Help! I need better coffee

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do the vinegar cleansing about once a month or 6 weeks.

My maker ,cheap one, just don't seem to be hot enough.

Jim

Then a new coffee maker is in order. If heat is the issue then step it up to one in the next price bracket from your current one. Read reviews and look for reviews about how hot it makes the coffee.

I am known by all my friends to be a coffee snob. Starbucks (aka "Charbucks") is as low as I will stoop, and only in an emergency. I bring my own coffee maker and supplies with me when I travel.

Here is my recipe for a perfect cup of coffee:

Coffee maker: Technivorm Moccamaster. Yes, it is expensive, but it lasts forever, and it makes a fantastic cuppa. I bought one as a Christmas present for a friend of mine, who loves coffee but who thinks all coffee makers are the same, and he agrees. We have both had ours for over ten years.

Coffee: Java City "Espresso Valerosa". I used to use "Vienna Roast," and it is better than Espresso Valerosa, but they discontinued it. You can buy coffee from Java City on-line. I get some whole bean and some "espresso grind" even though I run it through a drip filter. If you try it and like it, send Java City a note asking that they bring back Vienna Roast. Trust me. It is even better. I think fresh-ground tastes a little better, but sometimes I am lazy and I used the espresso grind and it is fine.

Milk frother. Takes that cup up a notch if you use cream/sugar. I put the half and half and sugar in the frother while the coffee brews. Pour it into your cup and then pour the black coffee over.

Water. There is a lot of debate over water, but I prefer distilled. That way, I am not getting any taste from the water in my coffee. Some people argue that tap/bottled water adds a complexity to the coffee, but I disagree. Also, distilled water is easier on the coffee maker.

I use distilled in my waterpik. :p

I just checked the water temperature coming directly out of my 2 coffeemakers.
Keurig is at 165° and the Bunn is at 185°. I let the pot sit on the burner of the Bunn for 15 minutes and the water temperature is at 170°.
I don't think either one is at the optimal temperature for coffee which is 195° to 205°.
This is close enough for me. I actually like some minimart coffee.

My Grandma would use a percolator on the stove. She would fill the basket as full as she could and let it perc on the highest temperature the entire time she was cooking, about half an hour.
Then she would pour the cups full and then they would put in a heaping spoonful of Folgers instant coffee. Both of them would then pour their coffee into a saucer and drink from it. The entire house smelled like burnt coffee. I can still remember that smell. If they wanted a cup later in the day she would just turn the burner on high and boil what was left some more.
Grandpa and Grandma had some very strange habits. It must have not been too bad Grandma live to be 94.

My wife likes Keurig and her pods with filtered water ..so she can select the taste to her mood. I also like it for the same reason and Variety from one day to another is the biggest benefit of a Keurig in my opinion...example....light roast. medium roast. dark roast. Some days I want a mellow breakfast coffee, some days I like Columbian, French, and the list is almost endless. I also have the choice to use the Keurig "refill" cups when I want a stronger cup of coffee in a pod.

I do grind my own beans …. and generally speaking …. grinding your favorite roast gives your the best/freshest taste. My favorite coffee is a particular brand of 100% Kona. but it is expensive, so I mainly drink whatever I am in the mood that is cheaper.

I use my Krups Expresso maker, or Krups drip coffee pot, when I want a strong cup of Joe (which is most of the time)

My two favorite brands for ~strong~ coffee is Devils Mountain Coffee and Death Wish coffee. Both are a dark roast especially the DMC, both are very smooth and not at all bitter because it was intended to be made strong with lots of beans per cup. Both claim to be the worlds strongest coffee. the DMC has the most caffeine.

Last edited:
My wife uses a Keurig. She also likes fufu coffee, which I can't stand. I want strong black coffee coffee, not some fufu flavored BS.

I have opted for cowboy coffee. I bought an aluminum pot at Wal Mart which has a basket, but I don't use it. Put in water and coffee and bring it to a rolling boil. Turn the heat down, and let it simmer for a few minutes. When you are satisfied it is done add a little cold water on top and in the spout to settle the grounds.

The key is when you feel it is ready you throw in a horseshoe. If the horseshoe sinks it isn't ready yet. It takes a little longer but IMHO it is worth it. Here is a link on doing it at home.

My Grandma would say you need more grounds and you should boil it longer. :p
I missed the horseshoe.
I watched an episode of Green Acres last night and Lisa was learning to cook. She asked Oliver if he would like more coffee and started to pour him some. Ed said I thought it was syrup, I've been putting it on my pancakes. Now that was some strong coffee.

I've been drinking coffee since I was a teenager. Usually at least a pot a day. I've tried grinding beans, but it's labor intensive, and since your always experimenting with new beans, you really never know what your going to get till you brew some up an take a gulp.

My go to brand all my life is Yuban. I'll brew it up in an old camp percolator occasionally, but for my standard day to day brew, I just use a new, cheap, Mr Coffee drip brewer. They only last a few months until they get to dripping pretty slow, and when that starts happening I just get a new one. I've tried cleaning them, but a new one is cheap, and they always work better than the ones I try to salvage by cleaning. I like my first mug strong, so I usually just pour off the first runout and drink that to begin with since it's the strongest.

I drink out of a big insulated '49ers insulated plastic mug that I got back when Montana was the quarterback. It's seasoned in just right, and nobody better even think about touching it.

I think Lisa Douglas went to the same cooking school as Ellie Mae Clampett.

Not much was edible, but they would probably be a very useful projectiles if you had to defend your home.

It's seasoned in just right, and nobody better even think about touching it.
One day the shop Chief told me to make coffee. I said I didn't drink coffee so someone else should have to do it. He said he didn't ask he told me to make it. My buddy laughed and the Chief told him to help.
We took the big 30 cup pot and all the filthy cups to the head and scrubbed them till they shined.
The inside of the pot had a layer of crud about 1/4 inch thick and we got it all off and shined it inside and out.
How were we supposed to know they had never washed the pot or cups in 3 cruises?
We were not very popular with the rest of the crew but they never asked us to make coffee again.
On my second cruise the water onboard the ship always had JP5 jet fuel in it. One day I actually was able to light the coffee in a cup on fire.

I like to keep it simple but this is interesting although I still like my way the best so far.

Latest posts

Back