Home defense research fatigue.

Help Support Homesteading Forum:

Maverickhawk

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
We live in a small ranch style house in a midsized community. No comments unless you have a free acre we can put a cabin on. Anyways I want to get a compact self-defense shotgun that will make a mess of our house if someone comes in uninvited. I want wood and drywall flying everywhere, but I don't want to hit a neighbor.
Right now I'm going back to researching but it seems like I just get more confused and anything I like costs upwards of a grand. I'm sure those with more experience and knowledge can recommend something suitable in the 5 to 7 hundred range.

SheepDog

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Mossberg is overtaking the Remington in quality right now. Their pump action shotguns are good but if you and your family plan on using the same gun I would recommend a semi-auto in 20 gauge using #4 buckshot loads. Those loads will limit the damage and penetration to the interior walls of your home if you miss the bad guy. If you hit him inside of 30 feet it will be lethal in a moderate amount of time. It will be less effective with head shots so keep the high body shots or abdominal at the lowest.

The advantage of the semi-auto over the pump is that you don't need to remember to fully stroke the action to get another round in the chamber. When you pull the trigger it loads the next cartridge and all you have to do is pull the trigger again. As long as you are using factory ammo it will function well with game loads. (buck shot is usually a game load - but stay away from "self defense" loads. They are unpredictable while the game loads are made so you can depend on them)

Maverickhawk

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Mossberg is overtaking the Remington in quality right now. Their pump action shotguns are good but if you and your family plan on using the same gun I would recommend a semi-auto in 20 gauge using #4 buckshot loads. Those loads will limit the damage and penetration to the interior walls of your home if you miss the bad guy. If you hit him inside of 30 feet it will be lethal in a moderate amount of time. It will be less effective with head shots so keep the high body shots or abdominal at the lowest.

The advantage of the semi-auto over the pump is that you don't need to remember to fully stroke the action to get another round in the chamber. When you pull the trigger it loads the next cartridge and all you have to do is pull the trigger again. As long as you are using factory ammo it will function well with game loads. (buck shot is usually a game load - but stay away from "self defense" loads. They are unpredictable while the game loads are made so you can depend on them)
Funny how somethings dawn on a person after a small amount of discussion. Pump in my budget. Reliable semi-auto over my budget.
Chances are I will never need this firearm outside of practice. However I would feel better just having the option. No one can get in our house that does not belong there. Family cannot even get in without letting us know they are there. I have no regard or love for this house. If someone uninvited is in this house I fully intend to carpet bomb.

Haertig

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I would go for a Mossberg pump. Either the 500 or the 590. Simple, reliable, and inexpensive. There are even cheaper pumps out that that are probably perfectly adequate, although I don't personally have any experience with them. I think Stevens makes an inexpensive pump. I agree with SheepDog on the #4 buckshot recommendation for adequate stopping power and lower risk of overpenetration.

Supervisor42

Formerly known as Supervisor42
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Mossberg 500 12ga with a some backup ammo:
View attachment 46742
. I have no regard or love for this house. If someone uninvited is in this house I fully intend to carpet bomb.
We think alike.
There is family, and everything else is just 'stuff' that can be replaced.
I believe the full length shotguns are too long to swing around inside a living-room.
I believe the ammo should be inside the gun, not on a belt.
The 15 rounds on the belt under @Haertig gun will fit inside mine.
With 15 rounds of 12-ga 00buckshot, you can change the scenery! :oops:

Here's the target with just 6 rounds:

Oh, and it's in your price range ;).

Last edited:

Caribou

Time traveler
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
A 500 or 590 with an 18" barrel. The Mossberg 870 has sold a lot.

I prefer buckshot but a heavy birdshot should work. I prefer the 12Ga but the 20 Ga is quite adequate and might be preferable if recoil is an issue for some of the household.

Last edited by a moderator:

phideaux

Spectator of Life
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
If I was going to buy one for home defense.

I'd be looking for this one.
They are around , I have passed on a few, because I just didn't have a use for it .

Ithaca m37
800px-Ithaca_37.jpg
Jim

Bacpacker

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I've got a Remington 870 that I've had for quite a while. Great shotty, but from what I hear their quality has gone downhill. If I was buying new today most likely I'd go with a Mossberg 500 or 590. They've been around for a long time as well.
Stevens is made by Savage IIRC, Maverick also makes shotty's that are very inexpensive. I've read good reviews on both, but no experience with either brand.

Super, what is that one you've got? 15 rounds?

Caribou

Time traveler
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
The Maverick 88 is a low end Mossberg 500. The Keltec KSG is the 15 round shotgun pictured. My KSG had to go back to the factory before I ever fired a round through it. Love Keltec designs but I find their manufacturing below par.

Supervisor42

Neighbor
HCL Supporter
They are around , I have passed on a few, because I just didn't have a use for it .
Ithaca m37
View attachment 46746
Jim
Ithaca m37.
Owned one since I was 14, and still have it today. LEO's wouldn't give them up for years.
Flawless performance in the worst conditions, they liked that.
(yes, it can do 'The Rifleman' trick. Want a door to dissappear? It can do that in 3 seconds)
It was at all of your shoots, but nobody wanted to play with it :(.
Edit: And the KSG uses the exact same 2-finger bottom-eject design to this day after the patent expired on the m37.

Last edited:

Supervisor42

Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Last edited:

joel

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Remington 870 Bullpup is the one I have been looking at, not sure which one I will end up with.

Curmudgeon

Malinois' are awesome.
Neighbor
The Maverick 88 is a low end Mossberg 500
I was going to suggest that as well. I bought one brand new for 245.00 and dressed it up a tad.

88 before.jpg

88 after.jpg

viking

I know a lot of things, but master very few
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
A friend has a Partner 12 ga. pump, looks like an 870 copy, surprisingly it has a steel receiver like the 870, I think he got it for around $200, I happen to like the 870, especially the older ones, but I wouldn't be afraid to get a Partner as they seem very well made for the money.

dademoss

Grumpy old buzzard
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
A friend has a Partner 12 ga. pump, looks like an 870 copy, surprisingly it has a steel receiver like the 870, I think he got it for around $200, I happen to like the 870, especially the older ones, but I wouldn't be afraid to get a Partner as they seem very well made for the money.
I have one of those also in 20 ga. Ugly, black oxide, but it came with a short barrel and was somewhere around 200 bucks on sale Rural King.

Spikedriver

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
If I was going to buy one for home defense.

I'd be looking for this one.

Ithaca m37
View attachment 46746
Jim
This, this, this!

You don't need a tactical looking shotgun. Look for a smoothbore Ithaca M37 Deerslayer. It will be a used gun, most cost between 450 and 650 these days. They come with a good wood stock, rifle sights (with fiber optic front sight), a half decent trigger, a shorter 24" barrel, and eject out the bottom of the action so good for left or right handed users. The action is milled out of a steel block, not cheap stamped metal like a 870 or 590. 5 round capacity +1 in the chamber. And, it's a hunting gun, not a tactical gun, which may work in your favor in court, should you ever need to use it in self defense. Hell, if you want to, you can hunt deer with it! 😁

Latest posts