Homemade vegetable broth without chemicals: This is the best way to prepare it!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I missed this post when you first put it up. I try to avoid chemicals because some give me migraines. I'm with Dani about this. This is good as long as we have electricity.
I do think dehydrating or freeze drying the cooked vegetables and then making sure they are powdered would be a way to get around the concern of electricity. Then putting a tablespoon or two or three into hot water, would be a good way to make a broth.

I like bone broth and no chicken or turkey is consumed in my house without the carcass being simmered and turned into broth.

I have made beef bone broth, but getting the bones for that is no longer inexpensive. Bones now come at a price. There was a time when you could get them for free by asking the butcher at the grocery store. I saw it when I was a meat wrapper in a meat department decades ago.

Those carrots that were peeled? I know it is not as pretty to leave the peelings on, but there is good nutrition in the peelings of carrots and potatoes. There are things where peeling them is more attractive, but sometimes I leave the peelings on for nutritional reasons.

I do purchase broth and stock, but I know it is so full of chemicals.

@elkhound I didn’t notice this thread before.
You always present a lot of helpful and useful information. I’ve never seen turmeric before so I’m guessing when the person put gloves on…it is like handling a jalapeño?
There are a lot of vegetables that are not considered for every day use because they’re considered “weird” but it is probably because we don’t know how to use them.

If the veggies are commercially grown, they should be peeled. Washing is not a guarantee that they will be chemical free.

I think I will give this a go and freeze dry it. I will greatly increase the quantity though. I will also decrease the salt. It seems excessive and not needed as a preservative with freeze drying or dehydrating.

Turmeric is probably used for coloring and the gloves are to keep from staining your fingers and looking like a 40 year veteran smoker.

I participated in making, canning many liters of broth.. Both red meat and bird base broth..
Onion peels, carrot and potato peels, ends of celery stalks got frozen and saved until stock making time.. I liked the idea of being able to reduce, limit, or make with no added salt..

Latest posts

Back