Hippo Water Roller

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I saw the first photo a couple of days ago and thought this was a neat way to move water. Water is very heavy, manually moving it over distance can be difficult.

I've thought about something similar using wooden cable spools before but seeing these variations gives me ideas. Cables spools are common from 2ft to 6ft, keeping a couple stashed in the barn might be a good idea if you have the room.

Anyway, I found a webstie promoting these water rollers in poor areas of Africa where people have to carry water long distances...

https://hipporoller.org/
Water roll 01.jpeg
Water roll 02.jpeg
Water roll 03.jpeg

A few years ago during a drought I had to haul water. I had 2+acres of peas and beans in the field I intended to sell at the farmers market. I learned a great deal that month about water and how to move it. Especially how heavy it is... 1-inch of rain on 1-acre of land is about 27,000 gallons. I had two acres that needed water. That's 225 tons of water.

I thought about it in terms of no fuel and having to haul water for a family or group and a few acres of vegetables. Here on the farm I have 3 springs, plenty of water but it is very difficult to move. The change is elevation is about 240ft and distance is about 2000ft

Using just a few people its almost impossible to properly water more than an acre. Unless there is some way to work smart, not hard. Some type of cart or rolling device is the only real answer.

My real solution... Its one reason I keep a horse here w/the cattle.

Latest posts

Back