Home Network Questions

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
First up… I was NT 3.51 certified 20 years ago so I understand the basics. In 2000 I stepped off the technology train and it left me in the dust. I used winXP until last spring when I bought a new Dell desktop. I have a satellite internet connection.

2 years ago, I retired the flip phone and bought the cheapest smart phone wm had. It was windows based and I hated that thing. There is no cell reception where I live so I have the pay as you go plan. I carry a cell phone for emergencies when I leave home. I liked the camera the phone had and connected to my dell with a usb cable to transfer plant photos.

I lost my cell around the holidays and got a better phone, an android based Samsung J3. I still transferred photos with a usb cable.

Some of you may have caught my posts about the problems I’ve been having with win10. One of its most annoying traits is that on boot up my system settings will sometimes change for no apparent reason.

I have satellite tv, a different company than the satellite internet. Last week satellite tv people upgraded my system, new boxes, new remotes etc. They also installed a wi-fi router. The tech set my phone up to this new network so I could get Samsung updates.

He didn’t set my dell up to see this router and left it’s ethernet cable unplugged (there is only one ethernet connection on the sat box). I couldn’t the dell to see the wi-fi router. So, I plugged the ethernet cable into the back of the router and had internet access again.

This morning the electricity went off for 4 seconds. I was across the room and didn’t get to the power switches on my APC surge protectors in time. (one feds my entertainment center, another feeds my desktop center)

When my pc rebooted all my network settings changed again. The dell could now see the wi-fi network but could no longer see the router through the ethernet cable. :dunno:

I created a shortcut on my desktop last year to my network settings view. I did this so I quickly enable or disable the ethernet connection. I don’t want my pc connected to the internet all the time, just when I when I want to go online. This shortcut stopped working this morning.

I called Dell but got no help, the guy didn’t understand my problem. I finally got the ethernet connection working again this afternoon. Now I can connect to the internet with my Dell by enabling the ethernet port or by enabling the wi-fi connection.

I can also go online with my android phone through the wi-fi.

Now, my phone can see the wi-fi router and the LG sound bar that is wi-fi capable. My Dell can see the wi-fi router and can see the LG soundbar. The soundbar is connected to my tv via fiber optic cable.

My phone can’t see my Dell and my Dell can’t see my phone. Shouldn’t they be able to see each other?

I avoided having a home network for years. Now that I have one I want to fully utilize it. Any pointers would be appreciated…

Latest posts

Back