Home Defense Shotgun Load

Discussion in 'Shotgun Forum' started by RevV, Aug 26, 2019.

Help Support Homesteading Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Aug 27, 2019 #31

Support Gunner

Support Gunner

Support Gunner

Awesome Friend Neighbor

I've have just read a lot on the forums about shotguns falling and going off. Read alot about keeping your shotgun in the Cruiser ready state. A couple of cops I talked to on other forms keep their shotguns in cruiser ready.

I have also email Mossberg (a few years back) asking them if their shotguns are drop safe and they replied back "No they are not".

Now did they just say that to cover their ass or where they telling the truth? I dont know.

So that is where I am coming from for not keeping one in the chamber when it comes to shotguns.

Even though I own a Mossberg 500, that is not my main going to for Home defense with neighbors close by. If I was to live in the country, then it would be 7.62/308 all day long but I digress.

As far as racking and giving away your position, I believe you will give away your position by commands, turning on lights, or by simply using your firearm light in the way its intended to be used.

Unless you have night vision and dont need light to identify your target. Lol

At the end of the day though, my guns are not hitting the ground unless my switch is flipped.

dademoss, Bacpacker and Sentry18 like this.
  2. Aug 27, 2019 #32

Spikedriver

Spikedriver

Spikedriver

Awesome Friend Neighbor HCL Supporter

^^^ This. On the list of 100 most important things about the guns I own, being 100% drop safe is about #98 or 99...

OBG 57, dademoss, Bacpacker and 2 others like this.
  3. Aug 27, 2019 #33

Haertig

Haertig

Haertig

Awesome Friend Neighbor

I don't know about backlash'es trigger, but my CZ is set right at 1 lb. That's definitely "target rifle" and not "carry around in the field rifle"! I did beat my CZ every which way but silly to see if I could make it go off after setting the trigger that light. I couldn't make it go off, but I still treat it with the utmost care.

As far as shotguns, for some reason I have trouble trusting the safety on those. That's irrational, I know, but I still am skeptical even if I can't articulate a reason to be. I keep mine with hammer down on an empty chamber (OK, they might not technically have a hammer, but you know what I mean). Racking the slide is quick enough for me to get mine into action. Even if I did trust the safety, I don't like the way my Mossberg has it on top of the receiver. You can reach it with a normal buttstock, but with the handgrip buttstock I have on mine, that safety is in a very awkward place. You just can't get to it easily. I can rack the slide faster than I can get to the safety.

Bacpacker, Sentry18 and Spikedriver like this.
  4. Aug 28, 2019 #34

backlash

backlash

backlash

Yep, that's exactly what happened.
    Not real sure but probably under 1 pound. I put a heavier spring in so it went to around 2.5 pounds.

Caribou, Sentry18 and Spikedriver like this.
  5. Aug 28, 2019 #35

hiwall

hiwall

hiwall

Most safeties are just trigger blockers. They do not block the sear or firing pin.

Caribou and Sentry18 like this.
  6. Aug 28, 2019 #36

The Lazy L

The Lazy L

The Lazy L

Old Cowpoke Neighbor HCL Supporter

I understand where you are coming from. The individual must decide what they are comfortable with and safe.

As far as noise and lights. Home invasion. We will not be giving any verbal commands or turning on any lights. We have enough natural nightime lighting through the bedroom windows that our bedroom door is discernible. As soon as that door is forced open, the first (and hopefully only) notice the invader will receive of their bad career choice is my firearm firing. I have no desire to "clear the house" sweeping each room with a tactical light! The police can do that when they arrive in force.

dademoss, Caribou, Sentry18 and 5 others like this.
  7. Aug 28, 2019 #37

Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon

Malinois' are awesome. Neighbor

I have 2 Belgian Malinois that aren't real fond of anyone they don't know which is no one but family. So if an intruder has any luck getting past them then either my Sig or my AR pistol will greet them. I am fortunate to be able to use the AR as there isn't anything I would hit other than my own stuff from where my bedroom is situated.

Terri9630, Caribou, Sentry18 and 2 others like this.
  8. Aug 28, 2019 #38

Spikedriver

Spikedriver

Spikedriver

A pair of Belgian Malinois is a nice security system...

9. Aug 29, 2019 #39

Terri9630

Terri9630

Terri9630

Internet Princess Staff Member Moderator Neighbor HCL Supporter

I have a mastiff security system. Malingators have to high of a prey drive for our place.

Caribou, Sentry18 and Spikedriver like this.
  10. Aug 30, 2019 #40

RevV

RevV

RevV

Awesome Friend Neighbor

Thank you all for the replies!

Sentry18 and Caribou like this.
  11. Sep 1, 2019 #41

fteter

fteter

fteter

My choice is #4 buck in 20 gauge. Feeds a Remington 1100 "heavy" with a 21 inch barrel and a 4 round tube extension. It lives in "cruiser" mode - tube full, chamber empty. It stays in the master bedroom, which is at the end of a little fatal funnel.

12. Sep 1, 2019 #42

Sentry18

Sentry18

Sentry18

Hired Gun Staff Member Moderator Neighbor HCL Supporter

Interesting article, which includes a video of a woman shot with bird shot from 6-8' away. Doesn't even knock her down.

https://www.activeresponsetraining.net/bird-shot-for-self-defense

Caribou, Spikedriver and phideaux like this.
  13. Sep 2, 2019 #43

SheepDog

SheepDog

SheepDog

Without knowing more information it is hard to judge anything. Target loads use light shot charges, small shot and low velocities. Fired through a cylinder bore they are much less effective than heavy game loads at the upper end of the power level with shot sizes between 7.5 and 6 fired through a more or less standard modified or improved modified choke.
    The load I use is 1-1/4 ounce of #8 at 1400 fps. There is a world of difference between my load and a 7/8 ounce load of #8 or #9 at 1150 fps.

14. Sep 2, 2019 #44

hiwall

hiwall

hiwall

Even a one ounce trap load has over 400 grains of lead. That is basically twice the lead from a 45 acp at roughly the same speed.
    I am certainly not promoting a shotgun for anything other than shooting flying birds but the facts are still the facts.

15. Sep 2, 2019 #45

Caribou

Caribou

Caribou

Time traveler Neighbor HCL Supporter

Don't construe this as volunteering but I'd rather be shot by a 1 oz trap load than a .45 ACP.

Sentry18 and phideaux like this.
  16. Sep 2, 2019 #46

Sentry18

Sentry18

Sentry18

Hired Gun Staff Member Moderator Neighbor HCL Supporter

The science of velocity, weight, impact, penetration, etc. always go out the window in the real world. I have seen it first hand 100's of times. Just ask this guy who was shot in the head with a 45.

aaaaa.jpg

Bacpacker, fteter, OBG 57 and 2 others like this.
  17. Sep 8, 2019 #47

fteter

fteter

fteter

That's gonna leave a mark!

Sentry18 and Bacpacker like this.