Hey Preppers.....ya feelin' pretty smart right about now?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Tootsie, welcome from S.W. Oregon

we feel pretty good. But then you sit and think, pretty good goes to fair. 🤦‍♀️ We are trying to think of the next shortage. Right now, no canning lids to be found in our area. Thankfully I was stocked and also have tattlers. What kind scares me is, take canning lids for instance. Why is their a shortage? Heck stores around here use to have to put them on sale at end of season. Yes I know people are canning but that many people canning that they cant keep up? I feel they are holding back on some supplies. But back to my point... right now it is toilet paper and canning lids. What will it be in Oct? What do you use in the winters months? Heat yes, we use wood. But what about others? What is the next shortage? Thats what makes me nuts. What am I forgetting that I wish I would have thought of? I am even buying Christmas gifts now, figured it might be hard to get into stores and this mask bs, I refuse. So got some netting for relatives gardens, etc. good gifts that are not thought of by everyone.

I heard about a lid and jar shortage, but there are alot here. The Amish bulk store had the huge sleeves of lids for sale, and so does a little country store down the road from us an Amish lady runs. Even saw a few jars for a quarter at the thrift store today. So the shortage is regional. And my cousin has too much raw milk, and is thinking of selling alot of his cows because the milk company isn't even taking all of it. And they are paying him less than before for what he does sell. He also is certified organic, so he says he raises cows for the manure for the oat and wheat he grows. But when we were in Albuquerque, some days I couldn't buy milk anywhere and had to use powdered.
I wonder about what I've missed. So I'm really paying attention to what I'm using.

I have been blessed to have purchased several flats of wide mouth Quarts (9), pints(14), and a case of lids 2 years ago. Now, the thing is how to get them all filled. We are planning to do at least 1 batch of salsa. I have plenty of meat that I can make canned soups with, but some of the things like cut green beans and sweet baby peas may be a little lacking.

It's hard to keep a handle on everything in times like these.

I need to turn to my fall garden and finish rebuilding my warm raised bed tops soon, that way we can at least have fresh spinach through the winter. The lettuce will keep growing until just after Thanks Giving, but once we get down to single digit temperatures only the spinach will keep going...

I heard about a lid and jar shortage, but there are alot here. The Amish bulk store had the huge sleeves of lids for sale, and so does a little country store down the road from us an Amish lady runs. Even saw a few jars for a quarter at the thrift store today. So the shortage is regional. And my cousin has too much raw milk, and is thinking of selling alot of his cows because the milk company isn't even taking all of it. And they are paying him less than before for what he does sell. He also is certified organic, so he says he raises cows for the manure for the oat and wheat he grows. But when we were in Albuquerque, some days I couldn't buy milk anywhere and had to use powdered.
I wonder about what I've missed. So I'm really paying attention to what I'm using.

No jars or lids down here. The small store here had some at $5 a dozen. I read somewhere that rubbermaid, who makes Ball/Kerr and the Wal-Mart brand can't meet the lid orders.

I have reused lids in a pinch

I always re-use lids when PCing dog food. I have to do it every 2 months and if one doesn't seal it just goes in the fridge and gets used first. I also save them for "just in case" since I know it can be done.

we feel pretty good. But then you sit and think, pretty good goes to fair. 🤦‍♀️ We are trying to think of the next shortage........ What am I forgetting that I wish I would have thought of?.......

Thats where we are at, feeling pretty good, but pondering what we "haven't thought of".

Welcome Tootsie!

--Dwight & MissKitty

I have reused lids in a pinch
An older woman that was a friend of my wife many years ago, taught her how to reuse lids, but they had to be Ball lids because they had the best seal material, I've seen some lids that had gummy seal material that spread so thin the metal could be seen where it's supposed to seal, they were another major brand and we would never use them. Sad thing is that Ball lids have been cheapened and I'm not sure I'd trust them either.

Well, our area did have them last week, but no more to be found at the Amish stores. I'll check around the bigger stores in the big town later in the week. My favorite cousin's daughter had a fit and needed lids. I gave her a big bag of them, and still have enough for me. Husband looked for them online, and Amazon had a box of 12 lids, regular mouth for $6. 5 week delivery. Wow. Glad I have a ton of canning wax, too.

