Home security camera system help

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alaskajohn

Bugged out
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I think I want a basic home security camera system. I’m thinking I need 3 cameras mounted outdoors and a system that connect to WiFi so I can keep an eye on things when away. It doesnt need to connect to fire or police since there are no such service where I live. Just a basic system that I can monitor. I would think I would need some storage capacity to save images, but I am not sure how much. We aren’t typically away for more than 48 hours at most except for our rare “vacations.” So maybe a two week storage capacity?

Any chance one can be had for about $300? Not set on a budget, but something expensive or something with an ongoing monitoring agreement will probably kill this project.

Any help would be appreciated!

I just came from my neighbor's house, where I set him up a Lorex 4k camera system. It has sound, panic lights, sirens, and best of all, he set it to record 24 hours a day, with a 2 terabyte card. This cost $800 from Costco, but they have a 4 camera system available for $300, with the same bells and whistles. If you link to the internet, your phone can be used to view anywhere in the world.

+1 for the Lorex system.. 👍 Just remember to set an 'Absolutely unguessable' PW for All yer Home Networks / Routers / Wifi, etc.. Them 'L33t Bears' be pretty smart, these days.. ;)

PS - Here's a little 'No Trespassing Sign' I made up for a friend 'Up North'.. More apt fer yer kind of 'turf'..

GoMPN.jpg
🤓

jd

Last edited:
I just came from my neighbor's house, where I set him up a Lorex 4k camera system. It has sound, panic lights, sirens, and best of all, he set it to record 24 hours a day, with a 2 terabyte card. This cost $800 from Costco, but they have a 4 camera system available for $300, with the same bells and whistles. If you link to the internet, your phone can be used to view anywhere in the world.

It looks like the 4 camera system has 1 terabytes. How many days memory would that equate to?

We have [Expandable 8CH,2K] Hiseeu Wireless Security Camera System with 1TB Hard Drive with One-Way Audio,8 Channel NVR 4Pcs 1296P 3.0MP Night Vision WiFi Security Surveillance Cameras DC Power Home Outdoor
We’ve had these since January. We have added more cameras when safety became a concern. We have some up in some of the livestock areas, the owl cameras as well as home security. They are clear and have a very good range and night Vision compared to previous other brand units we’ve had in the past. The app gets bad reviews but we’ve not had any real issues with it on any of our devices. It’s pretty easy to access remotely although we don’t do it much. I like that there is no cloud. They do sell a monitor unit as well but we wanted to put it on an unused TV. Was very glad to have it when the issues ramped up with the neighbor. Able to record sound and video as well as go back easily and see what was missed.

Last edited:
I have 3 “ring” cameras all connect to Wi-Fi and you can veiw them on your phone. 300$ at Home Depot. They have several other options to choose from but I have zero complaints. On camera is hard wired in for power and the other two are battery powered and I charge them maybe every other month.

It looks like the 4 camera system has 1 terabytes. How many days memory would that equate to?
He replaced his old 8 camera Lorex which was 2k, with the 1 terabyte chip. He had a 15 day loop running all cameras, 24 hours a day. With a 4 camera system, im guessing nearly a month?
The 4k system doesn't use RCA jacks, it uses an Ethernet cable.
Went back today and discovered this system also has sound, but you need an external microphone to talk back thru the cameras.

I have had good luck with inexpensive WiFi cameras - I like this one in particular, because it has a built in security light: www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WK8FH3X - It's $70 on amazon, and plan on another $15 per camera for a decent sized SD card. They run off of USB power, so you'll need AC (or a USB extension cord) near each one. You can simply use the SD card as your "history" or they will hook up to any camera software - I use the one built into my Synology NAS (mini server that runs my private "cloud"), or you can use software like Blue Iris on an old PC.

Lots of good posts! Still sorting through all of this.

Another neighbor (retired cop) came over and we began talking about surveillance systems. For Christmas presents last year, he bought all three of his kids the 4 camera Lorex systems, and installed them. He also set up instant alerts for the motion detectors thru his cell phone, so he can watch the exterior movement at all three of his children's homes. Since the entire family are in law enforcement, it is like having a security guard watching their premises 24 hours a day.

Another neighbor (retired cop) came over and we began talking about surveillance systems. For Christmas presents last year, he bought all three of his kids the 4 camera Lorex systems, and installed them. He also set up instant alerts for the motion detectors thru his cell phone, so he can watch the exterior movement at all three of his children's homes. Since the entire family are in law enforcement, it is like having a security guard watching their premises 24 hours a day.

How does power get to the camera? Is it in the same cables that carry the signal to the base station, or does it need power getting to it from another source?

Yes, the power comes from the Ethernet (probably CAT 6 cable). Something worth mentioning is the company supplies 55' cables. One run at my neighbor's house was about 85'. He was able to purchase a 100 foot cable for an additional $19. I know the company (MONOPRICE) sells cables up to 500 foot, but not sure if any degrading of quality would occur if you wanted to protect out buildings.

Yes, the power comes from the Ethernet (probably CAT 6 cable). Something worth mentioning is the company supplies 55' cables. One run at my neighbor's house was about 85'. He was able to purchase a 100 foot cable for an additional $19. I know the company (MONOPRICE) sells cables up to 500 foot, but not sure if any degrading of quality would occur if you wanted to protect out buildings.

