Homemade Extracts for Cooking

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I know that I posted about making extracts in my thread about spices. There will be some duplication to that.

I was talking to a man who is a bar tender about using simple syrups. There are drinks that are made with simple syrups. Then we talked about how the flavoring for some simple syrups comes from extracts, such as vanilla extract. Typically, things like vanilla extract are made with vodka, but they can also be made with Everclear. And interesting tidbit: As a bar tender who has lived in a few places, he told me that 120 proof Everclear is not sold in some states. In some states, the alcohol limit is 80 proof.

Who has made their own vanilla extract? I have. But there are other extracts that can be made the same way, besides vanilla extract.

I read that extracts are best kept in amber bottles, or in cool, dark places, like a cupboard.

Vanilla Extract​

Instructions​

• Prepare the raw ingredient(s) for extraction. For vanilla extract, use a sharp knife to split the vanilla pod open lengthwise to expose the tiny seeds inside.
  • Place the raw ingredient inside an 8 ounce glass bottle or mason jar.
  • Pour vodka into bottle to fill, leaving a 1/2-inch space between the vodka and the top of the bottle.
  • Place the lid on the jar to close. Let sit for 6 weeks, giving the bottle a gentle shake every 2-3 days. Be sure to store them in a cool, dry place away from sunlight.
  • The extracts will be ready for use after 6 weeks. If you'd like, you can strain the raw ingredients from the extract bottles. Extracts stay good for at least several years.

Notes​

• Vanilla Extract: 4 whole vanilla bean pods (3 to 4 inch) + 8 ounces vodka
  • Almond Extract: 1/2 cup raw unsalted slivered almonds + 8 ounces vodka
  • Lemon Extract: 2 lemon rinds, peeled into strips + 8 ounces vodka
  • Orange Extract: 1 large orange rind, peeled into strips + 8 ounces vodka
  • Mint Extract: 1 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves+ 8 ounces vodka
  • Coconut Extract: 1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh coconut meat + 8 ounces vodka
  • Cinnamon Extract: 4 sticks whole cinnamon + 8 ounces vodka

Nutrition​

Serving: 1teaspoon | Calories: 67kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1mg

Latest posts

Back