Help... Ear Hematoma

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I mentioned it passing in the "doing today" thread, forgot to update here, thanks for the reminder.

My poultice of yarrow and plantain reduced the hematoma by half by monday morning. What was left was starting to harden so I carted him to the vet that morning.

They kept him over night and did the surgery. I picked him up yesterday. He's doing fine, not a happy camper but they gave him pain meds I have to give 2x a day. They usually knock him out for about 3hrs, then he wakes up grumpy.

The price was cheap, $103 which included surgery, a rabies shot, a bath and grooming, toenails trimmed. Saturday he had dragged up part of a deer carcass and reeked.

The girl who gave him a bath help me get him into the cage on my truck. She said "what on gods green earth has he been rolling in?" "You been burying bodies in your back yard?"... It was funny. And most importantly he no longer stinks like rotten flesh.

I've started to despise deer hunters... every winter it's the same... They kill a deer but don't want coyotes around where they are hunting. They pick out some side road out here in the country to dump entrails, hide etc... Usually near my house then Joe drags it up in the yard a few nights later when it's good and stinky. I have to cart it off with the front end loader and bury it. Mean while my dog stinks for the next 2 or 3 days..

Great news! We do love our pets.

Latest posts

Back