***HERBAL RECIPE BOX***

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honeysuckle Itch-a-ma-call-it Lotion

Every spring and early summer I make a new batch of this lotion which is great for easing bug bites and other itch-a-ma-call-its on the skin.

Generally speaking, many herbs are at their most potent when the plant is just beginning to flower. But if you missed the optimum harvest time, that's OK, the remedy will work almost as well if made with herbs harvested earlier or later.

Gather Japanese Honeysuckle (Lonicera japonica) vines, leaves, and flowers in the morning after the dew has dried but before the heat of the day.

Chop the honeysuckle well, fill clean glass jars 2/3 full with the chopped honeysuckle. Pour in enough 91% rubbing alcohol (or 100-proof vodka, or everclear) to cover. You can also use vinegar, but first spread the chopped plant matter out to semi-dry in a well-ventilated place to dry for a day (not in direct sunlight). Then put the wilted honeysuckle pieces in the jar with vinegar. That way, the reduced moisture in the plant matter will help reduce the chances of spoiling in the vinegar.

Close the jar with a tightly fitted lid. Store in a cool, dark location. Shake daily (or whenever you think of it) for 6 - 8 weeks. Strain.

NOTE: I like to throw this mixture into the blender then pour it into jars and allowing it to sit. But this method will work best in the blender with high-proof alcohol only because the increased released plant moisture may cause spoilage with vodka or vinegar.

More recipes coming later...

I make several batches of this wonder-juice, enough to last until late summer of the following year.

Last edited:
Balm of gilead salve

take a cup or so of sticky gilead buds and a jar. Put the buds in a jar, maybe enough buds to fill it at least half way. Then top off with a oil of your choice. I use olive oil and cap off. Give it a shake a few times a day for a month or so.
Then strain the oil off. Heat gently and add melted wax to the oil at about a 1 to 4 ratio. 1 part wax to 4 parts oil. This ratio is not written in stone. Then pour in a short wide mouth tin or jar. Rub on as needed

Bam of gilly is good for inflamation, headaches, arthritis, minor wounds and more.

I harvest the buds in early spring. They are sticky and smell good. When harvest I gather a few from multiple trees rather than just stripping one lone tree.

spaz-ez tincture
to relieve muscle spasms

mix equal parts of (cut-sifted)
wood betony
wild yam
corydalis root **

put in sterile food grade bucket or gallon glass jar
cover with 80 proof vodka or everclear to an inch above the herbs
label and date and put lid on
stir or shake once a day
store in cool dark area
steep for 14-30 days ( i prefer doing a 30 day tincture)

dose is 1-2T average as needed

***corydalis root cut-sifted is getting pricey.
you can substitute a 50-50 mix of kava kava + st johns
dose may need to be adjusted to 2-3T

ive used this many years for muscle cramps, spasms in back, legs, charley horse whereever and esophgeal spasms

blackberry leaf tincture
to stop diarrhea and loose stools
this is terrific and dose not bind you up the next day

blackberry leaf - cut and sifted
follow standard tincture directions

put herb is sterile jar
cover with 80 proof vodka or everclear
put lid on, label and date
steep for 14-30 days

strain - bottle - label and date

dose is 1-2T after each episdoe- most of the time one dose stops the problem with occasional need for a 2nd dose.

skullcap tincture
i use this for calming mood or after a emotional shock or upset
it is very light and is calming

dry skullcap cut and sifted
i steep for 30 days

strain, bottle, label a nd date

dose is 1-2 dropper full of tincture in water or tea
it is gentle and relaxing

Post your favorite time-honored herbal remedies here!
Great thread topic.

Cottonwood Foot Rub
Infuse oil of your choice (I use olive oil) with those sticky cottonwood pods in the spring.
1 part infused oil, 1 part coconut oil, and 1 part beeswax
Melt together over low heat.
Pour into small molds

When feet are fresh in spring rub this "lotion bar" into your feet.
Likewise when your feet get dry and cracked in summer, rub it in.
It's also good for chapped hands.
Cottonwood bothers some folks. If you're one of them this might not be for you.
If it doesn't bother you, it works great.

thank you, i never heard of cottonwood use before. man, i love learning from people. i have a comfrey - calandula skin care salve i use and will post later. id like to try the cottonwood, not sure if i have them around but ill ask.

