***HERBAL RECIPE BOX***

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tea Tree oil
Eucalyptus oil
Lavender oil

I just purchased these three and want to get a few more but am unsure what else to get. I know little about oils. I only want to get things that..
A. I don't have something else that works better.
B. Or I can't purchase or find in turbulent times.

I find it really good at supporting/ triggering immune response, like from back in the days when we got colds and flu s

Cough and cold syrup
  • Lemon/ whole
  • Ginger root (fresh works best)
  • Raw unfiltered honey

Wash the lemon and ginger root well. Cut up the lemon in small chewable pieces. Remove seeds as you go. Add to a clean jar. Dice or mince the ginger root. The smaller the better. Add ginger to the jar. Cover the lemon and ginger with honey. cover jar and store in the fridge.

Add several spoonfuls to hot water or tea and enjoy.

I have been using this for years to nip colds and the flu in the butt. I even give it to the girls. In a pinch I will take a spoonful or two straight from the jar. Yes, eat the lemon peel and all.

Just a little follow up on oil of oregano, This is just my own empirical data, but my experience is that when I put a couple of drops under my tongue when I was sick a while ago I "foamed like a rabid dog" it felt like my mouth was filling up with foamy saliva, If I do the same thing when feeling good, I just experience the heat of the oil, kind of a am I infected? test. I will however warn you that oil of oregano is hot, so if you can't handle something like franks sauce, you prolly don't want to try this.

I put a couple of drops under my tongue when I was sick a while ago I "foamed like a rabid dog" it felt like my mouth was filling up with foamy saliva,

I just did a little reading about Oregano oil. I would urge you not to take it that way again. Foaming is never a good thing.

From what I've read Oregano oil should not be taken pure. It should be diluted, water, tea etc and then drunk slowly.

Medicinally speaking European Oregano (what Oregano essential oil is made from) is similar to the north american plant Monarda fistulosa aka Sweet Leaf aka Beebalm, another mint family plant. There are differences. Most importantly I not aware of of anything Oregano oil can do that Monarda can't. I use monarda tincture often... a wonderful medicine.

Essential oils can be dangerous on a good day. They are a very concentrated form of plant chemicals. More than a few folks have to go see the doctor each year from Es Oil mishaps. One of the many reasons I don't normally bother with them. Recently I purchase a few bottles for the first time. Eucalyptus because it doesn't grow around here and lavender to add scent to sprays.

Tinctures have been made and used for millennia and comparatively speaking are far safer than oils. I've never heard of anyone going to the doctor because of a tincture.

Essential Oils are a relatively new thing, meaning the modern methods used to produce them. There is to little known about them but for the following... indications are

"Essential oils taken in full strength and in excess can be toxic to the liver, kidney and the nervous system"

Again, foaming mouth is a very very bad sign...

Last edited:
Back