Home Security Cameras backed up with recorded video.....

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would personally not recommend a 720p camera system. With 720p you rarely get a clean enough image to identify the suspect let along prosecute them in court. The 1080 kit is a better if the cameras are good, but I am pretty sure you still have to buy a hard drive at that price.

I think the best budget cameras you can buy right now are Wyze Cams. $20 each before shipping, you get free 12 seconds of cloud storage and push notification, and you can put a micro-SD card in them for continual record

I would personally not recommend a 720p camera system. With 720p you rarely get a clean enough image to identify the suspect let along prosecute them in court. The 1080 kit is a better if the cameras are good, but I am pretty sure you still have to buy a hard drive at that price.
I think the best budget cameras you can buy right now are Wyze Cams. $20 each before shipping, you get free 12 seconds of cloud storage and push notification, and you can put a micro-SD card in them for continual record

I have 3 Wyze cams, 2 door sensors, and 1 motion sensor that triggers my front porch camera. The total cost with the memory cards was around $100.
Setup was very easy. The images are very good even at night. I bought mine at Home Depot.
I am going to add a couple more door sensors. One on the freezer door and one in my mailbox.

...Wyze Cams. $20 each before shipping, you get free 12 seconds of cloud storage...
I might clarify that further. When the Wyze cam detects motion, it records a 12 second burst of video, which is stored in the cloud. Then it "goes to sleep" for five minutes, before motion will again trigger a 12 second burst of video. These 12 second bursts are stored for two weeks, at which time the oldest recording is overwritten by a new one.

When the Wyze cam has "gone to sleep", you can still view live images, it's just that video is not saved to the cloud. If you have a microSD card inserted into the Wyze cam, it can record video continuously to that if you want (no 12 second limit once per five minutes). You can also have it record time lapse to the microSD card (e.g., take a still image snapshop every XXX time period). I have not played with this time lapse mode, so I do not know if there are any limits on what you can set XXX to, or if you can even set it yourself (it may just use a default non-user-settable time period for all I know). Also, you can have sensors trigger your Wyze cam to record - say a door is opened. This triggering will record a 12 second video just like before, however, it is not subject to the five minute sleep mode, and it will record 12 second clips of video as often as it is triggered.

For what these Wyze cams cost, and their easy availability at Home Depot, they are the best video camera bargain on the market. Nothing else even is in the same ballpark when it comes to low cost.

I have a couple of Wyze cameras. I also have some door sensors and a motion sensor. All of these have been extremely reliable for me. And the Wyze app you install on your smartphone to view and control these things is actually quite good. I have no complaints for a free app. Most things are fairly logically laid out, and it doesn't take long at all to learn how to use the app like a pro.

p.s. - My wife just bought one of those Ring video doorbells at Costco. I will try to get that installed this weekend. Hopefully I will remember to write up a review comparing/contrasting the Ring to the Wyze. The Ring is a heckuva lot more expensive, plus you have to pay a yearly fee to store video (first year is free - included with purchase).

The price is reasonable ($100), and the videos make the District Attorney very happy when it comes time to prosecute any burglars/trespassers caught. "Smile, you're on Candid Camera!!"

https://www.amazon.com/ZOSI-Channel...t=&hvlocphy=9012986&hvtargid=pla-901573612687

That is really cheap for an 8 camera setup. Really cheap! Ludicrously cheap as a matter of fact. I would certainly research this system before buying - just like I would if I found a new car advertised for $799. Sounds too good to be true.

Anyway, it says it includes eight cameras, eight 60ft cables and DVR. Oddly enough, the DVR says it does not include a harddrive (I assume you are supposed to buy your own). But "DVR" stands for "Digital Video Recorder" ... without a haddrive, it's not going to be recording anything. So maybe a bit of false advertising there.

This is a wired system. Do not expect it to be easy to install. You will need to run wires through walls, attics, basements, crawlspaces, etc. Or, I guess you could be lazy and just duct tape them down to the carpet throughout your house.

I have wireless door bells like these. They recharge on their own.

a-wen1.pngdec.png

I'll go along with that....720 pixels is not very good.....probably can find some "refurbished" systems with 1680 for about the same price. Got two wireless sensors (they're called "eyes") in a "go-get-them package" that works pretty good.....now, if I could just find a couple hundred pounds of reasonably priced fuel monthly for the darn thing....

6f8dc161c9cedf99cecba4843d60e8d2.jpg

I'll go along with that....720 pixels is not very good.....probably can find some "refurbished" systems with 1680 for about the same price. Got two wireless sensors (they're called "eyes") in a "go-get-them package" that works pretty good.....now, if I could just find a couple hundred pounds of reasonably priced fuel monthly for the darn thing....

Cry Havoc and let slip the dog of war ! :)

Back