Last edited:
kidney stone lemonade
family member dealt with kidney stones and swears this works

when you feel that 'ping'

1/2 cup lemon juice
7 cups water
drink this every day - you want to pee 2 liters a day
** you can add1/2 cup apple cider vinegar, stevia, honey but no sugar.

gall bladder acting up

ive used this many times over the years and its worked every time. you decide later to see a doc or do a gall bladder flush. do your own research.

if your gall bladder is acting up start eating apples, drinking non sweetened apple juice, apple sauce. if you ever get that middle of the night 'omg gall bladder attack, start drinking apple juice to relieve it so you can rest,. then in the morning decide how you want to deal with it. if the gall bladder aint happy then nobodys happy, it can mess with your digestion real bad too.

i prefer using the gall bladder oilve oil and lemon juice flush. it has worked for me wonderfully and i usually do it 1X a year, maybe 2X if the GB is acting up. if anyones interested ill post the flush directions. works pretty durn good. i feel like ive lost 20lb and you can count the damn stones. very interesting.

migraine tincture

ive used thos off and on for stress headaches and even vestibular problems.

3 parts lemon balm
3 parts peppermint
2 parts feverfew**
**optional can replace with 2 parts valerian or skullcap

follow standard tincture process. 14-30 day steep

dose is 1-2 T as needed. id take it straight or add to tea.

i found it pretty good for different types of headache pain relief but only moderate for vestibular problems.

shingles

forgive me for going off topic and i hope im not pissing anyonme off but ive used this for years to deal with shingles outbreaks and it works Every Time. i thought id pass it along in case it can help someone else.

at first sign of onset, that soreness, stinging feeling stat taking L-Lysine 500 mg 4 times a day and +_ vit C to bowel tolerance 500gm 2X a day or liposomal vit C

you must take this for 2 full weeks
the symptoms will fade pretty quick but you still have to take th L-kysine for 2 full weeks . no skimping on the 2 wks, doent work to feel great after a few days and stop using it. 2 full weeks.

at first sign of any shingles symptoms start taking the 500mg L-lysine.

L-lysne is pretty cheap for a large bottle. if you are prone to shingles attacks you can stock up. right now on amazon you can get 3 bottles of 100 for under $14. a 2 week course is 4 tabs a day for 14 days = 56 tabs. thats just an example, you may find better deals.

ive been offered the shingles vax and declined. this stuff works and if you take it at first sign of symptoms you nip it in the bud and it doesnt develope in to a full blown case.

Plantain Salve Recipe - Survival SullivanWound and bite salve.
I started to write it out but I copied it off line anyways so here is a link. I let my oil infusion sit for 3 months and used mostly coconut oil with only a little olive oil added. I didn't add any vitamin E oil but it's not a bad idea to.

blackberry leaf tincture
to stop diarrhea and loose stools
this is terrific and dose not bind you up the next day

blackberry leaf - cut and sifted

put herb is sterile jar
cover with 80 proof vodka or everclear
put lid on, label and date
steep for 14-30 days

strain - bottle - label and date

dose is 1-2T after each episdoe- most of the time one dose stops the problem with occasional need for a 2nd dose
I read where eating 1/4 c blackberries will stop the covid diarrhea. Yah right I thought. Well hubby ended up with the diarrhea for a few days and I forgot about the blackberries. Ranto store, he ate some and it stopped it! 2 days later, they came back, he ate another 1/4 c. Gone. SoI am going to make this tincture in case I cant go get blackberries. How long does this tincture last?

I read where eating 1/4 c blackberries will stop the covid diarrhea. Yah right I thought. Well hubby ended up with the diarrhea for a few days and I forgot about the blackberries. Ranto store, he ate some and it stopped it! 2 days later, they came back, he ate another 1/4 c. Gone. SoI am going to make this tincture in case I cant go get blackberries. How long does this tincture last?

that was very interesting thanks! i never tried blackberries themselves, great idea.

how long do tinctures last? kept in a cool dark area many would say indefinitely. ive heard 10 yrs,s, 20 years and indefinitely based on where and how stored. i keep mine in the basement on a shelf covered with a sheet. usually when i make a of something i make enough for a year or 2. never had any problem with any of them. i do have some tinctures i made many years ago for experiments and blending ive not seen any problems with them either but i live in a cool dry area..

also ive read if one doesnt want to use an alcohol base you can make a tea out of the blackberry leaf. i tend to prefer tinctures as they dont need refrigeration, and last good long term item..

Right on. For what it's worth it increases circulation and helps cool the body along with stopping the runs.....in RABBITS.

