Homemade Sideswiper CW Key

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldGrouch

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
While staying at home the past weeks (COVID-19 self quarantine) I decided to work on getting my CW skill back up to speed. Somewhere in this process I learned of a type of key that I don't remember ever hearing about before, one with an interesting history, The Sideswiper Key AKA the "Cootie" key. Several folks manufacture and sell these but I found a fair bit of information on how to make one from parts you can purchase at your local hardware store... so... since I haven't built any of my Ham rigs or accessories in a long time.... I gave it a shot. Please be kind!

No where near ready to get on the air using this key but I was truely amazed at how well it works.

--Dwight

Attachments

• Rat Trap Sideswiper.JPG
    Rat Trap Sideswiper.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
While staying at home the past weeks (COVID-19 self quarantine) I decided to work on getting my CW skill back up to speed. Somewhere in this process I learned of a type of key that I don't remember ever hearing about before, one with an interesting history, The Sideswiper Key AKA the "Cootie" key. Several folks manufacture and sell these but I found a fair bit of information on how to make one from parts you can purchase at your local hardware store... so... since I haven't built any of my Ham rigs or accessories in a long time.... I gave it a shot. Please be kind!

No where near ready to get on the air using this key but I was truely amazed at how well it works.

--Dwight
I enlarged the picture and on close inspection, you did a great job. Back in the late 50's and early 60's I got my Novice license and my dad got me a real fancy adjustable weighted side key, it worked far faster than my ability to figure the code, I was really slow, both sending and receiving. The only thing I miss having was the old RME shortwave radio, it looked like the one in the picture. Sorry for the double pic, my computer is really getting to be a PITA.
s-l640.jpg

Nice job, Dwight! CW is a great skill to have...one I wish to acquire someday.

I learned code just good enough to get my General License (5wpm). Passed the test and never touched it again.
Good story on my wife. Shewanted to get her Tech License so she could talk to me on our drive to and from work. I had gotten mine a few years before. Anyway a good friend started teaching a beginners class to get folks up to speed before testing. So I'd drive her to the next county over and set thru the class and help out when asked. At the end of the first lesson, the instructor said he was going to teach the code next. (At the time a Tech + license was available). Wife wasn't interested at all and got up, went to the restroom, and when she came back she picked right up on the code that was playing. So much so the instructor started messing with her and she kept right up with him. Everyone else was struggling mightily, including me. Next class, same thing. When the classes were over and we went to test, we went to a local group and most of the testers were older guys that worked almost nothing but code. When the wife passed the written, they asked her about doing the code, she agreed. They started walking up behind her and watching as she copied. To a man they were blown away. She ended up copying at 13wpm. After that night, she never touched it again. But I'd bet within a few hours she would go right back to it.

Believe it or not, I learned code with a friend helping me using a piano. Probably the biggest problem with learning code and wave length formulas was that I had a girl friend that I was far more interested in than anything else.

Thanks for the comments!

I got my Novice ticket in 75 and enjoyed a good number of QRP CW QSO's, continued to work CW along with SSB for several years after upgrading. Then children came along and I felt they were a priority over Ham Radio so for many years the Ham Shack was mobile only. I'm not one to even attempt CW mobile :) , so that skill was lost over time. Probably been 20 years since I had a CW QSO.

Have practiced sending CW with the "Rat Trap" Sideswiper and while still amazed at how well it works I hope to modify it a little bit over the weekend. The wood base is a very soft wood (Balsa) and the screws for the contact brackets allow some movement which affects the amount of swing so plan to drill holes and replace with bolts, while I'm at that thinking to move the wires under the base for looks. Don't like the small rubber feet as handles/paddles, too small, so planning to try gluing a couple heavy guitar picks to the bar/ruler instead and try that.

--Dwight

Latest posts

Back