Hey Preppers.....ya feelin' pretty smart right about now?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In summer I make dairy free "icecream" by blitzing up frozen bananas and frozen fruit - even frozen tinned fruit - together.
the texture is exactly like icecream...creamy and sweet and it's very hard to tell that it's dairy free.
I have a 90 ltr 12 volt camping fridge/ freezer and a small solar system so making banana icecream and storing it is doable.

We felt comfortable back in 2019, then in early 2020 we still felt good, but the restrictions on grocery's and sickness around here made us decide to check our out preps (Eat down our food storage and not buy any food) and we were no longer comfortable. The first month was easy, the second month the wife started complaining (she missed fresh bell pepper, cucumbers, and tomatoes with her salad: I had indoor lettuce growing), by the 3rd month we were out of Ice Cream and the wife really got upset, during the 4th month we ran out of unsalted mixed nuts and the wife said, "Heck NO GO TO THE STORE and get me my treats". I had heard the tails but was stunned when I hit the grocery store for the 1st time in 4 months, no meat, not much of anything really.... We had a really big list and found that using a combination of delivery, and shopping multiple stores we were able to re-stock to pre-pandemic levels and then we kept the peddle to the metal to continue expanding our supplies and our ability go grow much longer... I didn't solve the Ice Cream problem, but we are converting frozen meats into canned meals, which makes more room for ICE CREAM... not a years supply but enough to make my son roll his eyes...... I only have about 10 months of the nuts on hand, but over all we are much better off than we were in March 2020. We are canning every other day now, on the days in between we are doing things like stewing chickens to make stock for canning... Today, I canned tomato sauce (had it on the cooling racks by 06:00 and chicken vegetable soup started it at 18:00 and it is now on the cooling racks... Wife suggested that I find some beef short ribs to make beef stock with... She also wants to stew 2 more chickens tomorrow night... I have also been trying to address other areas of the prepping needs water, power, and security; but it is hard to do all this and keep a low profile...

The wife fears that when things go bad they will turn ugly really fast and I agree and believe that the best way to avoid confrontations is to appear that you are in the same boat as the unprepared......

One good thing about using home canned food is that they really reduce your trashcan footprint....
Nothing like being able to "live-test" your preps to expose weaknesses in your stocks.
Unfortunately we get the opportunity to test every year with the 'spinny things' that come up from the gulf.
Food stocks, gasoline, water, power, TP, all went fine.
Things we didn't think about: laundry detergent and cat litter. Who woulda thunkit?:dunno:
You test, you learn.:thumbs:

Nothing like being able to "live-test" your preps to expose weaknesses in your stocks.
Unfortunately we get the opportunity to test every year with the 'spinny things' that come up from the gulf.
Food stocks, gasoline, water, power, TP, all went fine.
Things we didn't think about: laundry detergent and cat litter. Who woulda thunkit?:dunno:
You test, you learn.:thumbs:
Between those things and Nor-Easters we get an opportunity to "practice" a couple days at a time. Don't forget either Dish Soap or disposable utensils......

As we age things affect us differently, the wife can no longer tolerate temperature swings, I have a "portable"HVAC unit that I can use to cool where she is in those events. I have lots of "tiny" power backups to keep her equipment running.. Our power only goes out when the wind blows so I need the ability to quick flip most things here.

Getting rid of salt takes practice. Husband's legs swell with salt, so fast food is the worst. Thankfully his heart is ok for now, but everything else needs work. Mom continues to eat salty junk and convenience food, so she takes lasix or her legs swell so bad she can't walk. Good you can your own stuff

You're right, but when you are on an absolute "no salt" diet and can't do much, 2 scoops of Ice Cream becomes a big treat. My dear wife has been fighting to stay alive for the last decade and if there is something that cheers her up and she wants it; you can bet you last dollar that I will be getting if for her.

Then again if the only holes you can find in your food storage after living off it for 4 months are nuts and Ice cream there weren't many holes to start with....

Fully understand. Happy spouse happy house. I am stocked up as can be but nowhere near ready for whats ahead. Enjoy what you can in the here and now because tomorrow might be different.

