Home Alone

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine

Just your average ninja
Neighbor
We have to be out of state for a graduation for a few days. That means the chickens will be locked in their coop from Friday evening to Sunday evening. 6 10 week old hens, in. 6x 12 coop. We will do our best to predator proof it. And it stays cooler than outside. There is ventilation.

Think they will be ok ? With enough food and water of course.

Btw. We lock them in every night and I let them out in the mornings between 7am-9am usually. That's the routine they are used to at the moment.

Ok cool. We don't know anyone lol. We are so antisocial. I have work friends but no one I feel close enough to ask to check on my chickens.

We have left ours for 7 days at a time and they were fine. Clean and secure pen.
We have neighbors we trust, but don't trust their kids. So we don't tell ANYONE we are going out of town. Our animals have never been harmed left alone. Hope I'm not ginx us, lol.

I can't imagine 7 days
I'd freak with worry lol

But it's good to know it's doable. We don't really plan on having to or wanting to go out of town like this in the future. Hopefully, if we do , we can endear ourselves to a couple local do gooders by then.

I can't imagine 7 days
I'd freak with worry lol

But it's good to know it's doable. We don't really plan on having to or wanting to go out of town like this in the future. Hopefully, if we do , we can endear ourselves to a couple local do gooders by then.

Sick family leaves us no choice. When DH father was dying 400 miles away, we had to leave all our animals, 1 horse, 1 donkey, 2 cats, 4 dogs, 9 ducks and 20 chickens alone for 11 days. Nobody checked on them. I was very worried about all of them. Closer we got to home the sicker I got wondering what we were coming home to. All were fine but thank goodness it was January or food rot would have happened.
We set up dog and cat food in water filled containers with food on a brick to keep it up out of water and dry. PLENTY of water for all.

A friend had a business doing things like that, just taking care of people's pets, animals, and gardens while they're away or laid up. Some were regular weekly or daily clients.

Latest posts

Back