Thanks. I will need to get out my tape measure. My guess is that I will need a little bit more than 55 feet.

Here are a few pics of this new Lorex system taken from his 4k monitor in his office. The night vision is fantastic compared to his older Lorex 2k system. Both pics were taken at nighttime, which you can see from the streetlights activated.
Resized_20211112_171448.jpeg
Resized_20211113_173526(1).jpeg

Last edited:
I hope to catch a picture of Bigfoot when I get mine installed! I am reading good comments about those cameras! It will probably be another week before I order anything, and the 4 camera Lorex 4k camera system appears to be the one to beat! Looks exactly like what I want. Those night pictures are in a place with plenty of light, my place will be pitch black with only the stars and moon.

The only concern is the camera is rated to -40. While the air temps have not been below -35 in the 7 years I’ve had the place (and that cold is rare) we have wind chills down to -60 each winter for short durations. I doubt I can find any systems reasonably priced where it is rated for much colder temps.

Another question, what is the best way to patch the hole that I will need to drill to put the cables through? That spray on insulation?

That spray on insulation?
Yes, that is what I'd use, but don't get the super expanding foam. They have a non expanding foam that won't ooze out of the hole for the next 5 minutes. Also, I believe I used a 5/8ths drill bit running the cables through the house.

How does power get to the camera? ..

Yep, and though Sir Havasu already astutely answered your question (it's called 'PoE' - Power over Ethernet..) I echo his post for a Reason.. (below..)

...The only concern is the camera is rated to -40. While ...that cold is rare) we have wind chills down to -60 ..

Couple ideas for ya: 1) IF you can have 'view-mastery' of all angles you wish to cover, from Inside yer place (ie: thru a Window / Door window, in front) then you don't have worries of those Temp 'extremes', and if you mount the Cam very-close to the glass / touching it, if possible, then you shouldn't have issues from any 'back-reflection', etc..

..We do this with Our front door Cam, thru a small, but thick 'decorative leaded glass' window-panel, up top, and even with a Thick-glass like that, there's no significant 'image degradation' or back-reflection to cause worrisome 'loss' in image quality / detail.. (Though, we're not doing that for 'Temp concerns', more for protection against 'baseball bat and/or paint-ball degradation'.. :)

If you Don't have an 'all-seeing-Window' op, there (where you Must 'put it Outside' to cover the angles you want) there's a couple good options for making a 'heated Doghouse' for the Cam.. a) There Are 'weatherproof housings' available for you to stick your Own Cam inside, and 'Heat' can be supplied two ways...

..One, some models are available With an integrated heater (but those are going to cost more, obviously..) Or, you can simply 'DIY' with a product called 'Chromalox blanket', ie: https://www.chromalox.com/en/catalo...se-heater?Watts=25&Volts=120&Width=1&Length=5 ..(URL 'reads odd', cuz I narrowed down the search params a bit for ya.. 👍 Here's more Info:

https://www.chromalox.com/-/media/files/catalog/resources/en-us/mod-sl-n.pdf ..Yes, you'd have to run a separate, low-power AC line to it, but.. Frankly, that's really easy with an extension cord / outdoor, waterproof J-box / some 'RTV'.. And, you simply 'gate' the Temp with a small AC thermostat.. OR -

2) If you Didn't want to deal with getting / rigging up en Enclosure, etc, these 'blankets' Can be mounted Directly To something, to help keep it warmed, ie: You simply 'RTV-silicone it' right to the housing of the Cam, with that AC-line / some waterproof-connections (simple..) and then, only turn that On, from the House (ie: Power strip / Thermostat, etc) If / when it was going to be an 'Extreme cold-snap', etc..

..In fact, they Do make DC-powered ones, that I - believe - you should be able to even use 'PoE' for, since they only need about 12V DC, to work.. However, the DC blankets are pretty 'low wattage' though (so, not sure if 'Enough warming capacity' for -40-60˚ temps mitigation, etc) but I believe it Could be done with 'PoE'.. If not 'externally' to the housing, likely 'internally' (ie: a tiny one of the DC-blankets Inside the Cam enclosure, if 'space' could be found...)

Anyway, I've used these with Great Success for similar projects (in a Housing, that was exposed to Outdoor temps, in Buffalo, NY, so.. Pretty dern Cold, sometimes.. :) PM if ya wish for any more details on the stuff.. :cool:

jd

Last edited:
Okay, this is the system I am thinking I’ll order.

A bit more expensive than I wanted, but that’s how these things always go.

Four 4K IP67 weatherproof HD cameras
Color Night vision with IR.
Motion Detection
Motion activated warning lights
Remotely activated audible warning
2 TB storage
Remote monitoring

Costco is selling the 6 camera Lorex 4k system for sale at $399 currently. If you only need 4 cameras, you will have two $159 extra cameras.

Thanks, I don’t know when the next time it will be when I can make it to Costco. I noticed that a lot of the Lorex systems require Alexa and the one I posted doesn‘t.

Latest posts

Back