Holiday Cactus

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a holiday Cactus for Christmas & all I do is water it once a week, & rotate the pot when the plant starts to grow toward the window.
Can not believe it has lasted 14 months.
Keep increasing the size of the pot as it grows and in a few years, you will have a large plant. I've seen plants that are two or three feet across. When they bloom it is stunning!

Christmas, Thanksgiving & Easter cactus are different families.
https://www.extension.iastate.edu/linn/news/it-thanksgiving-christmas-or-easter-cactus
Drawing to help identify cacti

I got a holiday Cactus for Christmas & all I do is water it once a week, & rotate the pot when the plant starts to grow toward the window.
Can not believe it has lasted 14 months.

My mom has one that has to be 2+ years old. Always blooms around Thanksgiving. Wife has one for 8-10 years now and it'll generally start blooming couple weeks before Christmas. Here is a picture of it.

Last edited:
The snake plant (Sansevieria), blooms when it is root bound, also.
I had no idea that they bloomed. I did see photos of blooming aloe recently. I've never seen one in bloom.
Some of my thanksgiving cactus bloom 2-3 times a year.
Mine do as well. I think that like all succulents, they do not like to be in direct sun. Mine are in my east window.

I had no idea that they bloomed. I did see photos of blooming aloe recently. I've never seen one in bloom.
Mine do as well. I think that like all succulents, they do not like to be in direct sun. Mine are in my east window.
We have multiple aloe species and all of them bloom. The hummingbirds love them.

If they get to much light they tend to turn red. They don’t like their roots staying wet either.

I have a Christmas Cactus and an Easter Cactus. I can get the Christmas cactus to bloom, but for the life of me I can not get the Easter cactus to re bloom. When I bought the Easter cactus it was full of flowers. That was 3 years ago. Still waiting for it to re bloom

Hi Double R, no I have not repotted it yet. Will that help?
Hello! 👋🏼
These cactus (all 3 kinds of them) love to be root bound. If they aren’t they tend to not like to bloom.
I would suggest giving them some fertilizer of some sort. Natural or store bought. Sometimes that helps get blooms.
Although sometimes they are just temperamental and it takes them a few years to decide to share their beauty again. Lighting and temperatures can also play a part in if they bloom or not. There’s information out there about putting them in a dark room for a specific amount of time to get them back to blooming. I’ve never personally done it but I have read online about it.
Hope you get it blooming again soon!

Reactions: Neb
I have a Christmas Cactus and an Easter Cactus. I can get the Christmas cactus to bloom, but for the life of me I can not get the Easter cactus to re bloom. When I bought the Easter cactus it was full of flowers. That was 3 years ago. Still waiting for it to re bloom
Where it is at in your home can make a difference as well. They are happy with lots of light, but not so much in harsh direct sun.

Hello! 👋🏼
These cactus (all 3 kinds of them) love to be root bound. If they aren’t they tend to not like to bloom.
I would suggest giving them some fertilizer of some sort. Natural or store bought. Sometimes that helps get blooms.
Although sometimes they are just temperamental and it takes them a few years to decide to share their beauty again. Lighting and temperatures can also play a part in if they bloom or not. There’s information out there about putting them in a dark room for a specific amount of time to get them back to blooming. I’ve never personally done it but I have read online about it.
Hope you get it blooming again soon!
I wish I had known that they like to be root bound. One I take care of had lousy soil, so I repotted it. It did bloom over the winter holidays with a lot of blossoms. We'll see how well it does this coming winter. This one had been under fluorescent lights for a long time and never bloomed much, I was told. I watered it more. Don't know why it bloomed so much for me.

Back