1. Welcome to Homesteading & Country Living.
    We are glad you came to visit.
    Dismiss Notice

Holosun HS510C review

Discussion in 'Product reviews' started by Sentry18, Aug 17, 2019.

Help Support Homesteading Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Aug 17, 2019 #1

Sentry18

Sentry18

Sentry18

Hired Gun Staff Member Moderator Neighbor HCL Supporter

2019-08-17_0755.png

So I have been running a Holosun HS510C on my primary AR-15 pistol (10.5" Aero Precision) and on my primary AR-15 Rifle (14.5" Aero Precision / Troy Ind) for over a year now and decided to write up a very short and sweet $0.02 review.

Over the years I have used everything from Aimpoint to Eotech and a host of mid-range options from Vortex, Sig, Holosun, and Primary Arms. My agency runs the Sig Romeo4T and the Sig Romeo4M, as does the FBI, and both are excellent red dots. But the HS510C seems destined to go down as my favorite 1x optic. The battery life is extremely long, it features the solar panel systems that extends the batteries even further, it is very rugged and well made, and the field of view is impressive. It comes with a QD mount that has been tight and reliable, and holds zero no matter how many times I take it off and put it back on. But perhaps one of the best things about this optic is the fact that the 65MOA + 2MOA circle dot is so crisp that does not get my astigmatism all worked up into a blur like other sights do. Everything about this 510C makes me think of Eotech but the Holosun us better in almost every way. The Holosun is smaller, lighter, less expensive, has better glass, a better emitter, better reticle, a solar panel, and just as good of mount. The Eotech has more history and is surely more durable in extreme conditions. Not that the HS510 isn't durable. I have banged mine around quite a bit with no issues and observed some pretty impressive torture tests where it came out just find. I took it out in the cold and snow last winter and tossed it around, shot some rounds, tossed it around more, etc. and never had a single problem.

Holosun has recently produced the HS512C, which is an enclosed version of the HS510C. But this comes with a higher price tag. But that also means the price of the HS510C is going to continue coming down. As much as I spend on guns, ammo, and accessories I am still a cheap skate. I paid $329 each for mine in 2018, but recently picked up two more from AIM Surplus for $229 each (on 4th of July sale). But AIM has them for $259 normal price which is less than the standard $299 I see them selling for at most places. I am hoping AIM has another sale over Labor Day, in which case I will be buying two more. Not that I need more as I currently have a Sig Romeo4T and two Sig Romeo4M's still new in the box sitting on my parts shelf. But when I like something, I like it. I want to have one sitting there for my next build and I want a back up if something goes wrong. And that alone is a pretty solid testament in favor of the HS510C.

2019-08-17_0757.png

bkt, BlueZ, Caribou and 2 others like this.
  2. Aug 17, 2019 #2

backlash

backlash

backlash

Awesome Friend Neighbor HCL Supporter

I remember you posting about the Sig Romeo.
    I looked at them and finally bought a Romeo5 to put on my wife's 10/22.
    For $120 it's a great sight and my wife shoots it well.
    She is right handed but left eye dominant so it's hard for her to aim. She shoots left handed because of that.
    Now it's just point and shoot. She can bang the gong at 100 yards pretty reliably.
    I bought another one for my Mark 2.

Sentry18, Bacpacker and Caribou like this.
  3. Aug 17, 2019 #3

Sentry18

Sentry18

Sentry18

I have a Romeo5 on my 9mm AR pistol, a Marlin 795, and my oldest boys AR-15. The Romeo5 is the best sub $125 red dot I have ever found. And I have tried a lot of them.

Caribou likes this.
  4. Aug 21, 2019 #4

Spikedriver

Spikedriver

Spikedriver

I like the concept of a red dot, and the 1x4 scope on my AR has an illuminated dot option for the reticle, but I hate batteries. Have you tried any of the unpowered sights like the Mako? Are they any good? I know the Trijicon is good but too rich for my blood...

Sentry18, Bacpacker and Caribou like this.
  5. Aug 22, 2019 #5

BlueZ

BlueZ

BlueZ

Good to hear that these units seems to be performing.
    About the Sig Romeo I always felt they were too cheap to be any good? At that prices level they must be chinese no? (Even if it says "Sig")

Sentry18 likes this.
  6. Aug 22, 2019 #6

Sentry18

Sentry18

Sentry18

I have not. Between the solar panel and the 50,000+ hour battery life I barely every have to change batteries. Besides CR2032's are super cheap and they are easy to change out.

They are designed in the US at Sig by former employees of Aimpoint and other high end optics makers. Their most expensive optics are made in Japan and their lower cost optics are made in China (allegedly using glass made in Japan). There is nothing wrong with Chinese products as long as the sourcing company sets strict production standards and has QC inspectors on site. Primary Arms & Holosun built their entire business on that model. Sig just took it to the next level. Apparently even the budget priced Romeo5 goes through another QC inspection here in the US before they ship out to distributors.