HELP, Connecting Dial Up To Ethernet?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I have Wifi dial up. Does this work without a modem or do I have to still use G5 ?

Here is a hookup but will it work for me?

Cat 8 Ethernet Cable 5 ft - Lastest and Fastest (40Gpbs) Lan RJ45 Patch cord, Solid Cat8 Highest Speed Computer Internet Network cable for Router, Modem, POE Switches, Servers, Hub, Gaming - 1.5 Meter
by Dacrown
49 customer reviews

Amazon's

61wI65A2crL._SX679_.jpg

I don't play games but do watch videos and use forums. So don't need much speed or whatever.

I would think you need a modem. Ever since I have had the internet I have had to have a modem. Your internet provider should be able to help you with this. I do remember you have service where they slow you down when they want to punish you for something you have said or done.

You will need a modem of some kind. Like Weedy said your provider should be able to answer that question.
Don't get conned into buying an expensive cable. It's all digital and it either works or it doesn't work. An expensive cable won't be faster or more reliable than an inexpensive one.

WiFi dial up? Never heard of it.

For dial up you will need a Modem (either external or in the computer). You will need an Internet Access Provider that still provides dial up access. Your computer (thought the modem) would dial a telephone the Access Provider has given you.

Your picture shows a Ethernet cable with R45 ends (connectors). A dial up Modern will need standard telephone cable with RJ11 ends from the telephone wall jack to the modem.

WiFi dial up? G5? I am not sure what you are talking about.

As Lazy L said, the phone jacks in your house are RJ-11. They have four wires, although a phone connection only requires two - the other two are used for a second phone line, if installed. A computer ethernet cable (e.g., the CAT-8 one you show in your picture) has an RJ-45 connector and eight wires. And RJ-45 connection is not compatible with an RJ-11 one - neither electrically or physically (the plug won't physically fit into the jack, for one).

Every internet connection method requires a modem (I'm talking the connection from your house to the outside world, not connections inside your house which are usually ethernet or WiFi). This modem may be built into your computer (as is typical for older computers and dial-up connections), may be integrated into your router (lots of times this is what an ISP will provide to you), or it might be a totally separate device (what you typically find when people buy they own modems and routers rather than renting them from their ISP). There are indeed WiFi routers that have dial-up modems built into them. I have never seen one of these personally - you don't usually find them in retail stores - but I know they exist. There are different types of modems: you have your cable modems, DSL modems, fiber optic modems, dial-up modems, etc. Back in the really old days, we even had our acoustic modems (I remember using those!)

By "dial-up" could you possibly mean "DSL"? DSL is done over phone lines, just like dial-up, but they are not the same technology. Traditional dial-up still exists. You don't see it much, because very few people can tolerate the slow speeds it provides these days. A modern webpage, loaded over a dial-up connection, would require the user to have the patience of a saint.

You said "do I still need to use G5?" What is G5 in this context? I know that is a model number for a Motorola brand cellphone, and also for an LG brand cellphone. As far as networking goes, I don't know what that term means. Are you possibly meaning 5G instead? That is a standard used to move data over a cellular connection (along it's older siblings 4G, 3G, etc.) 5G is new cutting edge technology. You see it in very, very few places. You would have to live in a weird place indeed, if your choices were 5G (cutting edge) and dial-up (so old, some people here may not even know what it is). You would have missed out on about 30 years of innovation in that case.

I would think you need a modem. Ever since I have had the internet I have had to have a modem. Your internet provider should be able to help you with this. I do remember you have service where they slow you down when they want to punish you for something you have said or done.

My internet provider is not happy with me lately.They said I needed an upgrade and I told them to fix it right first time, and stop asking for $10 upgrade so much.One thing led o another and shtf.

So I'm giving them a few months to cool down.

You will need a modem of some kind. Like Weedy said your provider should be able to answer that question.
Don't get conned into buying an expensive cable. It's all digital and it either works or it doesn't work. An expensive cable won't be faster or more reliable than an inexpensive one.

