"HELP", Getting a vehicle key made.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there a "NATIONAL" key service that makes a key using the (VIN #) Vehicle Identification Number.....???
If there was, it would be great for car thieves.:woo hoo:
Only a dealership can do that... after you show them your registration.

Only a dealership can do that... after you show them your registration.
Only a dealership in the STATE it registered in can do that, also need valid "CURRENT" identification. And actually, don't need the registration, possession of the title will work, and it can be done over the phone & mailed to me.

Did you know that many industrial supply stores and even hardware stores can make such keys, BUT the catch is, you must ask specifically. For your year, make, etc not all blanks are equal. they were able to bypass my chip key altogether!

Only a dealership in the STATE it registered in can do that, also need valid "CURRENT" identification. And actually, don't need the registration, possession of the title will work, and it can be done over the phone & mailed to me.
Then why a thread about "...needing help to get a key made":dunno:

Is there a "NATIONAL" key service that makes a key using the (VIN #) Vehicle Identification Number.....???
What kind of vehicle do you have? A lot of newer vehicles have gone away from the traditional cut key to a special cut, grooved key. The reason for this is it is more difficult for a thief to bump a lock cylinder, and access the vehicle. If it is a grooved or laser cut key, then the only way to get a key is to either a) go to the dealer with the title and proof of ownership, then they can order one for you (but it will need to be programed to the vehicle or b) there are some locksmith services that have the specialty tools to make those keys and program.

As far as I know, in my 22 years in the automotive industry, there is not a mail order key makings service.

Then why a thread about "...needing help to get a key made":dunno:
When the thread was started my knowledge on the subject was near "ZERO". Two hours a ten minutes on the phone with dealers, I learned a lot.

As far as I know, in my 22 years in the automotive industry, there is not a mail order key makings service.
The dealer "WILL" mail me a key. Thy need a valid photo I.D. and a copy of the vehicle title, which I can e-mail a copy of both to them. I can't use the registration because it is out of date (expired). This is one of the few things that SUCK if one lives 100 miles from a town and is blind.

The dealer "WILL" mail me a key. Thy need a valid photo I.D. and a copy of the vehicle title, which I can e-mail a copy of both to them. I can't use the registration because it is out of date (expired). This is one of the few things that SUCK if one lives 100 miles from a town and is blind.
Glad to hear that you found a dealer to work with you!

Latest posts

Back