Hi everyone, from Hooch

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
me too...what a positive difference here too. Ill always love the geographical diversity and beauty of my home state, especially the northern pacific coastline butting right up to majestic trees, however the crazy wasn't worth it anymore.
It seems I made a break for it ahead of the herd. Just this year alone, 80% of the new people moving here are from cali. Lots of retiring folks from military and LE too..
I would expect that there will be many more people moving to Idaho, Montana and Wyoming.

I hate to admit it but there is some truth to this...this year was the first year my property taxes went up a little. On the flip side, new money in town, construction, etc has brought life into some of these small towns that were struggling. I guess it will be a bit of a juggling act for the more rural counties to provide growth and balance to the native old timers and new potential folks.

I finally bought a new computer...Its only been about 3 years that I haven't been able to participate in forums and/ or other social media that slowly have been giving me the boot due to old hardware.
I'm excited to see old folks from the other forum and meet new folks on this one...
To those who knew me..I escaped N. Cali..moved to rural Idaho in last 3 years..building up a homestead here and loving my slice of serenity. From Corrections to working in a sawmill now..interesting adventures so far
Hi :) damb glad to be back...
Good to see you on here!

I hate to admit it but there is some truth to this...this year was the first year my property taxes went up a little. On the flip side, new money in town, construction, etc has brought life into some of these small towns that were struggling. I guess it will be a bit of a juggling act for the more rural counties to provide growth and balance to the native old timers and new potential folks.
Welcome, Hooch...

Congrats for leaving Fail-ifornia. I generally work there in the winter and I daresay I would take the cold and snow of home over the garbage, crime, and dirty needles that cover Southern Cali. Do you worry that all the Cali Commies moving to Idaho will effectively change your area into California East, like they did with the mass migration into Colorado?

Welcome, Hooch...

Congrats for leaving Fail-ifornia. I generally work there in the winter and I daresay I would take the cold and snow of home over the garbage, crime, and dirty needles that cover Southern Cali. Do you worry that all the Cali Commies moving to Idaho will effectively change your area into California East, like they did with the mass migration into Colorado?
well...I guess that will be a mystery until folks are known? Ive meet a few just in my area/county so far. They are all conservative minded folks who are grateful for Idaho and it's pioneer spirit still intact at least in this rural area. A ton of Cali folks are moving closer to the Boise area. Close too college and city life so I can guess the mindset of many..maybe not all but generally speaking that lifestyle seems to generally attract folks who are well...not redneck.
A few long time locals around here have been open with me in their concern that they see the growth here and what will that bring. While they realize the benefit of some added folks, they are concerned about their way of life and mindset getting muddled. Since the local pop is still the majority and from whom Ive met from cali are likeminded..Im guessing in about 20 years concern will be more needed.
I explained to a coworker that I see this area like my hometown I grew up in in cali. Rural, redneck, sparce population, conservative minded. It is part of what attracted me to here. And it took about 20 years for it to become a bedroom community for folks who wanted a rural life but close to a big city , shopping, culture etc.
Soon it became the hub and it was no longer rural.
I hope this area remains hidden..but with the amount of property being sold and whatnot..Im seeing a trend that is concerning. However, In this area..One can buy property but it has to have a existing well to build upon. No well permits have been issued in years due to the drought. that will change someday but it might buy me time.
I will go with the flow...should it become too crowded I will sell and move eventually. In the meantime I will make the best of it..
Its how I roll...

Ha ha!!! Hooch, no worries! She is a really nice lady.

Speaking of nice....Your name? Hooch? I'll bet that has a nice story behind it, lol. Reminds me of the old Sourdough days, when the mountain-men guarded their sourdough hooch with their lives...it must have given them quite a buzz, too.

Ha ha!!! Hooch, no worries! She is a really nice lady.

Speaking of nice....Your name? Hooch? I'll bet that has a nice story behind it, lol. Reminds me of the old Sourdough days, when the mountain-men guarded their sourdough hooch with their lives...it must have given them quite a buzz, too.
Hooch is my dogs name..lol..mumm..love sourdough!! fresh from the oven and heated with butter and garlic on the wood stovie....yum..My friends husband gave me a loaf last winter of his first fresh batch. I ate the whole loaf that night. I had the stove going, snowing outside and was reading...the whole loaf :/ lol...

I'm glad we got the name and genders all cleared up.I knew of two meaning for "hooch" and I was waiting to find out which the name was standing for.
In country a hooch was a hut that you lived in and it came equipped with a maid. The other hooch I was familiar with came out of a pot still after you threw the first pint out. You wouldn't go blind drinking it but you might wish you had the next day. My sourdough starter skips the alcohol process and just goes sour.

Wow @Hooch sorry, we were both assuming some interesting things. I thought you were a guy, you thought I was a guy. That must mean we don't bat our eyelashes when we're writing.
:LOL:
hahahaha!! A interesting mix up for sure... No I don't mince words..I do try to make them somewhat comprehensible and interesting. Ok... well.. at least before my coffee. And I try to be somewhat batty eyed even when I'm assertive. Like yesterday, at the mill I work at I was having electrical issues. I knew what sensor It was coming from because its not my first rodeo with this problem. The electrican comes about all pissy and frustrated. He get on top of my machine and wants me to power it up and cycle it so he can see the problem. After all the accidents I have either witnessed recently or been the caregiver too at my worksite..I flat out refused and stated with a smile.." not while your on it." He was all cuss words.."I have to f*****g see what the problem is as it cycles.." I said, " I understand that..(smiles) find another way or get off my f*****g machine..Ive had enough of people getting maimed around me lately" He chills out and said, "Ok..****..let me go under"
Ive met a few of the folks on here in person.they can vouch for my girlieness..I'm glad we cleared this up and look forward to reading your adventures!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad we got the name and genders all cleared up.I knew of two meaning for "hooch" and I was waiting to find out which the name was standing for.
In country a hooch was a hut that you lived in and it came equipped with a maid. The other hooch I was familiar with came out of a pot still after you threw the first pint out. You wouldn't go blind drinking it but you might wish you had the next day. My sourdough starter skips the alcohol process and just goes sour.
Ive had some of that grain al-kee-hall before.. I recall it was smooth, I recall a little bit goes a long way..I recall I don't recall much after.. :) just vague goings on at the pig roast and a ride home..ahh...those were the days...

oh no!! I cursed a tad and was corrected..Im sorry..can I say ****?? or dang..whats the rules? lol..like I said..I don't mince words but I'm ok with elevating my standard on word selection...I know.. I'm a sinner..I say **** a lot along with other words especially at work. but if it offends folks Ill be more lady like with my potty mouth..dang and darn will suffice..

Latest posts

Back