Home packed MREs for the GHB/BOB.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magus

The Shaman of suburbia.
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Have you priced a case of MREs lately? like 75$ + a case IF you're lucky! 0_o
IF you can even find them lately! I was at the DG store the other day looking at all the canned crap we used to buy to go camping, the Vienna sausages, Beanie weenies (Beans "N" Franks Yankees!) Sardines, Snack crackers, cookies etc, Not to mention the flavored waters in actually durable, even reusable bottles, and my brain kicked in:
Let's build Homemade MREs! So let's grab a gallon sized Ziploc bag and build some! I figure 1 bag per every ten miles or so+water, but in my genius of insanity, I fixed that too!
2 cans of Vienna sausage 1.25.
2 cans of beans n franks 1.60
2 packs of snack crackers 1.00
2 cans of Sardines 1.75
2 packs of cookies 1.00
1 big pack of BBQ nuts 1.00
2 dole pull top fruit cocktail cups 1.80
And believe it or not, room for a 20 oz bottle of Gatorade, napkins and plastic spoons+ pirated packs of Taco bell hot sauce, ketchup and mustard. wrap all that up with two bottles of flavored water or Gatorade and bingo, almost a two day food supply weighing in at about 4 pounds for like nine bucks. Now why choose Gatorade and flavored waters? two reasons, One being you'll need the electrolytes and sodium, they freeze at a lower temperature than water or soda AND those tough bottles are very durable and reusable! Stuff a shoulder bag and it's 14.00 worth of insurance you can afford to carry in your floor board and I still have room for maybe some extra cookies or a couple of candy bars!

MRE's are pretty bleech, and not my first choice ever. I did buy a few once upon a time and did some taste testing. I've made my own, similar to what you have up there, Magus. After using the freeze dryer, though, I'm going to replace some stuff with my own freeze dried food. The burger patties and the chicken and fried rice turned out good, and you just have to add a little water to them.

I like army food myself, guess I just have a taste for it, either that or I'm addicted to the binary amphetamines and vitamin B overload in it. 🤪

Use whatever goes best babe, everything there is just suggestions and ideas. I'll get on my minimalist GHB in a bit, that way everyone can yell at me! LOL

Have you priced a case of MREs lately? like 75$ + a case IF you're lucky! 0_o
IF you can even find them lately! I was at the DG store the other day looking at all the canned crap we used to buy to go camping, the Vienna sausages, Beanie weenies (Beans "N" Franks Yankees!) Sardines, Snack crackers, cookies etc, Not to mention the flavored waters in actually durable, even reusable bottles, and my brain kicked in:
Let's build Homemade MREs! So let's grab a gallon sized Ziploc bag and build some! I figure 1 bag per every ten miles or so+water, but in my genius of insanity, I fixed that too!
2 cans of Vienna sausage 1.25.
2 cans of beans n franks 1.60
2 packs of snack crackers 1.00
2 cans of Sardines 1.75
2 packs of cookies 1.00
1 big pack of BBQ nuts 1.00
2 dole pull top fruit cocktail cups 1.80
And believe it or not, room for a 20 oz bottle of Gatorade, napkins and plastic spoons+ pirated packs of Taco bell hot sauce, ketchup and mustard. wrap all that up with two bottles of flavored water or Gatorade and bingo, almost a two day food supply weighing in at about 4 pounds for like nine bucks. Now why choose Gatorade and flavored waters? two reasons, One being you'll need the electrolytes and sodium, they freeze at a lower temperature than water or soda AND those tough bottles are very durable and reusable! Stuff a shoulder bag and it's 14.00 worth of insurance you can afford to carry in your floor board and I still have room for maybe some extra cookies or a couple of candy bars!

I agree. Many of the "Survival" food companies greatly exaggerate what they are providing. When you look at the contents, you can make your own at a fraction of the cost. Seriously, chicken flavored rice for $6.00-$8.00 s meal? You can buy a 16 oz. bag of rice and a jar of bouillon cubes for a couple of bucks.

I put together an entire Grab and Go bag of homemade meals. Keep it right with the BOB's if we ever have to leave in a hurry.

I like to add some of those shelf stable microwavable meals from Hormel and Dinty Moore.

They have a decent shelf life, can be eaten cold or boil some water, take it off the flame, and put the container in the hot water for a few minutes.

I kept a few in my office survival bag when I worked in the office.

Since I commute over an hour I need to really look closer into what I have in my car and office. Thanks for the reminders.

I keep a plastic crate in my trunk; maybe 12 x 12 x 12, Like an old milk crate that held 4-gallon bottles. I call it the food box. A couple gallons of water and a soft sided zippered bag with food that is ready to eat, and I do differentiate. Not food that is ready to cook. If I am stuck in my car I don't want to be messing with fire. Adding water is O.K. assuming you have enough. Good reminder to check it for expiration dates.

2 cans of Vienna sausage
That's a lot. Enough to feed a huge crowd all they want, and still have 2 cans left at the end.

For emergency food I leave in the truck in case I get stranded, I go for a pack of saltine crackers and a jar of peanut butter. Good enough to give you some energy in an emergency, but not so good as to tempt you to munch down on them in a non-emergency. So they'll be there when you need them. And they don't care about temperature extremes when stored in the truck. Plus, every time you think about having to eat those crackers and peanut butter, you will remember to always take an extra large bottle of water with you in the vehicle. Win-win!

Back