Hmmm, guess I'm guilty of a couple.

Discussion in 'News of the Day' started by VenomJockey, Apr 12, 2019.

Help Support Homesteading Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Apr 12, 2019 #1

VenomJockey

VenomJockey

VenomJockey

Ancient AH Pilot, Retired CWO W4. Neighbor Contributor

Sewingcreations15 and hiwall like this.
  2. Apr 12, 2019 #2

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend Neighbor Contributor

10 Common Survival Mistakes. Are You Making One Of Them?

By James WaltonApril 12, 2019 08:32
    Do you remember what brought you here? Do you remember first thinking about preparedness and survival? Some people are born into this mindset. Others find the path later in life. No matter which type you are, you have likely developed your own ethos on the necessary parts and pieces that make up what many call self-reliance.

Its not easy for us to break away from that ethos but there are some serious survival mistakes that have stood the test of time. We are going to look at 10 of those common survival mistakes in this article. While you may not agree with everything you are going to read, I hope you at least consider it.

Putting Too Much Stock In Your Garden
    I would never try to push people away from the idea of growing a garden. The food that you can produce in a garden can make a huge difference in your overall health, it can affect your calorie consumption and offset your needs from food storage, and it can also be a renewable food source year over year.

That’s a lot of good. However, you cannot rely only on a garden exclusively.

About 4 years ago we have experienced something called Derecho. IT was the first time many of us had heard about it. It nearly spawned a tornado and scared a lot of people. When I got from sheltering in place at work it looked as though God put the trees and local plants in a blender.

Homes were spattered with foliage and my garden was about 75% gone.

Don’t rely on your garden as the only food source. There are just too many uncontrollable variables. Its essential but its not your only answer.

Relying Only On Water Storage
    [​IMG]
    Rain Harvesting Tank

Do you really have enough water or access to enough water? You must understand that you need to look at water in many ways. In fact, your water solutions should come from as many different sources as possible. Water is life. No water is death. Its really that simple.

That said, you are going to need to prioritize water solutions in all the ways you can.
    • Catchment
    • Storage
    • Sourcing (bodies of water/wells)
    • Filtering
    • Sanitizing
    These are all pieces of the water game and many preppers are happy to omit some of these but in a true water crisis you are going to need all of this and it still might not be enough!

Not Leading At Home
    The time for prepping in the dark corners of your home must come to an end. Many people don’t want to stir the pot, so they keep quiet because kids and family members don’t like them prepping. Well, that just opens a world of problems.

When you must do things by the light of the moon or in a quiet and hidden way it will hinder you. You need to have hard conversations with family members and identify some practices, a budget and an understanding that this is part of the family’s future.

Make everyone understand that you are going to use a small portion of the monthly budget for preps. You must take the lead on this and not be meek. Man or woman, there needs to be someone focused on disaster preparedness in the home.

Not Taking Courses And Trainings
    If you are looking to experience exponential growth you need to train. You must be sure that you are getting the training that you need. Now, you hear the word training and you might think of a serious price tag. This all depends on where you go for that training.

You can get first aid training for free from your local CERT.

You can get classes upon classes of preparedness and survival training if you attend local prepper and gun shows. These shows will cost you about $15 to get into and you will get all the training inside the show for free!

If you have the means you can spend a few hundred dollars on trainings with the pros and you will benefit from that, as well.

YouTube is not the same as training.

Overestimating Your Abilities
    [​IMG]One of the biggest survival mistakes is to overestimate your abilities. Its easy to get used to success in fire making when you are always practicing in your fireplace. Its easy to feel like a woodsman on the same piece of land day in and day out. Overall, its very easy to fall into the trap of getting a big head about what you can do.

The best way to crush this is to go do something hard. Find a new challenge. Put yourself on a new piece of land that you know nothing about and see how your skills fair there. You will come away with pages of improvements that need to be made.

Preparing For The Long Term Before The Short Term
    Its easy to fall into the doomsday scenario at the beginning of your prepping journey. In fact, its those high stakes that bring many people to prepping. Not many people start prepping because of a snow storm. However, you really want to be preparing for your next power outage from an ice storm in your area.

