Hi from Upstate NY

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chickenrun

Friend
Neighbor
Hello from beautiful upstate NY. I am a lifelong gardener, which started at a very young age in my grandparent's garden, small, less than an acre homesteader for the last 13ish years. You know the adage that chickens are the gateway drug to homesteading? That would be me. My friend's hubby built me a chicken coop and they gave me 4 chickens, which has grown to 30 last time I counted. I also do meat birds in the summer and a few pigs every couple of years. I do most of the homesteading myself as hubby works long hours but he is willing to build me any infrastructure I want. I have 5 grown children and 4 adorable grandchildren. My eldest has taken on the homesteading lifestyle as well with the recent purchase of 5 acres a year ago, they already have hens and did a round of meat birds. Looking forward to chatting!

Welcome to the forum.
Question: What does "Upstate New York" mean.......??? Buffalo area or Watertown area.....???

Welcome from Alaska!

I am just 20 minutes south of Watertown.

Nice area. I’ve visited FT Drum and did some hiking and canoeing in the lovely areas east of there.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome from S.W. Oregon, many years ago, yeah I'm that old, I considered that if I was to move to the east that upstate New York sound like a pretty good place to end up. As it turned out, wife, son and I ended out here in what we consider paradise, the only thing I didn't figure on was that the Pacific North Coast would turn into what is now considered the "Left Coast", where we have some of the worst governors that are running things into the ground, you are not doing much better for governors back east either.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome from S.W. Oregon, many years ago, yeah I'm that old, I considered that if I was to move to the east that upstate New York sound like a pretty good place to end up. As it turned out, wife, son and I ended out here in what we consider paradise, the only thing I didn't figure on was that the Pacific North Coast would turn into what is now considered the "Left Coast", where we have some of the worst governors that are running things into the ground, you are not doing much better for governors back east either.
You're not wrong about governors. If it weren't for my aging parents, we would move elsewhere, but I do love my 4 seasons. I could live without the snow - we are smack dab in the middle of the snow belt so some years we get feet upon feet of the white stuff. I would like a slightly longer growing season but I'll take what I have.

Welcome from Rochester, NY!

Back