Home from the hospital......Covid Pneumonia

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your experience mirrors one of my friends almost exactly. Age, heavy O2, and everything. He has refused to get the vaccine after his hospitalization, depending completely on his natural immunity from having had covid. Except he is now eight months post-hospital. Still on oxygen, still unable to take more than a few steps without having to stop and rest and huff and puff to bring his O2 sat back up out of the low 80's. He is a slave to his pulse ox. Stairs are out. As is any place without hand holds to keep him upright while "wall walking". He needs places to rest every few feet, and friends to carry his things. He can't make it from the handicapped parking space to the door of the store, let alone go inside and walk around shopping. His life is reduced to sitting in a chair now. The 15 foot trek to the bathroom just about takes him down. I have no idea how he makes it to his bed at night - that has got to be at least 30 feet. Him moving from chair to chair is about as tough as one of us climbing Mt. Everest. I can't imagine he could live through another bout with covid, or much any sickness for that matter, but the decision to refuse vaccination is his to make.

I hope your outcome is better than my friends. And that you might consider some additional protection to make sure you don't have to go through this sickness again.
I am still on oxygen. Saw my doctor yesterday, tele-meet, and his first concern is getting my oxygen level up. I smypathize with your friend and will pray for him. I am not as weak as he is. I have been riding the farm in the golf cart and try to stay mobile, lifting light weights for more body strength. I realize I'm in this for the long haul. As for the shot????

As for the shot????

You should probably have fairly good immunity against re-infection, at least close to the vaccine, for the next six months or so, so right now just worry about getting better.

Unless Covid becomes something much harsher than what it has been, it will never reach that level...

Sure. But this is still a big 'unless'.

Bubonic plague is still around. Its probably right outside my door, most squirrels in my AO have it.

But its of little threat because of current medicine, and current human behavior.

Covid could be ended the same way, but it could take a very long time for either science, or human behavior to advance to that point. And meanwhile, a year on our time scale, is thousands of years of evolution on Covid's.

It is also worth noting that Spanish Flu virus was an avian (bird) influenza that was eventually named H1N1.

While the H1N1 did sort of "disappear" in 1920, it was never completely gone.

Since that time, it has circulated among humans as a flu virus and sometimes combined with other bird (or swine) viruses to create new outbreaks.

Here is a good discussion of that subject:

https://www.history.com/news/1918-flu-pandemic-never-ended
......so most likely, even if COVID-19 mutates to something much less lethal, it may continue to circulate in human populations and/or find another animal host to ensure it's continued survival.

While it remains around, there is the possibility it will hybrid with some other virus or just experience another mutation that makes it a serious problem again.

While it remains around, there is the possibility it will hybrid with some other virus or just experience another mutation that makes it a serious problem again.
Or since it is a coronavirus like SARS and MERS it could vanish just like they did.
Do we need a mandatory vaccination for either of those in case they 'come back'?
No.
Why?
They are gone.
Soon the only ones keeping covid 'alive' will be the media and politicians.
The Japanese were still wearing masks 10 years after the last case of SARS was reported, even though their country never had a single case.

Last edited:
The Japanese were still wearing masks 10 years after the last case of SARS was reported, even though their country never had a single case.

Which served them well when corona came.

Really, I feel stupid that I spent my life getting sick 6-8 times a year...while thinking the japanese where funny for mask wearing...

Then I started wearing one and I've enjoyed the longest period of good health in my entire life. I'm never taking the mask off. It literally changed my life. If I had known how well they worked, I would have been wearing one for forty years.

They have been suppressing it the whole time so no....they will 'kill' it, long before it really vanishes, if it ever does. Corona is antithetical to everything they want, thats why they want to fight it so badly.

Really, I feel stupid that I spent my life getting sick 6-8 times a year...while thinking the japanese where funny for mask wearing...

Then I started wearing one and I've enjoyed the longest period of good health in my entire life. I'm never taking the mask off. It literally changed my life. If I had known how well they worked, I would have been wearing one for forty years.

