Home from the hospital......Covid Pneumonia

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeRunner

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I spent almost two weeks sick in bed at home before going to the hospital. I was diagnosed with Covid Pneumonia and spent three weeks under heavy oxygen 24/7. I am home now with oxygen. I am a crusty SOB, 74 years old, and will beat this. My understanding of what I have been fighting is this:
Covid attacks the lungs. Not with fluids......it shuts them down. They cannot process oxygen. My lungs were White in the xrays, they should be black showing oxygen exchange. I started with fever and chills and then just wanted to sleep and not wake up. My time in the hospital was very boring, laying in bed sleeping, reading and avoiding TV.......I hate TV. The highlight of my hospital stay was when my nurse sneaked me a piece of cheesecake. I can't give any advice on how to stay safe. Before Covid, I was exercising six days a week and eating well, and being cautious. I reckon if it's gonna get ya, it's gonna get ya. I have not had any vaccine shots. I am being told I will be self immune for several weeks, and that I should get the vaccine shot in the future. Any opinions?

Glad you're home and feeling better. I had pneumonia start end of Aug, and finally went in to the ER for it in Sept. Not phlemy, just was winded. Actually, my stomach was bothering me bad and I went to urgent care a few weeks befor the ER and the doc said it was a gastro virus, never listened to my chest at all.
I was surprised I had pneumonia. I thought I had upper chest pain and they did an EKG and all was good.
Make sure you have an O2 reader at home, the put on your finger thingy. Mine got down to 92, which is low for me so that's why I went in. They gave me antibiotics by IV then I went home. We already have medical equipment here for husband...nebulizer, oxygen, so I had what I needed. A week and a half later, all better. They said it was covid, but I had covid December 2020, so that would mean I had it twice, eight months apart.
I haven't had any shots, either. Husband has had 2 and is expecting a third in March. My mom lives in an apartment at an assisted living place. They are giving out third shots this coming week. Last month, they had 4 staff out and two residents sick that had covid and had two shots.
I'm agreeing with you...if you get it, you get it. I think self immune is actually a better way to be immune than the shots.

Natural immunity lasts for several months. The medical ‘experts’ are pushing the vaccines over natural immunity which seems strange to me. I’m not anti-vax, I’ve had the J&J shot. If it were me I wouldn’t worry for 6 months since you have antibodies. Do what you feel is best!

Glad you are doing better!!

I agree with kd and Amish. I have a 91 year old friend who had covid pneumonia back in January. She was in the hospital 2 weeks, family would not let her be put on a ventilator. She came home with oxygen, and like many others I've heard about she lost a lot of hair! Today she is no longer on oxygen, hair grew back salt and pepper instead of white, back to driving and going strong! She never got a vaccine! So glad you are home, let us know how you are doing as you recover😊♥️

Talk to a doctor you trust and do what you think is best. There have been excellent literature published these past few weeks from Lancet and JAMA on the vaccines and your doctor should be aware of them and can talk to you about side effects and effectiveness of each of the vaccines. It’s all about risks and benefits and you need to weigh both in consultation with your doctor.

I spent almost two weeks sick in bed at home before going to the hospital. I was diagnosed with Covid Pneumonia and spent three weeks under heavy oxygen 24/7. I am home now with oxygen. I am a crusty SOB, 74 years old, and will beat this. My understanding of what I have been fighting is this:
Covid attacks the lungs. Not with fluids......it shuts them down. They cannot process oxygen. My lungs were White in the xrays, they should be black showing oxygen exchange. I started with fever and chills and then just wanted to sleep and not wake up. My time in the hospital was very boring, laying in bed sleeping, reading and avoiding TV.......I hate TV. The highlight of my hospital stay was when my nurse sneaked me a piece of cheesecake. I can't give any advice on how to stay safe. Before Covid, I was exercising six days a week and eating well, and being cautious. I reckon if it's gonna get ya, it's gonna get ya. I have not had any vaccine shots. I am being told I will be self immune for several weeks, and that I should get the vaccine shot in the future. Any opinions?
Glad you are getting better.
Feel free to chime in on the other thread we have going:
https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/for-those-that-had-covid.14053/
Hopefully we 'survivors' can tone down some of them that are still harping: "It's just tha-flu! You don't need no shot!".
The stuff kills way more people than they report. They only report people that die in a hospital.