Comparing two different creatures but might be similar in humans since it stops it in rabbits also. Take with a grain of salt though...

that is cool, thanks! my family has used the blackberry leaf tincture for some years and it works very well. i love blackberries and would be glad to try them to compare, but im just thinking--and this is the cheap side of me---that the leaf would be cheaper to buy and store long term ofr either tea or tincture. blackberry wine or liquor might be interesting to try..

there is always some very interesting things to learn

Jazzy, I too was thinking the same thing. If you cant run to the store or go pick them due to not in season an have the tincture, it should be the same. I am definitely making the tincture to keep on hand.

thats great! when i first heard of it it didnt make much sense but i made it anyway to try at some t ime. thats kind of what i like to do, learn something someone makes and if i think it can help the fam, them make some to try out at some time. i was quite surprised at how well the blackberry leaf tincture worked. kind of one of those things smart to have around.

Post your favorite time-honored herbal remedies here!
I use Organic ACV as a solvent for dry plantain (Plantago major) leaves. Leave it to soak for 6 weeks, strain and bottle. Makes the best, and stinkiest, bug bite relief I've ever used. My son can't take the smell but I can't take the itching so it's all I use.

now that is very interesting---do you get your own plantain leaves or buy them? i have an essential oil blend i add to water in a small spray bottle and spray myself and around where im sitting on my porch, that seems to wkrm well but all we have here is flies starting may and some kamakazi gnats now and then late summer very rare to see any skeeters up here.

now that is very interesting---do you get your own plantain leaves or buy them? i have an essential oil blend i add to water in a small spray bottle and spray myself and around where im sitting on my porch, that seems to wkrm well but all we have here is flies starting may and some kamakazi gnats now and then late summer very rare to see any skeeters up here.
I pick them out of the yard.

I use Organic ACV as a solvent for dry plantain (Plantago major) leaves. Leave it to soak for 6 weeks, strain and bottle. Makes the best, and stinkiest, bug bite relief I've ever used. My son can't take the smell but I can't take the itching so it's all I use.

Try adding some peppermint to it and/or Bee Balm (any of the Monarda species). Both will go well with the Plantain (helps relieve itchy bug bites) and will lend a nice smell to the tincture. Basil leaves also help relieve bug bites and smells nice.

We have them all in the South; flies, gnats, skeeters, chiggers. Peppermint works really well to deter flies and I've heard a neem leaf spray as well, but haven't tried that one yet.

Try adding some peppermint to it and/or Bee Balm (any of the Monarda species). Both will go well with the Plantain (helps relieve itchy bug bites) and will lend a nice smell to the tincture. Basil leaves also help relieve bug bites and smells nice.
Thank you I'm growing peppermint and bee balm so I will definitely try this in early summer.

I'm going to put this here if it's okay. Don't feel it's really a thread-worthy question and maybe it will spur more recipes. I'm getting ready to place an order for some essential oils. I keep quite a few on hand but am open to suggestions as to good ones to keep - in your opinion and for what? Even if I already have plenty of whatever you suggest, I will appreciate the feedback. I don't want to overlook any basics. I want to get them while I can.

My favorites (from NOW Foods company, Vitacost brands, and Plant Therapy brands only):

https://www.vitacost.com/ (they also carry the NOW brand as well.)
https://www.planttherapy.com/
Tea Tree oil
Eucalyptus oil
Lavender oil
Peppermint oil
Basil oil
Orange oil
Lemon oil

So many, many uses for them all: medicinally, household uses, and in the garden as well.

Last edited:
My favorites (from NOW Foods company, Vitacost brands, and Plant Therapy brands only):

https://www.vitacost.com/ (they also carry the NOW brand as well.)
https://www.planttherapy.com/
Tea Tree oil
Eucalyptus oil
Lavender oil
Peppermint oil
Basil oil
Orange oil
Lemon oil

So many, many uses for them all: medicinally, household uses, and in the garden as well.
Just added basil to the list. I have lots of it growing but not the oil. I have tea tree and eucalyptus but can't use them - am sensitive to them.

i like peppermint oil and ginger oil. i mix 50-50 and use some drops in tea or hot water for stomach issues.

i like tea tree oil for fighting infections.

some oils i use in a diffuser to just be mood listing, lemon, orange,grapefruit. i also have a locket that opebns with a pad that you put drops of EO on it--i like using lavendar and helichrysum.

Back