They have been suppressing it the whole time so no....they will 'kill' it, long before it really vanishes, if it ever does. Corona is antithetical to everything they want, thats why they want to fight it so badly.
Perhaps the mask just keeps your hands away from your face......not so much the mask itself??

You were sick 6-8 times a year?! Wow. I don't wear a mask and have had 1 cold in about 8 years and I blame myself. I have allergies that nail my immune system but chose to consume a mocha anyways (I am allergic to milk - not lactose intolerant, but allergic.) I would question your immune system or some other aspect of your life as an unhealthy influence.

Bubonic plague is still around. Its probably right outside my door, most squirrels in my AO have it.

But its of little threat because of current medicine, and current human behavior.
With all due respect, I had a far easier time altering my behavior to stop kissing squirrels than I'm having wearing a mask 24x7.

You were sick 6-8 times a year?! Wow. I don't wear a mask and have had 1 cold in about 8 years and I blame myself. I have allergies that nail my immune system but chose to consume a mocha anyways (I am allergic to milk - not lactose intolerant, but allergic.) I would question your immune system or some other aspect of your life as an unhealthy influence.

Everyone else around me at home or at work got sick just as often and at the same time, afterall, I had to get sick from someone each time, so no.....its not just me, I was just part of the waves of disease that washed back and forth through groups in the old world when it was normal for people to go to work or school etc while sick.

With all due respect, I had a far easier time altering my behavior to stop kissing squirrels than I'm having wearing a mask 24x7.

24/7? Nobody is talking about doing that. I just wear one whenever I am in public.

Everyone else around me at home or at work got sick just as often and at the same time, afterall, I had to get sick from someone each time, so no.....its not just me, I was just part of the waves of disease that washed back and forth through groups in the old world when it was normal for people to go to work or school etc while sick.
That's my life too. I've only had colds twice since Covid started, once from my daughter and once from an unknown source, probably a coworker. Not.being around sick people has been pretty nice. I'm not a huge mask proponent, but I do.wear mine quite a bit around.crowded places now. Seems to be working, so why stop now?

haertig said:
24/7? Nobody is talking about doing that. I just wear one whenever I am in public.
Uhm, that was supposed to be a joke, not taken seriously. :)

I worked with children all of my adult life, and maybe would get an ear infection once a year, and possibly the dreaded pink eye every few years. My immune system was great. Never got a flu shot, either. Then I retired and covid hit a few months later. Masks and isolation. My immune system is not great anymore. Not surprised at all.

I worked with children all of my adult life, and maybe would get an ear infection once a year, and possibly the dreaded pink eye every few years. My immune system was great. Never got a flu shot, either. Then I retired and covid hit a few months later. Masks and isolation. My immune system is not great anymore. Not surprised at all.
My DW was a teacher for decades and around 300 students every day. She would bring home a 'pre-release' copy of whatever would be making the rounds each year. We would be already over it and immune by the time it spread thru the community so we could help others. :D
I probably had antibodies for enough of everything to fill a book.
But covid wasn't in there.
It is now:thumbs:.
...on page 263. :(

I have been without a cold or flu or any illness for 50 years. Other than a host of migraines for forty years starting in 1960 and my back injury starting in about 2008 I have been in perfect health. I eat good food and stayed active until the back thing.

I don't get the flu vaccine - never needed it. I got the vaccine for viral pneumonia as a precaution and I think my tetanus vaccine is OK.
I am still waiting un-vaxed for covid to disappear. I am still out with the general population and my extended family. I am getting together with my eldest son who just had covid. We have some wiring to do for his new double oven - 6 AWG from the breaker to his kitchen. I will likely pick up more immunity from him and the girls today. Next week we will be building a new base cabinet. Thanksgiving at his house!

My wife and I have each had it 2x. First in Jan 2020 when it was first becoming known and again this last Labor Day. She developed pneumonia both times and it gave me all I could handle but we made it through Vaccine is up to you, we have chosen not to because of adverse effects on some neighbors. Good luck.
I pray you both regain your strength and stay well.

Back