Last edited:
Glad you're home and feeling better. I had pneumonia start end of Aug, and finally went in to the ER for it in Sept. Not phlemy, just was winded. Actually, my stomach was bothering me bad and I went to urgent care a few weeks befor the ER and the doc said it was a gastro virus, never listened to my chest at all.
I was surprised I had pneumonia. I thought I had upper chest pain and they did an EKG and all was good.
Make sure you have an O2 reader at home, the put on your finger thingy. Mine got down to 92, which is low for me so that's why I went in. They gave me antibiotics by IV then I went home. We already have medical equipment here for husband...nebulizer, oxygen, so I had what I needed. A week and a half later, all better. They said it was covid, but I had covid December 2020, so that would mean I had it twice, eight months apart.
I haven't had any shots, either. Husband has had 2 and is expecting a third in March. My mom lives in an apartment at an assisted living place. They are giving out third shots this coming week. Last month, they had 4 staff out and two residents sick that had covid and had two shots.
I'm agreeing with you...if you get it, you get it. I think self immune is actually a better way to be immune than the shots.
I think once you have COVID, you are immune for about 6 months. At least that is what I've heard and I take all of that with a grain of salt since we've been lied to so much. I know someone who had in March and again in November.

The vaccine is up to you. I've had it. No side effects. Do what you think is best, I won't judge you. I can only say, if I were you, I would probably get it in a few months.
Well said.
I'm 73, I got the shots.
What anyone else does is their choice.
Next month I'll get the booster shot too.

Scary stuff, RR. I know someone who has been really sick with COVID and has gone from the hospital to a center for therapy, back to the hospital. She thought she was going to die.

Well said.
I'm 73, I got the shots.
What anyone else does is their choice.
Next month I'll get the booster shot too.
There are many concerns about the vaccination. It seemed to me that you can die from COVID or you can die from whatever is in the shot. We just have to choose which one we think is safest. Either way, it is a gamble.

There are many concerns about the vaccination. It seemed to me that you can die from COVID or you can die from whatever is in the shot. We just have to choose which one we think is safest. Either way, it is a gamble.
Well, i've been living on borrowed time since 1970.
And have been thru some close calls since then, too.
Years ago i just put it all in God's hands.

glad to hear you made it thru and are home safe. you got some good antibodies, far better than the jabs. check our dr zelenkos Z Stack for getting your health back on track and added protection, hes cured over 6000 people you can also just buy the ingredients separatly on amazon. . God bless and carry you thru it all.

I know many more people who died if COVID. None who died if the vaccine.

I am not vaxxed but I was thinking the same thing the other day. However, I remember when the country was first shut down and so many people were dying of Covid in the first few months, that I didn't know a single soul who even had it. I still don't personally know anyone that's died from it. I'm thinking the vax may turn out just like that, and we will all know of someone who has died from the vaccine in a few months from now.

My professional opinion is to wear a REAL mask, stay away from other people and get vaccinated, preferably with the Moderna vaccine. Although at this point its mostly closing the gate after the horses got out. But its good practice for what comes next.

Same. They say that one in 500 Americans have died of covid.

But in my town of only 600, I know four people who have died of it. Perhaps my town is especially vulnerable. Or perhaps covid deaths on average are greatly undercounted, as the millions of excess deaths not linked to covid would seem to indicate.

Same. They say that one in 500 Americans have died of covid.

But in my town of only 600, I know four people who have died of it. Perhaps my town is especially vulnerable. Or perhaps covid deaths on average are greatly undercounted, as the millions of excess deaths not linked to covid would seem to indicate.
I think people in smaller towns don’t feel as exposed as people in large, bustling cities. Therefore they are not as prone to distance or wear masks.

I think people in smaller towns don’t feel as exposed as people in large, bustling cities. Therefore they are not as prone to distance or wear masks.
Yep. And it only takes one (1) person to give it to you.
Distance works, masks don't.

Back