Hi from ThePrincess

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome from South Texas

I've been doing Kung Fu for 25 years. I've also been taking TaeKwonDo and Hapkido with my granddaughter for about a year. She outranks me.

Welcome to here, Princess Neb!

Wow, Kung Fu, Hapkido, and TaeKwonDo...Ha! I'll bet Prince Neb is a well-behaved chap!

Many years ago I had a girlfriend with red hair, she was dangerous enough without Kung Fu training, also a few red headed girls that I thought, at the time, were a bit more interested in me than I thought they should be, looking back, I think I should have had more consideration of their interest, I'm thinking that I was a bit stupid about that situation.

Welcome, your Highness, from Colorado!

"Princes and princesses must be addressed differently. For a prince, say, "His Royal Highness, Prince of (Name of Country). For a princess, say, "Her Royal Highness, Princess of (Name of Country)."
Her nickname evolved.

She her mother and my mother were all named the same! Let's pretend it is Jane.

Early in our dating I took her to a medieval dinner theatre that was like a royal banquet in the middle ages. They introduced her as "Lady Jane". I picked up on that and called her that until one day she did something that prompted me to declare "You're not just a lady but a Priness"

We continue to this day

First name "The"
Second name "Princess"

Ben

Many years ago I had a girlfriend with red hair, she was dangerous enough without Kung Fu training, also a few red headed girls that I thought, at the time, were a bit more interested in me than I thought they should be, looking back, I think I should have had more consideration of their interest, I'm thinking that I was a bit stupid about that situation.
She claims both Scottish and Viking heritage.

Need I say I don't fight with her!

Ben

She claims both Scottish and Viking heritage.

Need I say I don't fight with her!

Ben
So, when I want to sound threatening, I tell people that my heritage is 1/2 Viking and a 32nd Sioux and go on to mention that the Viking half used to take the skulls of their enemies, clean them out, dry them and use the skulls for drinking mead and as to the Sioux heritage they would bury a live person next to an ant hill, who knows what I would do as I also have a bit of Irish and French in my mix as well. The truth is that I don't know what all my heritage did, my grandparents on my dad's side came from Norway, late 1910's he was a home builder in the Seattle and Kitsap county area and may have been a home builder in Norway, not sure that any of the earlier ancestors did the Viking thing.

So, when I want to sound threatening, I tell people that my heritage is 1/2 Viking and a 32nd Sioux and go on to mention that the Viking half used to take the skulls of their enemies, clean them out, dry them and use the skulls for drinking mead and as to the Sioux heritage they would bury a live person next to an ant hill, who knows what I would do as I also have a bit of Irish and French in my mix as well. The truth is that I don't know what all my heritage did, my grandparents on my dad's side came from Norway, late 1910's he was a home builder in the Seattle and Kitsap county area and may have been a home builder in Norway, not sure that any of the earlier ancestors did the Viking thing.
I will defer to @ThePrincess .

Ben

Her nickname evolved.

She her mother and my mother were all named the same! Let's pretend it is Jane.

Early in our dating I took her to a medieval dinner theatre that was like a royal banquet in the middle ages. They introduced her as "Lady Jane". I picked up on that and called her that until one day she did something that prompted me to declare "You're not just a lady but a Priness"

We continue to this day

First name "The"
Second name "Princess"

Ben
I know a family where every female is named Margaret. Everyone of them uses a form of that name: Margie, Margo, Meg, ... As a genealogist, I can tell you that that wreaks havoc when trying to keep people separate. I have more than 10 men in my family tree whose first name is John, but they all have the same last name! Even more interesting is that some are my mother's ancestors and some are my fathers. They are only related through my parent's marriage. It is not a common name and they are from different parts of then Bohemia, now Czechia, so not related.

We have the same problem with names in our community and other Amish communities. So if you're a married man named Enos and your wife is Lydia, then when referring to you and your wife or even just to your wife, you are called Enos Lydia. Another way to differentiate is with nicknames. My grandpa Enos Yoder is called Buck Enos. There are many Enos Yoders, but only Buck Enos. There is a Stingy John and a Sherfy (acts like a sheriff) Joe. And my favorite cousin's daughter married a Miller from Indiana Amish, but her maiden name is Miller, so no name change.

Funny how names bring up memories, in the town of Bremerton, Washington there was a guy named Ron Yoder, he was the guy you would go to to rent a searchlight or public address systems for fairs, cars sales specials or new business openings, this was back in the 1950's. He probably got his searchlights from Army surplus because that time period was just after WW II.

We have the same problem with names in our community and other Amish communities. So if you're a married man named Enos and your wife is Lydia, then when referring to you and your wife or even just to your wife, you are called Enos Lydia. Another way to differentiate is with nicknames. My grandpa Enos Yoder is called Buck Enos. There are many Enos Yoders, but only Buck Enos. There is a Stingy John and a Sherfy (acts like a sheriff) Joe. And my favorite cousin's daughter married a Miller from Indiana Amish, but her maiden name is Miller, so no name change.
Our wedding photographer was setting up for the bride, groom, and parents picture.

He said "Jane move a little to your left." and half of people moved left.

He was confused but we laughed.

Ben

Back