Homestead Remodel

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hashbrown

Peckerwood
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
My wife and I got married 11 years ago shortly after that we bought a chunk of land with a house and several outbuildings. The house was in serious need of work but us being in the construction business I saw no problem with making a nice old place out of it. What I didn't see coming was the economy crash. I had heavy equipment that didn't move for a year after that and couldn't buy a construction build, so there was zero money for working on our old house. A couple years ago construction type work started picking up and I was able to land some decent jobs and even start building projects of our own again. Finally we could start working on our own home. My goal is to have it complete by the end of spring 18. We have came along way with just The wife and I doing all of the work. Ill start with some outside photos before and after.

01-30-10_1020.jpg

house19.jpg
house13.JPG
house16.jpg
house8.jpg
house12.jpg
house1.jpg
house6.JPG
house4.jpg
house5.jpg

I love watching old homes being brought back to life. The BIL bought a home in bad need of remodeling, same thing happened to him, the crash stopped all the work but then when he started picking up jobs again there is no time to work on the house.

The ladder on the roof is a nice touch. :thumbs up:

I love watching old homes being brought back to life. The BIL bought a home in bad need of remodeling, same thing happened to him, the crash stopped all the work but then when he started picking up jobs again there is no time to work on the house.

The ladder on the roof is a nice touch. :thumbs up:

My wife didn't think we were ever going to get to do it. We completely remodeled the inside as well.

Had to smile at the tools laying around on the bathroom vanity. While we were building our house in GA there was tools of one sort of or another laying everywhere. We actually moved in to it before all of the drywall was in.

Lovely work btw.

Great job HB I can imagine the satisfaction you must feel. The place we bought has all wood interior and was built by a master carpenter. The only work I had to was cosmetic who would cover hardwood floors with linoleum or cover a beautiful wooden ceiling with tiles?

I love what you have done! We have been working on our house for a long time too. It is so exciting to make progress.

Ah, the infamous drywall cutout by the washer drain. I can't remember how many homes I have owned or rented that did have the cutout. Never could figure why you would not do a clean out, before having to do a cutout.

sorry for my ignorance... I haven't seen any homes with the cutout by the washer drain... I'm assuming the trap there had to be replaced because it froze and broke in the winter... is there something else that I'm missing?

It looks like im going to make my spring of 18 goal! We got new roofs installed on the house and cabin last week and we are having a new high efficient green speed heat pump installed in 2 weeks. I have spent my weekends cutting firewood every since I could load a piece of wood in the truck at least 45 years of it and honestly i think it would be nice to set a thermostat and watch some tv on a saturday morning instead of swinging a maul. My last project is the kitchen and cooking is my passion so I'm going to do it up! So i'll be saving a long time for that one!

roof3.jpg

roof1.jpg

roof2.jpg

Uh oh Terri, I hope you didn't jinx him by saying that...

Latest posts

Back