Home Security

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good info also neighborhood watch programs are too. We had police come to our rural community and was surprised at how many neighbors showed up.
He gave lots of tips about safety. That was several years ago so its about time to have another one for the couple new ones who moved in.
We use to have community meetings till the Home Owners Asst. ruined it for us all. Too many chiefs and not enough indians for sure. And I was one of them. I got put back in my place when one said ,how does it feel being Queen of _____? Not good to see the person you don't like in the mirror.:confused:o_O:eek:

That video says it is from 2014, but I would have guessed 1990 from watching it. To say it is "basic" is giving it too much credit. Nonetheless if it makes someone think about home security at all then its a good thing.

Good info also neighborhood watch programs are too.

Yeah.............neighborhood watch programs, sigh.

We had one here many years ago. The only thing the Deputy would tell us is to go out and refit our homes with more secure windows and doors etc.

One little old lady (about 80 I would guess) sitting in the back with cane in hand very quietly listening and observing. You could tell she was getting a little irritated and had had enough. She raised her cane and started banging it on the back of the metal folding chair in front of her and asked about home protection. Of course true to form the Deputy immediately discounted that idea and suggest that she call 911 and hunker down. She laughed and said, "young man I have a .38 caliber pistol and I know how to use it, I'll be darned if I will sit silently and allow someone to break into my home."

That pretty much ended the meeting.

Yeah.............neighborhood watch programs, sigh.

We had one here many years ago. The only thing the Deputy would tell us is to go out and refit our homes with more secure windows and doors etc.

One little old lady (about 80 I would guess) sitting in the back with cane in hand very quietly listening and observing. You could tell she was getting a little irritated and had had enough. She raised her cane and started banging it on the back of the metal folding chair in front of her and asked about home protection. Of course true to form the Deputy immediately discounted that idea and suggest that she call 911 and hunker down. She laughed and said, "young man I have a .38 caliber pistol and I know how to use it, I'll be darned if I will sit silently and allow someone to break into my home."

That pretty much ended the meeting.

Lol that's a great lady.

Lol that's a great lady.

Yup, I think the part that irritated her the most is the fact the Deputy was suggesting hiding, or running out another door etc if someone entered.

I guess he forgot about our Castle Doctrine and "no duty to retreat". LOL

I stopped and talked to a State Trouper and Sheriffs deputy and asked about response times. They told me that due to the remote location of our new place to handle the situation (if possible) then call 911 because it would be over long before they could get there.

I stopped and talked to a State Trooper and Sheriffs deputy and asked about response times. They told me that due to the remote location of our new place to handle the situation (if possible) then call 911 because it would be over long before they could get there.

That's what I tell my family and we are only about 15 blocks from the city PD, 12 blocks from the Sheriff's office, and 10 blocks from the FD.

That's what I tell my family and we are only about 15 blocks from the city PD, 12 blocks from the Sheriff's office, and 10 blocks from the FD.

We are almost 60 milesfrom the sheriffs dept, there is no city pd and the Troopers (I think, have never seen their offices) come from the next county 90 miles away.

No city PD the sheriffs dpt is about 60 miles away and the State Police don't have an office in this county. They come from 90 miles out. I'm only 4 miles from the local volunteer FD/helo pad though.

Likely you all know this already but incase some don't, go get yourself some 3 1/2 to 4" long deck screws, not drywall screws. then go around to all your exterior doors and replace the screws that hold in your doors strike plate along with at least one or mor of the screws on your hinges that go into the wall and depending on the type of door you have the screws that fasten the hinge to the door also. Simple, quick, low cost and effective. If you look around on Youtube there is a video of a PD and FD showing busting in a door with the standard installation screws and then doing it after the screws are replaced with the longer ones and they can't just bust it in like with the factory provided ones.

Likely you all know this already but in case some don't, go get yourself some 3 1/2 to 4" long deck screws, not drywall screws. then go around to all your exterior doors and replace the screws that hold in your doors strike plate along with at least one or more of the screws on your hinges that go into the wall and depending on the type of door you have the screws that fasten the hinge to the door also. Simple, quick, low cost and effective. If you look around on Youtube there is a video of a PD and FD showing busting in a door with the standard installation screws and then doing it after the screws are replaced with the longer ones and they can't just bust it in like with the factory provided ones.
Did that but at my house, it won't make much of a difference. The house was built in 1950 and it's not going to take much to force entry.
I have no illusions of keeping the bad guys out if they are determined they will get in. I hope to keep the more honest people out.
Where I used to live they had 3 county police officers to cover the entire south end of the county, several hundred square miles. If you called 911 it could take hours to get an officer. At one time the state patrol had cut back and there was only 1 officer on duty. His backup was the local game warden, if the game warden would agree to help. Him and they game warden were not very happy with that situation.