Are you buying fishmox and gas masks but don’t have a quality first aid kit or portable generator? Think and about annual regional disasters and short-term emergencies long before you start putting up gear for the end of all things.

Not Engaging Your Community
    Many preppers think that engaging your local community or neighborhood is an option. Far from it. While you might be building up an impressive mutual assistance group or something to that affect, you still need the help, and to help, your neighbors.

These are the people you live around all the time. You will likely live near them in disaster, too. So, to combat the struggle of looking at them as enemies, you must get to know them. You might even consider involving them in your readiness plans.

From Scratch Cooking
    How does food work? In the age of ultra-convenience that we live in, its easy to exist but never really learn how to cook.

[​IMG]

It’s also easy to learn how to cook a meal but never learn a thing about cooking from scratch.

• Do you know how to make a basic dough?
    • Do you know to make egg noodles?
    • What about how to cook dried beans and rice?
    • Do you know how to breakdown and trim meat?
    These cooking basics are paramount to any survivor or prepper. It is vitally important that you know how to take raw ingredients like flour, eggs and sugar and turn them into something that can feed your whole family.

Reliable Backup Communications
    Comms is one of those things that preppers consistently fall short on. It’s a strange thing. It could be because we always have the holy grail of electronic communications in our pocket. However, there could come a point when cell phones are offline and who in the world has a land line?

Whether you go the route of HAM radio or explore things like satellite phones, you should consider a backup form of comms that can address the need when it arises.

Not having reliable backup comms puts you on an island and that will be a lonely one.

Hiding Your Preps And Lifestyle
    This final common mistake might surprise you. Why are you hiding your preps and your lifestyle?

If what you do is right and it will protect you from disasters, why wouldn’t we want that for everyone. Think about it, the more people who are prepared the better off we will all be.

Its time for preppers and survivalists to come out of the shadows and stop being meek. We don’t need to hide. We need to be vocal about emergency preparedness. Sure, we are going to get raised eyebrows and strange looks but the more the message gets across the more people will start.

Imagine a nation filled with hundreds of millions of prepared Americans. It’s a beautiful vision.

Its easy to get tripped up by these common survival mistakes. Prepping is no easy thing and its also something you don’t have the luxury of spending a lot of time on. You might be nervous and maybe even scared about your next move. Doom is looming over head and you are in the perfect environment to make a bad decision.

At the end of the day we can only do what we can do. Every little bit of preparedness helps, still, there is plenty that can go wrong if we aren’t careful. At the end of the day prepping reaches hard limits, fast. Be it money, time or space. Hopefully, this article helps expand those hard limits.

3. Apr 12, 2019 #3

hiwall

hiwall

hiwall

Like any list there are items that I don't totally agree with of course.

4. Apr 12, 2019 #4

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

I agree. I am not displaying my preps for the whole world to see and that is not a mistake.

5. Apr 13, 2019 #5

VenomJockey

VenomJockey

VenomJockey

Ditto!! Sharing those could be just plain disastrous!!

Terri9630, Bacpacker and Weedygarden like this.
  6. Apr 13, 2019 #6

Sewingcreations15

Sewingcreations15

Sewingcreations15

@Weedygarden and @VenomJockey :I agree: and wouldn't be telling the whole neighbourhood about my preps. I will however share that info with like minded people like all of you here. Down at the local I shared we only go shopping once a month to a local woman there and she asked me " you are not one of those oddball preppers are you ?". Heaven help me if I said I only shop for a lot of basics 6 - 12 monthly :D .

In our village/town where most spend just about all of their money on alcohol and gambling I cannot see me showing them all my preps seriously. I am however happy to share ways to be more self reliant or things about latest technology that make it easier if people ask me or how to shop and save money on groceries.

7. Apr 13, 2019 #7

CrackbottomLouis

CrackbottomLouis

CrackbottomLouis

Interesting read. I always like reading different perspectives and taking what I like out of it and disregarding the rest. I really liked the training point. A couple things on there I could work on. I may not want to let the whole neighborhood know but I could do a better job with extended family. And back up comms. Was supposed to take ham test on the 20th but with the move I'm having to push that back.

