HF radio model thoughts

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacpacker

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Wife and I were talking tonight about the state of things currently. We used to be very active in our local EmComm group for years. I was the leader for 11 years and we are still on the board for the 501C3 group we formed to accept donation. But since I resigned as EC a few years ago we backed away to let new folks run things as they saw fit. And we have mostly not been on the air much at all. Anyway, we're thinking it's time to get back at it to some degree. I need to replace some HT batteries, mount some mobile rigs in our vehicles, install some new antennas at the house, and set up a battery system for power the radios in the house, solar powered of course.

I have my general class ticket, but never got into HF other than at some Field Day events. I'd like to gain that capability, but I want to go with a mobile rig for now so I could take it when we travel, go camping, or if we needed to bug out for some reason. I've been looking at a Yeasu FT-891 so far. Small 100W rig that will run 6M as well. I found one for $609. Not a bad price for a HF rig IMO.

My question is what model rigs do you folks run? Other question, what modes do you operate on? Any digital modes? A buddy of mine was big into Winlink 2000 when I was active. I used it on 2M, and could link into HF with the proper path. But never used it straight HF. I have no idea about other digital modes.
Any hints, tips, thoughts are greatly apprecieated.

Of the hams I know with mobile HF rigs, the 891 is the hands down most popular.

Winlink Express is the "current" name for the winlink software. If the moon is right, and the stars align, I can send a message through my FT-991A Future project is a signallink interface to my Kenwood 2mtr rig for ecomms.

Thanks Dade. I've read a bunch of reviews and haven't found a bad one yet. I've always had good luck with Yeasu rigs.

I liked using Winlink. We (the EmComm group) put up a Digi just for Winlink. Used it a fair amount for exercises. It was great for transferring ARC forms from shelter locations. Even our EOC thought highly of the capability when we demonstrated it for them. We ran APRS for a long time as well.

Well, Field Day is TOMORROW. Do you have any clubs in your area? Can you go to one of their events? That would be a good way to get to at least view, if not operate, some of the radios out there.

Around here, the ICOM IC-7300 is very popular. I think that everywhere it is a popular choice. It is quite small, only slightly bigger than the FT-981 (which is a very solid choice itself). I don't have my General license yet, so I don't have an HF rig. But if I were getting into HF right now, the IC-7300 would be my choice. Our club has a couple of them, and I got to use one in a previous class (receive only, so legal). They are indeed nice. And quite small.

For the VHF/UHF stuff I am planning on getting an ICOM IC-2730A. Currently, I only have two handhelds.

https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=71-002065
https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=71-001866
For the HF antenna, this is what I am currently planning on (obviously, this is not a mobile choice):

https://hamcall.net/7bandocf.html#4band
For the VHF/UHF antenna, I have these two that I'm currently using from my deck (temporary), but I plan to mount the Ed Fong one on the roof:

About (I have the DBJ-1 model, just not installed yet)

2 Meter Break-a-way J-Pole Antenna - KB9VBR Antennas (I have the break-away model)

The J-Pole is good for 2m, but not so good for 70cm. The Ed Fong model is good for both 2m and 70cm.

The Icom 7300 looks like a sweet radio. Lots of features. For a home based radio and for the cost it's probably top of the charts right now. Yeasu FT-991 would be a comparable rig I'm guessing.

Not familiar with the IC-2730A. I run older Kenwood THD-700's at home and in the vehicles. I love them, cross band repeat, and APRS function made them the top choice for me. Several folks had them in our group and we bought 2 for the group. Not sure what model replaced it, but as long as it's been around I bet there is a new model.

I haven't decided on a mobile antenna yet. For home use I have a Cushcraft Vertical and a Carolina Windom wire and intend to install both and run a switch between them.
I have a new Jet Stream high gain dual band antenna to install. I also have a roll up J-pole in the attic for use during storms.

Wife and I were talking tonight about the state of things currently. We used to be very active in our local EmComm group for years. I was the leader for 11 years and we are still on the board for the 501C3 group we formed to accept donation. But since I resigned as EC a few years ago we backed away to let new folks run things as they saw fit. And we have mostly not been on the air much at all. Anyway, we're thinking it's time to get back at it to some degree. I need to replace some HT batteries, mount some mobile rigs in our vehicles, install some new antennas at the house, and set up a battery system for power the radios in the house, solar powered of course.

I have my general class ticket, but never got into HF other than at some Field Day events. I'd like to gain that capability, but I want to go with a mobile rig for now so I could take it when we travel, go camping, or if we needed to bug out for some reason. I've been looking at a Yeasu FT-891 so far. Small 100W rig that will run 6M as well. I found one for $609. Not a bad price for a HF rig IMO.

My question is what model rigs do you folks run? Other question, what modes do you operate on? Any digital modes? A buddy of mine was big into Winlink 2000 when I was active. I used it on 2M, and could link into HF with the proper path. But never used it straight HF. I have no idea about other digital modes.
Any hints, tips, thoughts are greatly apprecieated.

Since you have HTs and your renewed interest sounds to be more prepping related - why not consider triband radios?

They would allow you to use your vehicle mounted radio as a mobile base station for your HT net.

I gather the FT857D is out of production now, but they are every bit as good a HF as the FT891 and they can work with your HTs. They can be bought second hand for about the price of a new 891.

If you get any Yaesu HF, and are going to (or may need to) use it mobile, take a look at the ATAS 25 and ATAS 120 auto tuning antennas - they are very quick to deploy and (auto) tune.

I run a Xiegu G90 - 20W SDR. It's the size of a mobile rig, inexpensive, has an excellent built-in 10:1 tuner, and has a very sensitive receiver. I run digital modes (FT8 and JS8 mostly) as well as SSB. I've had no trouble reaching all over the world in digital mode on 20W (heck, I'm reaching all over the world on 5W with WSPR), and I've hit all over North/Central/South America and made a few contacts in Europe on SSB.

Another consideration is an Icom IC-705. It does HF/VHF/UHF and has many of the features of the IC-7300 but in a smaller package. Power is somewhat low at 10W and I think you will need either a resonant antenna or an external tuner (I don't think it has one built-in).

Since you have HTs and your renewed interest sounds to be more prepping related - why not consider triband radios?

They would allow you to use your vehicle mounted radio as a mobile base station for your HT net.

I gather the FT857D is out of production now, but they are every bit as good a HF as the FT891 and they can work with your HTs. They can be bought second hand for about the price of a new 891.

If you get any Yaesu HF, and are going to (or may need to) use it mobile, take a look at the ATAS 25 and ATAS 120 auto tuning antennas - they are very quick to deploy and (auto) tune.

The 857 is what I was familiar with. Sorry to see it was out of production. I did find one on ebay, but it was 300 bucks more used than the 891. And was in Athens Greece. I'd have to choose the new one with warranty.
The xiego sounds like a decent rig from what I've read.
The icon 705 sounds like the older low powered radio they sold. Nice rigs

Actually, the IC-705 is brand new - came out after the IC-7300. It's worth a look.

Good luck and let us know what you end up getting.

Latest posts

Back