggled wires etc. - no workey).

If you have an extra set of hands have someone crank the engine while smacking the bottom of the fuel tank with your hand or rubber mallet. If it starts it is likely the fuel pump and that will be the last time it starts until replaced. Otherwise check basics like spark and such.

If you have an extra set of hands have someone crank the engine while smacking the bottom of the fuel tank with your hand or rubber mallet. If it starts it is likely the fuel pump and that will be the last time it starts until replaced. Otherwise check basics like spark and such.
Thanks - will try when Hubby gets home.

Try adding some gas. Maybe someone borrowed your gas it happens.
I gave it a 5 gal can - figured that should be enough to get it started if it was out of gas.

And to Guardian, will probably wait until I can actually take it to mechanic if it's gonna run once.

I gave it a 5 gal can - figured that should be enough to get it started if it was out of gas.

And to Guardian, will probably wait until I can actually take it to mechanic if it's gonna run once.

Well, I understand but at least you would know. Might have to be towed at that point I suppose. Do you know if it has spark at least? I chased a fuel problem once on a late 80's mustang. Ended up being a broken wire in the kick-panel near where your left foot would be. That was an interesting diagnosis...

First check; is it getting spark? Pull the coil wire from the distributor. Put a screw driver or grounded wire within 1/4 inch of the coil wire end and have someone crank the engine. If you get a spark then reconnect the coil wire and check the plug wires. If you don't get a spark at the coil wire then pull the cap off and check the points, rotor and inside the cap.

9 times out of 10 a no start condition is electrical.

fords have an inertia switch in the fuel pump wire, ussually in the cab near the right ,passengerside kick panel, some times these just need to be reset, just push the plunger if I recall, if there wasn't pressure in the line when you changed the fuel filter, the pump probably wasn't pressuring the system.

I haven't been home during daylight hours and haven't tried Ben's lightening at night suggestion. I am suspicious of fuel pump or wires also. There was pressure in the line when I changed the filter. I know it sparks at the solenoid - just changed the battery cables last week :rolleyes: I haven't checked the plugs - good suggestion. I did have them gone through about a year+ ago so wouldn't think they should be bad yet, but never know. I did have mice get under the hood at one point so always suspect wires - grrrr! Won't have time to play with it until weekend again. Thank you all - I'm so not a mechanic.

I haven't been home during daylight hours and haven't tried Ben's lightening at night suggestion. I am suspicious of fuel pump or wires also. There was pressure in the line when I changed the filter. I know it sparks at the solenoid - just changed the battery cables last week :rolleyes: I haven't checked the plugs - good suggestion. I did have them gone through about a year+ ago so wouldn't think they should be bad yet, but never know. I did have mice get under the hood at one point so always suspect wires - grrrr! Won't have time to play with it until weekend again. Thank you all - I'm so not a mechanic.

LadyL I know mice will damage wwiring,don't know why they like wires so much but they do. Good luck I know it is frustrating working on motorized things.

Last edited:
I bought a car for the evil-x just before she threw me and my son out (a blessing mind you). It would not start after a rain storm. Opening the hood at twilight revealed a wordeful lighting storm.

Ben

Was the fuel filter full of crap? Sometimes when a vehicle has been sitting for a while they will suck up stuff (water, rust, ... ) from the bottom of the tank, clogging the fuel filter and often the lines upstream. You might consider checking for fuel pressure at the fuel rail on the engine. There is a shrader valve
(like a tire valve) there.

90-96 For the 5.0L, 5.8L and 7.5L EFI engines, the in-tank mounted high pressure fuel pump is capable of supplying 105 liters (27.7 gallons) of fuel per hour at a working pressure of 270.0 kPa (39 psi). For the 4.9L EFI engine, the pump can supply 90 liters (23.7 gallons) per hour at 380 kPa (55 psi). The pump has an internal pressure relief valve to provide overpressure protection in the event the fuel flow becomes restricted. Overpressure is restricted to 850 kPa (123 psi)...

You might be able to hear if the in-tank fuel pump is working when the ignition is first turned on.....

Latest posts

Back