8. Apr 13, 2019 #8

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

I see this! I had one man who wanted to do some yard work for me tell me that his daily goal was a 40 ounce bottle of beer and a joint to smoke. He had no interest in making money to support his 3 children or paying rent or a mortgage. Beer and pot were his priorities.

9. Apr 14, 2019 #9

VenomJockey

VenomJockey

VenomJockey

Yes, I, too, think "askaprepper" has this one dead wrong. Advertising your preps is doing nothing more than painting a big bullseye on you and your property. My "neighborhood" is extremely small, only three residences within miles, on a farm road out in the boonies. The neighbors to the South are SBs (Southern Brotherhood), and the ones directly across the road are ABs (Aryan Brotherhood). We all get along well, and they both are SHTF preppers to a pretty fair extent...sheds full of MREs, for example. If necessary, we could all survive on MREs for a year!! We have agreed that if the SHTF comes along, we will form a mini-mag, and since we are all armed to the teeth, anyone who might come nosing around will see a bad day.....but as far as "sharing" preps with the world-at-large, NO, that is NOT a good idea and I have no clue why "askaprepper" would even think "not sharing preps" is, somehow, a "common mistake!!" Doesn't appear to be a "mistake" to me!!

Bacpacker, Terri9630 and Weedygarden like this.
  10. Apr 14, 2019 #10

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

How about a group garden together? Working together on growing or anything is better than each one doing it alone.

11. Apr 14, 2019 #11

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

I think there are a few things can draw attention and we have to be aware of that and food would be the icing on the cake. I believe one of the most important things is that people will be desperately hungry and thirsty.

12. Apr 14, 2019 #12

VenomJockey

VenomJockey

VenomJockey

They already have basic gardens, and mine is going in as soon as I get off my lazy a$% and get the seed packets from Wally World. And all our fence lines are being taken over by blackberry bushes...NOBODY will be coming through those things when they are full grown!! Also thinking about getting some chickens and maybe a couple goats, letting them "free-range-it".....my entire property is surrounded by an 8' cyclone fence. I want to put in some corn, onions, potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, squash, melons, celery, beans, peas, etc...get a bunch of veggies going...I have plenty of room for a decent size garden and except for January-February, things will grow year-round here.

13. Apr 14, 2019 #13

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Weedygarden

Great to have an 8 foot cyclone fence, but I have seen them cut through. The blackberry bushes will be a great deterrent for people wanting to cross through.

14. Apr 14, 2019 #14

VenomJockey

VenomJockey

VenomJockey

The fence itself would slow them down but not stop them...add the blackberry bushes, though, and it become a real deterrent!! Not to mention supplying more blackberries than I'll ever use!! I also have an "option" on the property to my rear and North, which I will likely exercise later this year....add about 25 acres to my land, but I want to get it fenced in, too...and add blackberry cuttings all the way around. Lots of work on the cuttings, but once in place, they will eventually become a pretty impenetrable wall of bushes complete with nasty thorns!! Maybe a few other little "surprise packages" 10 - 15 ft in from the fence line, in case someone does get through! Nothing like a little surprise package!!

15. Apr 14, 2019 #15

Terri9630

Terri9630

Terri9630

Internet Princess Staff Member Moderator Neighbor Contributor

Goats like blackberries. You'll have to kerp them away from that delicious barrier.

16. Apr 14, 2019 #16

VenomJockey

VenomJockey

VenomJockey

Goats like blackberries? Didn't know that! Hmm. Well, the goats will be INSIDE the fence, the blackberries are on the OUTSIDE of the fence...so maybe they will not chew through the fence to get to them!

17. Apr 14, 2019 #17

Terri9630

Terri9630

Terri9630

Internet Princess Staff Member Moderator Neighbor Contributor

Goats are browsers. Bushes and trees are on the menu. They only eat grass or hay if they can't get the stuff they want.