WiFi dial up? Never heard of it.

For dial up you will need a Modem (either external or in the computer). You will need an Internet Access Provider that still provides dial up access. Your computer (thought the modem) would dial a telephone the Access Provider has given you.

Your picture shows a Ethernet cable with R45 ends (connectors). A dial up Modern will need standard telephone cable with RJ11 ends from the telephone wall jack to the modem.

I'm not sure if its dial up or DSL but it has a separate line than our phone and it is Windstream and Windows 7.

WiFi dial up? G5? I am not sure what you are talking about.

As Lazy L said, the phone jacks in your house are RJ-11. They have four wires, although a phone connection only requires two - the other two are used for a second phone line, if installed. A computer ethernet cable (e.g., the CAT-8 one you show in your picture) has an RJ-45 connector and eight wires. And RJ-45 connection is not compatible with an RJ-11 one - neither electrically or physically (the plug won't physically fit into the jack, for one).

Every internet connection method requires a modem (I'm talking the connection from your house to the outside world, not connections inside your house which are usually ethernet or WiFi). This modem may be built into your computer (as is typical for older computers and dial-up connections), may be integrated into your router (lots of times this is what an ISP will provide to you), or it might be a totally separate device (what you typically find when people buy they own modems and routers rather than renting them from their ISP). There are indeed WiFi routers that have dial-up modems built into them. I have never seen one of these personally - you don't usually find them in retail stores - but I know they exist. There are different types of modems: you have your cable modems, DSL modems, fiber optic modems, dial-up modems, etc. Back in the really old days, we even had our acoustic modems (I remember using those!)

By "dial-up" could you possibly mean "DSL"? DSL is done over phone lines, just like dial-up, but they are not the same technology. Traditional dial-up still exists. You don't see it much, because very few people can tolerate the slow speeds it provides these days. A modern webpage, loaded over a dial-up connection, would require the user to have the patience of a saint.

You said "do I still need to use G5?" What is G5 in this context? I know that is a model number for a Motorola brand cellphone, and also for an LG brand cellphone. As far as networking goes, I don't know what that term means. Are you possibly meaning 5G instead? That is a standard used to move data over a cellular connection (along it's older siblings 4G, 3G, etc.) 5G is new cutting edge technology. You see it in very, very few places. You would have to live in a weird place indeed, if your choices were 5G (cutting edge) and dial-up (so old, some people here may not even know what it is). You would have missed out on about 30 years of innovation in that case.

I had it backwards, it is 5G. And they took the other modem when they put it in a couple months or so ago.
Its not better than the other modem { is a modem same as a router? } was as far speed .
But I keep getting this pop up on youtube asking if 'I know why I'm having interuptions ' and it spins or loads for awhile.
Its weird because it doesn't do it when we rent their movies.o_O:confused:.

If you are connecting to the internet you don't need anything else.
You probably just have a slow internet connection.
Sounds like you have a DSL line. I have a DSL and I also get the message from youtube. I ignore it.
When my wife is streaming a movie I just live with the slow connection.
Test your internet speed.
https://beta.speedtest.net/#

If you are connecting to the internet you don't need anything else.
You probably just have a slow internet connection.
Sounds like you have a DSL line. I have a DSL and I also get the message from youtube. I ignore it.
When my wife is streaming a movie I just live with the slow connection.
Test your internet speed.
https://beta.speedtest.net/#

The problem is I don't want 5G in our house.
I've heard some bad stuff about it. I can deal with the slow speed.

I need to put a signature up that says, I'm not paranoid if they really are out to get me'. :eek:.