Hey Preppers.....ya feelin' pretty smart right about now?
No because soon I think we might have to start using all our preps, something I honestly thought would never happen.
I think we're about finished with our 'panic'.
The $2400 per month bonus for sitting on our butts is ending.
People are fed-up with the lies and ready to get back to work and get on with their lives.
brickwall100.gif

They have had enough of the "just 3 more weeks of lockdown", repeat, repeat, repeat. gaah
Remember, there are millions and millions out there that have ZERO prepped supplies.
They will not go hungry. We have at our fingertips the most powerful engine on the planet.
Somebody just pulled the 'choke' closed while it was running. :(

Last edited:
It's been 7 months since this thread was posted. At that time, we were seeing the first wave of panic stricken people coming out of the stores with tp stacked four feet high in their carts. I've been thinking of where I am now compared to those early days. Throughout these past months, I've continued to stock up. I don't even remember the last time I went into a grocery store but I have three different local stores that take online orders and I've used them all to take advantage of their sales. If they don't have something I ordered, I just resubmit that item in my next order and eventually I get everything I want. Never felt panicky or stressed, just plodded along. I could be relaxed about it because when it hit, I had enough to last several months so had time to restock.

From the beginning, I was most interested in seeing the reaction of people across the country who weren't prepared at all. I wanted to know how many people would learn from this. I watch videos on youtube every day and I'm seeing a lot of people posting about their preps - many of them are brand new to the idea of long term food storage. They show their shopping hauls and the shelves they've filled. They talk about the coming food shortages and how they are going to be able to provide for their families. They are from all over the country and from all ages, races and economic levels. These folks show so much pride in what they're accomplishing and it's a joy to see their excitement.

With everything that's going on now, I do think that many, many people are stockpiling for the winter and are expecting tougher times in the next few months. What about all of you? Are you expecting tougher times and are better prepared than before? Do you see people around you getting serious about prepping even if they never did before?

I've been noticing those on youtube, too. For some reason, a lot of newbie black preppers. The newbies are always entertaining, and I try to encourage them with a comment. It's interesting to see what newbies stock in the beginning. I've been doing this so long, that I guess I don't remember. Some crack me up, they'll call it a prepper pantry haul, and it's all frozen convenience food. Some newbies are really giving it alot of thought, and I think that's great! One lady I listened to today bought her first 5lb bag of flour and sugar. She says she never uses it, but thought she should have it. It is a huge step for people living in big cities who are used to eating out all the time.

Yes, I see so many newbie black preppers and love to watch them as they add to their stores and show them off. It's interesting to see some of the younger people who've started stocking up and doesn't seem to take most of them very long to change their focus from all convenience to some of the basics.

I haven't been following that much on you tube. But for us we have been steadily adding on to the stores. Garden did well. Decent fruit harvest too. We've picked up extra everytime we shop for anything. This is for everything, not just food.
As far as the future I do expect things to get worse this winter, maybe even leading into Thanksgiving. The election is a big question. I can see bad times coming no matter who wins, just different reasons. I am planning one if not 2 runs to Sams before the election. Probably a couple of on-line orders as well.

Starting in November, the stores have always had big sales through the holidays and I always stocked up big during that time. I'm kinda thinking the stores will try to do the same thing this year if at all possible. They really need those big holiday sales to keep them in the black. After the New Year, I just don't know. It sounds like there was a lot less food produced this last 7 months because of the lockdown and some poor harvests. The people in the cities that are being destroyed by the riots will probably be in bad shape and the truck drivers might not deliver to some of those places. Overall I think the outlook is pretty bleak so like all of us, I'm preparing for the worst but praying for the best.

I haven't been doing much extra stocking, but I have been slowly working my stores up to full capacity.... I went to the store yesterday and what I noticed was that there is some of everything on the shelves, some things special things were in short supply (from what I hear the crab season this year was very poor, saw some for $44/pound, someone else can have my share). I also noticed that the price of everything is still climbing. Got 4 paper bags of groceries and some soda, $200, also noticed that gasoline is climbing back up. If traffic is any indicator, people are now out and about so it will be interesting... With the President's quick recovery from COVID-19 and drug companies saying they will have 100,000 doses by the end of November, I think people are thinking, "It's History!). But with 1 dose for every 3500 people (in the US), I have to wonder who are the special ones who will get the cure and who will have to wait in line...... Personally, I think we are in for a long Winter....

People around us are tossing out thoughts here and there about stocking up, people who we never thought would. What got us thinking is civil unrest after the election and will they really try to NWO and try to confiscate all we have. Far fetched, yep but so are the headlines and what they spew.

I will not let anyone but my direct family know what stocks I have.... I prefer to stay "transparent" and quiet. I do my grocery shopping before daylight, I don't display a lot of tells that would make me a target, and I try to be observant moving about. I believe that if things get rough there are going to be people looking for an opportunity to take what they are "entitled to" from everyone around them.... Regardless of the election outcome, I think November to February is going to be a memorable period.

Latest posts

Back