Hiking boots

Discussion in 'HIking, Camping, Backpacking' started by Patchouli, Oct 19, 2018.

Help Support Homesteading Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Oct 19, 2018 #1

Patchouli

Patchouli

Patchouli

Patriot Neighbor HCL Supporter

This is unfamiliar territory for me. I realize what is needed for prairie hiking vs. what is needed for Appalachian Trail hiking will be different.
    And everyone's preferences vary.
    I think boots are probably my first priority.
    What do you look for when it comes to boots?

2. Oct 19, 2018 #2

zoomzoom

zoomzoom

zoomzoom

Awesome Friend Neighbor HCL Supporter

At my age, weight is a big factor. Heavy just wears me out faster.
    After that, I look at comfort, waterproof & puncture resistance (in that order).

3. Oct 19, 2018 #3

The Lazy L

The Lazy L

The Lazy L

Old Cowpoke Neighbor HCL Supporter

Military surplus. I figured they have researched, designed, found the best materials, paid top dollar and resell at low dollar.

Terri9630, Meerkat and Patchouli like this.
  4. Oct 19, 2018 #4

zoomzoom

zoomzoom

zoomzoom

I was going to mention military boots but I haven't worn them in years so I don't know anything about the newer ones. The ones I wore when in the USMC back in the 1980's were good. A little longer to break in for me since I have wide feet.

Meerkat and Patchouli like this.
  5. Oct 19, 2018 #5

The Lazy L

The Lazy L

The Lazy L

Old Cowpoke Neighbor HCL Supporter

Son was given a pair from a military friend. A 1/2 size too small for the son, fit me perfectly. I believe these are the ones: https://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-BELLE...S-BOOTS-3-5-W-300-DES-ST-GW19BB-/273506155247

Sewingcreations15 and Patchouli like this.
  6. Oct 19, 2018 #6

Patchouli

Patchouli

Patchouli

Weight of the boots is a big factor for me too, @zoomzoom . My feet were beat up badly in an accident and my toes are unforgiving of poor footwear. I need very decent support.
    That's a good start, @The Lazy L . Nice price too.

Sewingcreations15 and Meerkat like this.
  7. Oct 19, 2018 #7

Meerkat

Meerkat

Meerkat

That was my first thought ,lightweight.

I'd look for cushion and warmth in as light a weight boot as possible. Hubby found some he likes at Bass Store.

8. Oct 19, 2018 #8

hiwall

hiwall

hiwall

Hiking boots/shoes are a personal thing as far as which is best or most comfortable or have the correct features. I go through at least a pair a year and I have tried many different brands and price ranges. Some I liked and some I didn't care for.

9. Oct 19, 2018 #9

SheepDog

SheepDog

SheepDog

I don't know if the current military boots are any good for cold weather but they are great for hot, dry, weather boots.
    Cabella's sells a gortex, thinsulate boot that is great. I've had two pair that fit well and kept my feet dry and warm in the snow and cold of the high mountains and breathed well enough to keep me from getting my feet soaked in warmer weather. Before I got my first pair my feet would sweat even in cold weather and once they were wet they got cold. I tried everything to keep my feet warm including wool socks and boot inserts but nothing worked like the Cabella's brand. They are all I own now and putting them on feels like you are wearing house slippers. They are light and completely water-proof up to the rim. They cost about half what the name brand boots do and last twice as long for me. I* used to spend most of my spring and summers in the wilderness areas of Washington state from 5000 to 9000 feet in all kinds of weather. The 14 mile a day hikes were easy and enjoyable. The only time my feet got cold was switching from the boots to fresh socks before crawling into my sleeping bag. The bag quickly warmed me back up.

10. Oct 19, 2018 #10

Amish Heart

Amish Heart

Amish Heart

I went to Big 5 and got their $19.99 boots for myself, my car extras, and our kids and grandkids. They work fine. No problems. I'm cheap.

11. Oct 19, 2018 #11

hiwall

hiwall

hiwall

I have small feet and often my size is the one left over when all the normal sizes are gone. So my first stop is always the clearance table. I have gotten some real deals.

