Homestead Math And Homestead Cooking.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kansas Terri

Friend
Neighbor
Eggs gathered yesterday: 5
Eggs eaten yesterday: 1

I KNOW I bought too many chicks, but who can resists chicks from breeds called "Black Star", "Silver-laced Wyandotte", etc? Fortunately hens like to eat scrambled eggs too: this morning I gave them 14 so now the egg dish in the fridge is no longer overflowing. It is merely full.

I need to make more deviled eggs.

Before I was a homesteader I would think long and hard about raising the foods I cared to cook with but now I know better. A good homestead cook starts with what the land IS PRODUCING and then makes it into something tasty, instead of worrying so much about raising the foods the cook prefers to cook with.

Which does not change the fact that I need to make more deviled eggs, LOL!

You are suffering to what is known as chicken math. From the way you talk chances are good next Spring you'll walk in to the feed store, hear the peeping and walk out with some new additions.

You can freeze the eggs. Crack them open and put in a regular size ice tray and freeze. You can pop them out to put in freezer bags to use for later. Oh, make sure you break the yolk.

I think it will be 12 months (next winter) before the birds quit laying, So, as long as I am getting eggs every day I will just eat them fresh or feed them back to the hens. Next Fall will soon enough to think about saving eggs!

Most years I am very successful at not buying chicks: I do not buy feed when the chick man visits the feed store. Because I have a lovely speckled dual purpose rooster and I would like a hen as they are lovely AND because this breed sometimes goes broody, and once I decide to buy a chick I am a sucker to buy just a couple more. So I do not shop for a hen to match him because I do not trust myself. The feed store puts up a flyer announcing when the chick man will be there, and I avoid the feed store on those days. To avoid temptation

I realize that as long as the stores sell eggs at 80 cents per dozen I am losing money by keeping hens, but I do not care. I like them. And, since I do not intend to sell eggs I do not want to be gathering dozes of eggs per day

OMG! Eggs are $4 a dozen here even at Walmart. That was the main reason we had chickens. I miss them! K promised I could get them again when we move. I should had pushed harder to keep a few...

The last two times I bought eggs at Walmart the large were about 27Cents a dozen.

HOLY EGG OMELETTE BATMAN!! That's 1930's prices!

We have a small local chain here that runs a special about once a month when eggs are 99¢ a dozen. I've never seen eggs for 27¢ a dozen.

It is still worth it. Eggs here sell for a few bucks a dz. Thats for the thin shelled white eggs. I am getting about 9 eggs a day right now, and almost double that in the summer. Our son lives on our property, and has his own chickens, and they lay well, too. When I have too many, I sell them for $4 a dz, and/or bring in eggs for my school staff. They love them. That perk goes a long way. BUT what happens when SHTF happens? You will have chickens and know how to raise them. People will want your eggs (and chickens!). There won't be a store around to buy eggs or chickens. I was one of those who would buy a ton of chicks at the feed store. Now we hatch our own. Have silkies due to hatch on the 18th/19th, and full sized mixed types due on the 21st. I missed having those furry butts around.

do you folk with high egg prices all live in Canada? I have heard that eggs cost much more in Canada.

I am proud of my flock. The have a small shelter and a reasonable run, and most days I throw grass into the run so they can have some salad. Not during mid winter, of course, as the grass dies back. I bed them down with dried lawn clippings and leaves. Some of our hens lay well until they are pretty darned old.

I think that the cheap price is a local loss-leader. People come into the store to buy the loss-leader items, and they stay to buy bread and butter and cereal and such.

Right now all of the stores have cheap eggs.

Store bought eggs can't even begin to compare to farm fresh! Not even in the same league! Here we donate our extra eggs to the food pantry. Also feed them to the pigs. Also if you bake your shells and crush them up a little you can feed them to your hens. Helps them make a better egg shell. Baking the shells keeps the chickens from becoming egg eaters.

Latest posts

Back