Last edited:
I stopped and talked to a State Trouper and Sheriffs deputy and asked about response times. They told me that due to the remote location of our new place to handle the situation (if possible) then call 911 because it would be over long before they could get there.
I am not worried about the police taking too long to get to my place. For one, it will always be "too long" if you are depending on them to be your primary line of defense. I am just as worried about them getting there too soon. i.e., when a situation is still actively unfolding. In those cases, the police come in not knowing what is going on, who is the good guy, who is the bad guy, etc. I feel sorry for them having to respond into a situation like that. However, due to the confusing nature of such an encounter, there is a greater than zero chance that the police will misidentify the bad guy. They might see me there, with a gun, and reflexively shoot me. Even though I am the homeowner and I'm just trying to defend my family.

I can't think of anything more dangerous than having both the armed bad guy(s) and the armed police in my house at the same time, along with me, the armed homeowner. And if my family members were at home too, they would also be armed. It's a difficult question. At what point do you get the police involved? Sooner may not be better than later, depending on the circumstances. I don't want to be shot by the police any more than I want to be shot by the bad guy. As a matter of fact, I would assume the police are better trained and would put more rounds on target than the average bad guy. That's not good for me if I am the misidentified target. On the other hand, I am not prepared/trained to try and clear my house of intruders.

It's rare, but there are plenty of examples of the innocent person being the one the police kill. I'm not blaming the police for this. But I still don't want to be that one, rare, dead innocent.

My plan is that if my home is ever invaded, I will be able to execute my plan and retreat to one of my "barricade rooms". These are rooms where I have pre-identified cover and concealment, identified safe shooting lanes, stocked them with firearms and extra ammunition, and phones. If I can retreat there, I theoretically should be able to hold the bad guys at bay, since I control the single doorway entrance to the room with significant firepower. And, per plan, I could tell the police dispatcher, before the officers arrive, that I do have that room entry covered and they should stay far away until we have positively identified each other.

That's the plan anyway. But things never go as planned. So the whole situation is worrisome for me. The only thing that makes me feel a little better about the situation is knowing that most people don't have any kind of plan at all. So at least I'm ahead of them.

I figure a home invasion goes one of three ways. One or more bad guys will be dead or lying on the floor face down with arms and legs spread eagle; They will be wounded and running; We will all be shot and the sheriff will get there just in time to draw chalk marks on the floor or maybe get the ambulance there in time to save someone.

My solution is real simple....Say hello to Duchess!

Tibetan-Mastiff-photo.png

Is that a dog or a buffalo? ;)

They are a beautiful breed! I just wish they had longer lives. In 10 to 12 years you are just not prepared for your partners life to end.:(

Is that a dog or a buffalo? ;)
They are a beautiful breed! I just wish they had longer lives. In 10 to 12 years you are just not prepared for your partners life to end.:(

I have two, a male and a female. Duchess is currently in residence with my son here in Alabama, and Kong is at the Retreat (BOL) playing with the coyotes and wolves. Duchess is a bit larger than average, she goes about 120-125. Has around $3,000 worth of guard & k-9 training behind her. The only way to stop her if she comes after you is cripple or kill her. They are not cheap...the pups cost me $5,000...but they are worth their weight in gold. Duchess has already accounted for half a dozen wannabe crooks, and all required many stitches. Seems they never learn to just LAY STILL when the dog has a hold on them...struggle and the dog keeps biting, lay still, and she'll just hold you in position. For a large dog, Tibetan Mastiffs are incredibly fast, and strong. Two adult males can take down a full grown male lion and kill it...these are NOT "ankle biters!!"

Want one? https://www.puppyfind.com/for_sale/?breed_id=126

I like dogs with lots of hair. They stay warm in the winter and die less often when confronting dangerous game. It is hard to land a good blow when the outer most 6 inches is fur! ;)

I suspect that it's a far more common problem in getting police to show up than is talked about, it's been an issue around here ever since we move here in the early 80's, call for a sheriff and it will take hours, if they show up at all, their headquarters is 60 miles north for this county and then add in that one deputy covers thousands of square miles and the sheriff's department is probably always short handed.

Latest posts

Back