12. Oct 19, 2018 #12

Bacpacker

Bacpacker

Bacpacker

I have used quite a few brands over the years. You pretty much get what you pay for IMO. I used Rocky boots for a while and still have a pair for use around the farm. They are water proof and breathable, but the support is not good for hiking all day. Wife and I have been using Vasque brand for over 20 years now and have 2 pairs each. One all leather construction, one a cordura/leather mix. Pretty light weight. The have goretex liners and breathe very well (I have major issues with my feet sweating and causing cold feet). They also have great support with a steel shank. Plus good ankle support for a low rise boot. A major plus for these, if you can find a cobbler they can have new soles sewn on. They are the best boots I have found. My other favorites are a pair of Danner "Ft. Lewis Go Devils" They were used for paratroopers for some time. They are great boots, but the are very heavy. But if you are carrying a heavy load on rough terrain they are the ticket.

ssonb and Patchouli like this.
  13. Oct 19, 2018 #13

dademoss

dademoss

dademoss

Jack of all trades. Neighbor HCL Supporter

Okay, you all are making me feel old :horsie: The "real" hiking/backpacking days are over. I wear new balance cross trainers when I walk the trails now. When I used to backpack/hike, I wore Vasque boots, vibram soles. https://www.vasque.com/ (1987 was the last time I did real backpacking)
    They are still in the closet, even thought I got rid of much of the backpacking gear years ago :)

14. Oct 19, 2018 #14

Patchouli

Patchouli

Patchouli

Dudemoss, I'm just getting started and I'm not a spring chick. We used to dabble around at easy camping and day hiking but I am getting back into it on my own. You could still get out there and hike. Nice website for vasque.
    @Bacpacker : Do you ever go such long distances hiking that you actually take a second pair of boots or shoes with you?

15. Oct 19, 2018 #15

Bacpacker

Bacpacker

Bacpacker

Dade, I resemble that remark about getting old. LOL
    Patch,I sometimes carry sandles like Teva's or something, or a pair of water type shoes. Just something lite to let me get my boots off for a little while and rest my tootsies. But that is a very fine balance between that and carrying the extra weight.

16. Oct 19, 2018 #16

dademoss

dademoss

dademoss

Nothing better than getting those friggin hiking boots off and putting on a pair of nice light shoes :) Tis indeed a fine line :)

17. Oct 19, 2018 #17

dademoss

dademoss

dademoss

It's never too late to have fun :camping:

Patchouli likes this.
  18. Oct 19, 2018 #18

Patchouli

Patchouli

Patchouli

I'm getting pretty psyched about it. There's always room for another family tradition, camping included.

19. Oct 19, 2018 #19

Hooch

Hooch

Hooch

Im with dademoss..I had to wear logger boots for my job. Breaking in good or cheap logger boots is painful. Once broke in , I could/have slept in them fine but if it wernt for my job requirement..No way..
    Hiking boots I thought were terrible, worse than my logger boots because it seems the boot design around the ankle area and tongue was always too poofy, the laces never wanted to keep tied, when my ankle was flexed, little rocks always got in or it gave my ankle sore spots , they are hot and cause my feet to sweat more and that can cause roughness or blisters..
    Now that all my hikes are for pleasure, not work..Im in my trail runner tennies. Comphy happy feet, breathable, good traction on lots of different surfaces. Half the time Im in a good trail sandel too..many many miles hiking in those in warm weather. Feet start getting rubbed from too much dirt or whatnots, wash in creek or put socks on.
    I get away with the trail tennies in winter until temps are way below freezing, I have found Sorrels boots for winter to be decent. I have a pair of whites, great boots but heavy. A long hike in snow would wear me out in those..but the Sorrels with thick wool blend sock Ive wore at work in - 20's for long periods of time and stayed fairly comphy.
    Im going to check out those boots Sheepdog mentioned..a few coworkers swear by them as well as a few hunters I know. They say the same, great winter boot.

