Hi-I'm Aerindel

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aerindel

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Hello all.

I'm a middle aged guy living on ten acres up in the woods in Montana in a self built, hardened, straw bale construction tower with my wife and little girl...

....well, that was how it started. The medieval 'Bastille house' concept heavily influenced me.

Now its turning into a little compound with additions, shop, wood sheds, greenhouse, chickens coop....etc. It doesn't grow fast...but every year there is more here.

I have a background in the SCA, EMS (EMT and firefighter for 15 years) welding, blacksmithing, IPSC, vehicle repair....plumbing.....off grid.....well....bees (ex-bees....couldn't keep them alive) you will get the idea. Hopefully I will meet a lot of more people who basically build, fix and grow things. I've never had much money, usually found a way to build what I needed rather than buy it. Never afraid to do something 'weird' if its what I think will fix my problem....or if I'm just bored...:)

I'm not an expert on anything....except being me....and some days I wonder about that.

But I do know a lot about the things I've done and will happily help anyone trying to do the same.

A couple pics of my place:

R2Sapoj.jpg

z6jxAaV.jpg

Welcome Aerindel!
C'mon over to the fire and have a seat. Grab a cup of what you want on your way over.
I'm just the cranky old man in SE Washington - always watching, waiting, to go to work.

Hi old friend! Good to see you here! As you can see, this place has a wide variety of rooms, including some that every prepper and survivalist like yourself will enjoy. I think that you will also like the homestead-y rooms that also include primitive living skills, and foraging (for wild edilbes).

Oh, and surprise: zero trolls, and great moderation. All in all, it is a fine place to hang yer hat.

Welcome from Colorado!

Your name is familiar. I do visit other forums once in a while, so I have probably seen you in one of those places.

I love the look of the outside of your home. I would love to see photos of the inside. I have often thought that we could be better protected if we did a wall around our home and garden area, or had all of our buildings connected in a way to create a safe space in the middle. It never occurred to me of the possibility of building a wall with hay bales until now. I had thought of something such as 4 shipping containers put together in a square with an open space in the middle, but know there are some challenges with that idea.

Hello all.

I'm a middle aged guy living on ten acres up in the woods in Montana in a self built, hardened, straw bale construction tower with my wife and little girl...

....well, that was how it started. The medieval 'Bastille house' concept heavily influenced me.

Now its turning into a little compound with additions, shop, wood sheds, greenhouse, chickens coop....etc. It doesn't grow fast...but every year there is more here.

I have a background in the SCA, EMS (EMT and firefighter for 15 years) welding, blacksmithing, IPSC, vehicle repair....plumbing.....off grid.....well....bees (ex-bees....couldn't keep them alive) you will get the idea. Hopefully I will meet a lot of more people who basically build, fix and grow things. I've never had much money, usually found a way to build what I needed rather than buy it. Never afraid to do something 'weird' if its what I think will fix my problem....or if I'm just bored...:)

I'm not an expert on anything....except being me....and some days I wonder about that.

But I do know a lot about the things I've done and will happily help anyone trying to do the same.

A couple pics of my place:

R2Sapoj.jpg

z6jxAaV.jpg
That is storybook man!

Add a wall around the complex and stucco the tower and you are "the master of all you perceive" (Yurtle the Turtle")

I am going to share your images with my better-half The Princess.

Welcome from SW PA.

"Just doing the next right thing"

Ben

Welcome Aerindel! I am glad to see you here! I think you will enjoy this place immensely!

Welcome to this great forum, and very nice people.

And you know me as 6.8spc on Survival Boards.

That is a pretty sweet tower. Welcome to the forum.

You should see the INSIDE! Maybe Aer can be persuaded to post a thread about how this thing was constructed. It is danged near fire AND assault proof, as well.

You should see the INSIDE! Maybe Aer can be persuaded to post a thread about how this thing was constructed. It is danged near fire AND assault proof, as well.

I will. Right now there is a little bit of a weather event coming down on us and I'm outside stacking firewood as fast as I can. Which isn't as fast as I like, hence taking a break and writing this post.

I will. Right now there is a little bit of a weather event coming down on us and I'm outside stacking firewood as fast as I can. Which isn't as fast as I like, hence taking a break and writing this post.

Check yer PM.

Wish we could all help you! But here's my contribution to your firewood pile, lol.

:camping:

When you live where you need firewood there are only two seasons; Winter and getting ready for winter. ;)

Welcome from western New York!

You have a nice place!

Latest posts

Back