Keep some ZOTE bar soap around for the laundry soap, and there's always outside dirt or sand for the cat litter.
The one that caught me by surprise (but not us) was the sewer system, being overloaded by rainwater and shutting down. No toilet going to flush.
Where you gonna go? (We live in a neighborhood)
A picture of the lifesaver we had on hand is elsewhere on this forum.
We would have been 💩out of luck without it.(pun:D)

Last edited:
The one that caught me by surprise (but not us) was the sewer system, being overloaded by rainwater and shutting down. No toilet going to flush.
Where you gonna go? (We live in a neighborhood)
A picture of the lifesaver we had on hand is elsewhere on this forum.
We would have been 💩out of luck without it.(pun:D)

YA'll got a bucket? :)

I stumbled across this story today on James Rawle's blog. Not sure if anyone has posted it on this site, but here it is:

https://lulz.com/surviving-a-year-of-shtf-in-90s-bosnia-war-selco-forum-thread-6265/

Selco Begovics writings were checked out and found to have some factual errors that suggested his work is more fiction than historic.

He also suggested some quite odd advice like buying fake Rolex watches to trade with people during a severe crisis...........

I thought about this thread today and it's interesting to read thru the old posts. Ha, maybe everyone's preps are a store of wealth. That TP you stocked over a year ago is worth more today than it was back then. Heck, everything you stocked over a year ago are worth more today.

I'm making an extra effort to pay extra attention to the stuff I use every day so that I can make sure I'm stocked up. I get up and get dressed (have extra socks/undies/jeans/shoes) and go potty (have extra TP, water, bowl cleaners) brush teeth (toothpaste and toothbrushes)......and on and on through the day. It's the best way I know of to prepare for the needs of my life.

Covid and the panic associated with it was the impetus for this thread, but now it looks like we have another 'crises' called inflation (and perhaps morphing into hyperinflation). We all had the chance to top off our stocks and there is still some time left. Hopefully this will fizzle out like Covid did, but I'm not betting on it.

Covid and the panic associated with it was the impetus for this thread, but now it looks like we have another 'crises' called inflation (and perhaps morphing into hyperinflation). We all had the chance to top off our stocks and there is still some time left. Hopefully this will fizzle out like Covid did, but I'm not betting on it.

You would think we would have learned by now. We always go from crisis to crisis. There never seems to be any relief. Murphy came up with a law for a reason.

Actually I don't feel smart at all......then or now. Just more vulnerable because I have supplies that others don't. I will say that atleast some family members have figured it out and have some supplies of their own.

Also have a feeling of dread, like 'this is it, this is what I've been stocking up for, for so many years' and what will come with it. The current inflation, with hyperinflation and the probability of going into a Depression........and possibly war.

History repeats itself......just because we never learn from the time before.

It's one thing to feel relieved, grateful and blessed, but pride comes before a fall, so to feel smart and haughty about one's situation would be wrong. I'm not directing any accusations against anyone in this thread, but it's something we all should be reminded off so we don't slip into bad thinking or behaviors, especially as things spiral out of control.

Psalm 127:1 "Except the LORD build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the LORD keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain."

Doesn't matter how much food you have or how many rounds of ammunition you've got; or how many years of life experience, if God isn't with you--nothing you've done matters. Spiritual preparation is going to be far more important in the days ahead. A lot of anxious days; a lot of sorrow. Our only comfort and hope will be in Him.

I too feel a lot of dread. Everything we talked about; everything we planned for; it's here. I've read books on Mao's Famine; the Holodomor; the Siege of Leningrad; Auschwitz and how people behaved in times of great stress and famine and it's going to be bad. And my heart mourns for all the children and the animals.

But God has been merciful. People have had 2 years since COVID started (some receiving $600, and then $300 a week to prepare). 12 years since the Housing Market crash of 2008 and 20 years since 9/11. People knew these days were coming. Every body heard about it. There was a show on National Geographic about Doomsday Preppers. God does nothing without first revealing it to his servants. God revealed to Americans that the end was coming. And there's only so much sympathy I can have for those people who knew and who did nothing.

Isaiah 9:13-17 For the people turneth not unto him that smiteth them, neither do they seek the LORD of hosts. Therefore the LORD will cut off from Israel head and tail, branch and rush, in one day. The ancient and honourable, he is the head; and the prophet that teacheth lies, he is the tail. For the leaders of this people cause them to err; and they that are led of them are destroyed. Therefore the Lord shall have no joy in their young men, neither shall have mercy on their fatherless and widows: for every one is an hypocrite and an evildoer, and every mouth speaketh folly. For all this his anger is not turned away, but his hand is stretched out still.

Pride is wrong, for sure, but being well stocked reduces fear. We are told to provide for our family and those in need. Having a large stock to fall back on and being able to produce is such a relief.
I personally think it's just too late to convert new preppers. If they haven't figured it out by now, then oh well.

It's one thing to feel relieved, grateful and blessed, but pride comes before a fall, so to feel smart and haughty about one's situation would be wrong. I'm not directing any accusations against anyone in this thread, but it's something we all should be reminded off so we don't slip into bad thinking or behaviors, especially as things spiral out of control.