20. Oct 19, 2018 #20

Spikedriver

Spikedriver

Spikedriver

I've been wearing North Face GTX109 shoes for quite a while now. They're probably not the best for hard hiking, as they have the form of a running shoe, but they have a very stiff aggressive sole with good support. They have been the top rated hiking shoe by one of the backpacking magazines. But that article said they weren't a good choice for packing a heavy load. They also aren't available in a high top version. But they are super comfortable, have good support, and are very grippy on uneven ground...

Bacpacker and Patchouli like this.
  21. Oct 19, 2018 #21

Spikedriver

Spikedriver

Spikedriver

Hooch those White's boots you spoke of aren't the Smokejumpers, are they? I've heard fantastic things about those but the $500 tag is kind of a deal breaker...

22. Oct 19, 2018 #22

Cascadian

Cascadian

Cascadian

I have a pair of Asolo hiking boots and love them but I didn't pay for them that probably has a lot to do with it. The are $250.

Weedygarden, Bacpacker and Patchouli like this.
  23. Oct 20, 2018 #23

Patchouli

Patchouli

Patchouli

Those are some sweet boots, @Cascadian .
    Last week when we hiked for a few hours I wasn't sure how my sneakers/cross trainers would do; but they are very light, have a wide foot base and served me very well. We were scrambling over big rocks, a little climbing, unsteady areas, lots of wooded areas, and it was all fine. My feet didn't hurt when I got home which is unusual. Now if it would just stop raining so I could get back out there.

Weedygarden and Bacpacker like this.
  24. Oct 20, 2018 #24

masterspark

masterspark

masterspark

I have a pair of custom made Limmer hiking boots that are like armor on the trail. They are heavy but the support and protection are amazing. My everyday boot is a Redwing 605. I wear them 12-16 hours a day 6+ days a week and the support is great. Neither is cheap but you get what you pay for.

25. Oct 20, 2018 #25

Sewingcreations15

Sewingcreations15

Sewingcreations15

@Patchouli I think you have to try them on to find out what fits your feet the best and walk in them a while too. I have wide large feet and tried many brands none of which suited me at all until I purchased these which both DH and I find have good cushioning on the sole and wear well. These are men's boots but you can work out the conversion between men's and women's shoe sizes as I do.

Here's a link to them and they are available in khaki and black on eBay - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Men-war...a7ea83e6:m:m1nPizljJbEctomF5pqpeLQ:rk:13:pf:0

Weedygarden and Patchouli like this.
  26. Oct 20, 2018 #26

Hooch

Hooch

Hooch

Im betting they are not since they are a winter boot. They were a sorta bonus from my time as a crew sup and they were close to $500 a pair at the time. The only negative I have with them is how heavy they are. Otherwise, they fit perfect, are warm and fairly comphy over hours of wearing if you don't mind the extra weight. I couldn't see miles and miles slogging through snow in them tho..they would wear me out if I had serious miles to cover..
    I gotta find something that will work for winter wear..

27. Oct 21, 2018 #27

Cascadian

Cascadian

Cascadian

I have heard whites break you in not the other way around.

28. Oct 21, 2018 #28

Hooch

Hooch

Hooch

I believe it...great boots but damb..

29. Aug 22, 2019 #29

Fundy

Fundy

Fundy

Somewhat known member Neighbor

My wife has hiked (backpacked) and completed the AT, the Florida Trail, the Colorado Trail, Benton McKaye Trail, Pinhoti Trail (AL and TN), Superior Lakes Trial, Foothills Trail, and most of the Vermont Long Trail. Except for the western mountain trails with scree and such, most hikers use trail runner or composite shoes (like Keen - her favorite). Very, very few backpackers in the east use leather boots any more.

30. Aug 22, 2019 #30

Meerkat

Meerkat

Meerkat

She is some kind of a trail blazer for sure.:thumbs: I use to run up and down Stone Mountain and walk and run tru the woods but never got anywhere much. I wish I had though.

Also hi and :welcome: .

Patchouli and Weedygarden like this.