Hi from the UK.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't forget about evaporative cooling. It's easy enough to play with & try out using clay pots.
thanks.. our dew point round here won't go below about 15C at the moment, UK is notoriously damp.. not always raining.. but rarely below 50% RH, often over 80%, right now it's 19C and 75% RH, not sure what cooling we'd get from evaporative.. judging with how wet I get on runs, not that much!

EDIT, found a calculator, put our weather conditions in and 2~3C temperature reduction. supply air | drop temperature calculator - Evaporative Cooling Calculations ToolKit but at least I have an idea now.. It might have worked!

Last edited:
thanks.. our dew point round here won't go below about 15C at the moment, UK is notoriously damp.. not always raining.. but rarely below 50% RH, often over 80%, right now it's 19C and 75% RH, not sure what cooling we'd get from evaporative.. judging with how wet I get on runs, not that much!

EDIT, found a calculator, put our weather conditions in and 2~3C temperature reduction. supply air | drop temperature calculator - Evaporative Cooling Calculations ToolKit but at least I have an idea now.. It might have worked!
See how much the numbers change with airflow and figure out if you can rig a way to obtain said airflow. Where there's a will there's a way!

Sometimes you have to create fire to make ice!

See how much the numbers change with airflow and figure out if you can rig a way to obtain said airflow. Where there's a will there's a way!

Sometimes you have to create fire to make ice!
airflow doesn't help.. you can get megawatts of cooling from evaporative.. but the maximum temperature drop here is woefully inadequate.. the calculator points out it's only 2-3C maximum. so today I can pull our 19C down to about 16C, that's it.

airflow doesn't help.. you can get megawatts of cooling from evaporative.. but the maximum temperature drop here is woefully inadequate.. the calculator points out it's only 2-3C maximum. so today I can pull our 19C down to about 16C, that's it.
You must have humidity like we do here in the southeast. Evaporative cooling needs very low humidity levels to work well.

Maybe I'm mixing up what I learned but I was thinking the airflow increased evaporation and therefore cooled more than passive evaporation.

Greetings from the west end of Lake Superior US....
I have been on forums where there were a couple other posters from the UK.. Both from the north and east sides.. Like things posted on the Australian forum... Many of the same issues with differences in solutions and such according to the differences in the continents...

Greetings from the state of Georgia! (Named for one of your kings, btw). Lot of my family is English, and way back in the misty past used to have the profession of guarding cattle. As I understand it cattle thieving used to pretty common in them parts.

Latest posts

Back