Help new goat person

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcibme

New Friend
Neighbor
I am starting a small homestead. I claimed a kid from a friend that was born 3-17-2022. My friend came by today 3-26-2022 to take me to see her. Well, I ended up taking the doe and her other kid. One kid was failing while the other kid looked good. I got them home and found out the doe has mastitis in her right udder. The left one looks good. I have pulled both kids and got them to take a bottle today. The one that was failing is perking up and has a full belly now. My question is, is there any hope for the doe? She is a mini Lamancha and I am pretty sure she was bred during her first cycle so she is young. Most information on the internet says cull them because they can keep having problems. I am hoping that is not the case. I have the doe on a broad-spectrum antibiotic. She is eating her pellets great. She seems alert and curious. Do I let her dry up or should I continue to milk her through this? Can this become a chronic problem? Any help would be appreciated.

I am starting a small homestead. I claimed a kid from a friend that was born 3-17-2022. My friend came by today 3-26-2022 to take me to see her. Well, I ended up taking the doe and her other kid. One kid was failing while the other kid looked good. I got them home and found out the doe has mastitis in her right udder. The left one looks good. I have pulled both kids and got them to take a bottle today. The one that was failing is perking up and has a full belly now. My question is, is there any hope for the doe? She is a mini Lamancha and I am pretty sure she was bred during her first cycle so she is young. Most information on the internet says cull them because they can keep having problems. I am hoping that is not the case. I have the doe on a broad-spectrum antibiotic. She is eating her pellets great. She seems alert and curious. Do I let her dry up or should I continue to milk her through this? Can this become a chronic problem? Any help would be appreciated.
I raised hair goats many moons ago! The couple of times I had to deal with mastitis I let them dry up naturally! Antibiotics are a must. If she doesn't look any smaller in a few days it's vet time!

Buy some TODAY and keep milking her. Get the infected milk out and let the kids nurse. It won't hurt them. If the one kid isn't getting enough then I'd still supplement with the bottle. The mastitis could be a one time thing or it could be chronic. It depends on what caused it.

Back