Doesn't matter how much food you have or how many rounds of ammunition you've got; or how many years of life experience, if God isn't with you--nothing you've done matters. Spiritual preparation is going to be far more important in the days ahead. A lot of anxious days; a lot of sorrow. Our only comfort and hope will be in Him.
Perhaps read the thread all the way through and not just the recent comments. This is not about Pride.......more about validation for those of us who saw this coming a long time ago. I have family members who think I'm nuts for thinking the way I do, yet they might just be changing their minds about that. This feeling doesn't come from a place of anger or superiority, but the feeling of validity does provide some comfort, security, and relief. My heart is still soft and my soul has always belonged to God. I know full well that he can take everything I have, including my life whenever he pleases. I am ready for that too. There's a reason he put us all here......if we haven't figured it out by now, maybe we will very soon.

There is a big difference in pride (arrogance) and pride of confidence, the biblical false humble isn't going to work, actual real humble due to real confidence does, Giving away your power to an outside source isn't going to keep you alive and healthy, knowing your self will and being firm in your resolve. If belief works now it should work then, We all have different paths and are at a different place on them. Being comfortable because we have put in effort to look after ourselves IMO is not prideful,
BTW, I typed this before @Angie post was up, but I think we both said about the same thing just different words.

@angie_nrs - I was clear that I wasn't accusing anyone, but I think everyone should be reminded of pride. I have seen personally, not on this forum, but elsewhere that validation turning into something more. That's why I said relief and gratefulness is one thing and specified that I wasn't accusing anyone in this thread.

There is no offense where none is taken.

Being proud that you were smart enough to get ready for bad times isn't being haughty. I'm very proud that I have worked to provide for myself in the times of hardship. I'm proud that my children don't have to worry about me so they can remain focused on their own families. I am proud for the many who did learn from the events of the last two years. One reason we've been seeing some empty shelves in the past year is because so many have been stocking up.

I haven't seen anyone on this forum wish ill to those who didn't have the foresight to make these preparations. I've seen the understanding that we can only prepare according to our abilities and are sometimes hindered by lack of money or space. I've seen an acceptance that those who refuse to open their eyes won't see the train coming at them but I've never seen judgement about how much one person has compared to someone else's preps.

Overall, I've seen faith that even in the final moments, God leaves the door open for us.

Being proud that you were smart enough to get ready for bad times isn't being haughty. I'm very proud that I have worked to provide for myself in the times of hardship.
Damn straight. I don't care what a stranger on the internet thinks if I'm "prideful" or not. lol
We've worked our behinds off for years to try to be able to handle any sort of difficulties that may come.
And yes I'm feeling pretty smart about having prepared for things.

IMO, most folks on here have looked their opportunity to stock up as following what God told Joseph to do during the 7 fat years, leading up to the 7 lean years. To me that is what this is all about.i was given a sound mind ( some would argue that point lol) and expects me to use it. We are told to take care of our families and that applies to long term as well as short term.

Being prideful is completely different from taking pride in one's accomplishments. Not take pride in your work or accomplishments doesnt lead to good things. Being prideful is a whole other story.

I speak for myself in this regard, because I know that I am a prideful person and it's something I always have to be mindful of. I'm sorry I got preachy -- I come from a family that's particularly religious. Dad's side is full of ministers, pastors, Sunday school teachers, and missionaries. So my mind diverts to Biblical topics all time, even if, perhaps, it's unwarranted or not welcomed. So I'll try to be more careful about not doing this again.

Despite being an unwelcomed comment, I opened a can of worms so I'm just going to give you insight into why I posted what I did and why I mentioned pride.

Years ago, I was proud about all the things I had done to try and get my family on firm foundation. Also around that time, we were studying the anti-Christ. And something pricked me.

Isaiah 10:12-15 So when the Lord has completed all His work against Mount Zion and Jerusalem, He will say, “I will punish the king of Assyria for the fruit of his arrogant heart and the proud look in his eyes. For he says: ‘By the strength of my hand I have done this, and by my wisdom, for I am clever. I have removed the boundaries of nations and plundered their treasures; like a mighty one I subdued their rulers. My hand reached as into a nest to seize the wealth of the nations. Like one gathering abandoned eggs, I gathered all the earth. No wing fluttered, no beak opened or chirped.’ ” Does an axe raise itself above the one who swings it? Does a saw boast over him who saws with it? It would be like a rod waving the one who lifts it, or a staff lifting him who is not wood!