Last edited:
I was on dial up for many years, but then everything got extremely slow, 2 hours download time for a 15 minute video that was always disjointed. We tried getting DSL but the phone company told me it was locked out in our area, our former neighbor on our west side had DSL and the phone company guys I talked with were originally pushing it heavily, phone company said I could get their satellite computer feed and I told them that I didn't trust even their phone connection, frequently we would loose long distance connections and even now the phone connection will sometimes drop out. Anyway, I ended up getting Huges satellite for internet and probably due to my very crappy Toshiba Satellite touch screen laptop and Windows 10, things are better but still tough to get to places unless I repeatedly enter an address. I want to stay in touch with this and other sites and watch educational videos, but I'm often on the edge for just taking this computer outside and using it for target practice and go back to letter writing, calling people on the phone and talking face to face, I'm really starting to hate this modern techno age and I'm not going to accept 5G, bad enough having a Smart Meter which is thankfully mounted on a pole over 50 feet from our home, that damn thing does strange things like not giving full power back right away when the grid has been down, we only get 120 volts on one side of the split phase for a number of minutes. I can understand that it may be so that all the load doesn't come on line all at once, but we were never told that that would happen, but waiting for the other half the home to have power is disconcerting.

Nations and leaders who don't allow 5G .

https://takebackyourpower.net/5g-the-dominoes-are-starting-to-fall/

Lawmakers hitting the brakes on 5G:
USA, 24 March: Portland Oregon city officials state clear opposition to the installation of 5G networks around the city, supported by the mayor and two commissioners.
Italy, 28 March: Florence applies the precautionary principle, refusing permissions for 5G and referring to “the ambiguity and the uncertainty of supranational bodies and private bodies (like ICNIRP)”, which “have very different positions from each other, despite the huge evidence of published studies”.

h: One Roman district votes against 5G trials, with others expected to follow. Other motions to Stop 5G are expected in the four regional councils, one provincial council and other municipal councils of Italy.
Russia, 28 March: The Russian Ministry of Defence refuses to transfer frequencies for 5G, which effectively delays any 5G rollout there for several years.
Belgium, 31 March: The Belgian Environment Minister announces that Brussels is halting its 5G rollout plans, saying, “The people of Brussels are not guinea pigs whose health I can sell at a profit.
Germany, 4 April: Germans sign a petition en masse to force the German Bundestag to debate 5G.
Netherlands, 4 April: Members of Parliament in the Netherlands insist that radiation research must be carried out before any

Last edited:
I was on dial up for many years, but then everything got extremely slow, 2 hours download time for a 15 minute video that was always disjointed. We tried getting DSL but the phone company told me it was locked out in our area, our former neighbor on our west side had DSL and the phone company guys I talked with were originally pushing it heavily, phone company said I could get their satellite computer feed and I told them that I didn't trust even their phone connection, frequently we would loose long distance connections and even now the phone connection will sometimes drop out. Anyway, I ended up getting Huges satellite for internet and probably due to my very crappy Toshiba Satellite touch screen laptop and Windows 10, things are better but still tough to get to places unless I repeatedly enter an address. I want to stay in touch with this and other sites and watch educational videos, but I'm often on the edge for just taking this computer outside and using it for target practice and go back to letter writing, calling people on the phone and talking face to face, I'm really starting to hate this modern techno age and I'm not going to accept 5G, bad enough having a Smart Meter which is thankfully mounted on a pole over 50 feet from our home, that damn thing does strange things like not giving full power back right away when the grid has been down, we only get 120 volts on one side of the split phase for a number of minutes. I can understand that it may be so that all the load doesn't come on line all at once, but we were never told that that would happen, but waiting for the other half the home to have power is disconcerting.

Viking I also refused Smart Meter and waiting for call and " CONTRACT " with power company. It will cost me $30 extra a month for meter reader to read Analog meter.
Just think of all the jobs this high tech is taking from humans! Metr readers are all about to be out of work. Already most factories and warehouses use robots now. GM is almost all robots. Few men who are there work for robots.
Israel who created 5G won't even allow it in their nation according to news. Along with other nations I put up here who refuse it.
Our kids are being exposed to this all day and night.
We unplug off wifi 5G every night but I still don't want it.
AI aka artificial intelegence is taking over.

Hubby says I'm paranoid and so he won't answer my questions about this. Maybe so but better paranoid than sick. I have enough to deal with as it is, don't need no more.:(

Latest posts

Back