Hit and Miss engines

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
21686473_1175956005882813_4835308282442387612_n.jpg

Jim

He opened a Restraunt , about 5 years ago, in Fredonia Ky,(pop 300),
It has become a National icon, Coppertop BBQ.
He serves , Banana , Cherry, ButterPecan, Vanilla homemade ice cream thru the summer.
Thats 10 gallons.
The Amish folks built that entire set up for him.
The belts are made from salvaged water hose...works to perfection.

$2.99 for a large cup of heaven.
14 min from my house, we eat there at least once a week.

Jim

My Dad liked those engines and bought many of them, some of which required a fair amount of work to get running. That was my job, all those years ago. He really wanted me to have one of them but I just did not have the room at the time. They were a lot of fun to fool around with at the time.

I've seen a number of them over the years, they worked great for pumping water, the reason they worked so good is they had very heavy flywheels. Pow-clicka-clicka-clicka-clicka-pow, they had a ratchet system that would keep the exhaust valve open for a number of RPM's. There is a lot of these old engines here in Southern Oregon, even a museum that has steam tractors and gasoline engine tractors with huge flywheels on their sides, they run a lot of them for Fathers Day get togethers. Yeah, my dad liked those engines and wanted to get one to pump water up to a reservoir from a very active spring way down hill.

the hit and miss engines are exhaust valve governed, at droop, the exhaust valve is held open and the engine free spins using the flywheel inertia Viking mentioned, when the speed drops enough the exhaust valve is activated and the engine fires for a few revolutions to regain it's speed.(the original displacement on demand) these engines are far more efficient than the tiny single cylinder screamers we see now. And exponentially more durable if properly maintained .

There are a large number of hit and miss engines used on oil wells. I am not sure if someone is still manufacturing them or if the oil production industry is just using all the antique engines. Most of the engines on oil well run on drip gas from the oil that is being pumped.

He opened a Restraunt , about 5 years ago, in Fredonia Ky,(pop 300),
It has become a National icon, Coppertop BBQ.
He serves , Banana , Cherry, ButterPecan, Vanilla homemade ice cream thru the summer.
Thats 10 gallons.
The Amish folks built that entire set up for him.
The belts are made from salvaged water hose...works to perfection.

$2.99 for a large cup of heaven.
14 min from my house, we eat there at least once a week.

Jim

Dang Jim just rub it in will ya lol Making me hungry! I can vouch for Vanilla and the cherry Ice cream It's pretty stinking close to heaven for sure!

Latest posts

Back