God punishes the King of Assyria for his arrogance and his arrogance is that his says by my strength; my wisdom, because I am clever I have done all these things. When I saw 'smartness' brought up in the thread, it took me back to this verse and what I had been doing. Because I had knowledge and because I was smart and because I, me, I, me I, I, I.

And I didn't give God the glory. And that ate me up, because that is / will be one of the sins of the Beast power and why he gets punished.

I'm not accusing anyone of not giving the glory to God, but as humans it's very easy to take credit for our accomplishments. And as things spiral out of control, I have to remind myself daily that I did none of this. This was God's mercy towards me. I might have been the axe, but the axe doesn't boast against him who chops with it.

It's God who gave us this knowledge, who gave us time, gave us financial blessings, good health, miracles of diverse sorts, and who knows what else.

Bacpacker mentioned Joseph, but Joseph didn't take credit for his preps. He gave God the glory. [Gen. 45:7-8]

My post wasn't directed at anybody, except, myself, really as a reminder that if I don't give God the glory, I built up everything in vain.

There is no offense where none is taken.
No offense taken, albeit, it did come across as a bit preachy. I appreciate the explanation.

For context, this post was first put up during the great TP shortage at the beginning of Covid. At the time, I found it a bit amusing that people were grabbing every bit of TP they could get their hands on. It just seemed to me that there were other (more important) things that should have run out before TP. It just reaffirmed part of what I was preparing for.....the unpredictability and panic of others. I had plenty of TP at home during that time, but I wasn't 'prideful' about it. It seems so weird to type that. LOL! And I certainly would have shared (and actually did share some) with friends or family that needed it.

During this journey, I've had some forethought wins and I am grateful for them. I know that God was behind all of them via his guidance in my life. I won't say that it doesn't feel good to be validated, b/c it does. However, I'm not rubbing anyones nose in it b/c I know it ain't over yet and I'm vulnerable too. The reason I posted it here was b/c this is THE place that I know people would understand that feeling. It's nothing to be ashamed of IMHO. I'm not righteous or all-knowing, but I do pay attention and listen to what's going on. I know I am flawed and I'm not always right. God has his way of reminding me of that. But I will still take a bit of joy in the small wins when they come my way and I hope others do too. The more people that are ready for the next crises, the better off everyone will be. If there weren't any victories to be had along the way, nobody would bother to keep going.

You speak for yourself, @Katie Müller, and I appreciate that - but I find a nugget for me to personally contemplate from the things you have posted.

I'm not prideful about what I have accomplished, because I haven't accomplished much of anything - I'm overwhelmed at times, feeling so very behind. While I have a heart of gratitude for God's presence in my life, I am realizing that I am failing to lean on God for the things I haven't accomplished - and isn't that failure to lean on Him a form of pride? For in failing to lean on Him, I am failing to recognize that I can only accomplish what I need to accomplish through Him.

Just something for me to ponder...

Wife and I knew something was coming many years ago, what's not apparent is how things would come about, who knew Covid would factor in, we were looking at the debt to GDP levels and saying they could not be sustained, yeah, we're going to have economic problems, we just didn't realize were some of the problems would come from, thing is, when these problems are all mixed together, it creates a super problem that can't be fixed and that's something the PTB doesn't want to admit and it's what we've strived to prepare for. We have friends that have been ridiculed heavily about their preparations, what's going on now and things to come are going to be a rude awakening and they may well hate you for what you have done, so be very careful allowing anyone to join you from now on, you may end up having to be very rude to family or friends and tell them that you don't have enough to even take care of your own family. I hate to say it but things may come to blows in order to protect your immediate family, what's coming is probably not going to be pretty, you may have to tell family and friends that you are devorsing them because they are going to be unhealthy for your close family.

I think we are all being spiritually prompted to get our houses in order, you need to be humble enough to listen, obedient enough to act on those promptings, and steadfast enough to continue to the end. When you feel so confident in yourself that you become prideful and say I did all this and it's all me... Well that is an open invitation requesting a lesson on humility.

For me personally every time, I brag on my family I am rewarded with a helping of humble pie..

I assume that all the folks on this site are doing what they are prompted to do, and they share it with us to help us along our learning journey, that is not being prideful it is being helpful. When things work we like to share it, when things don't work that is also good information, but we are often times unwilling to admit we have made a mistake.

As for the prepping, well to be honest I feel like I have a big black bear nipping at my heals and I hope I can make it to safety before he overwhelms me.

Damn straight. I don't care what a stranger on the internet thinks if I'm "prideful" or not. lol
We've worked our behinds off for years to try to be able to handle any sort of difficulties that may come.
And yes I'm feeling pretty smart about having prepared for things.
WELL SAID!

Latest posts

Back