Homesteader's Nine Patch BOW Quiltalong

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CalicoKatie

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Yee-haw!!! Wake up, everybody!! We gotta get some quilting and some gabbing going on around here! I'm not talking about six months or so from now, I'm talking about today, right now. So jump up, stomp your feet, shake your fingers to get the blood flowing and start picking out your fabric. We're going to do a block of the week with simple, fast nine patch blocks that are so cute, it will make your toes curl up when you look at them. These patterns will be 12 1/2" unfinished and you can make them scrappy or controlled, prints or plaids or whatever suits your fancy. I want to emphasize how easy these patterns are to make. If you have your fabric stacked up and ready to go, cutting and stitching the blocks together won't take much more than an hour a week depending on your experience. So don't be telling me you don't have time for this because that's just no excuse at all. If you're a quilter, you're going to find that hour a week because - you're a quilter! :green man:

If you're a newbie, this is a great opportunity to learn some different techniques using simple, somewhat larger pattern pieces. If you need helpful suggestions, just ask! We'll also talk about different ways to set our blocks and I'll offer a few ideas.

Every Friday morning, beginning on January 12th, I'll post a link to an online pattern that will all be nine patch variations. You might want to use a plain nine patch as a connector block so that won't be one of the 12. I'll try to have my own block made up ahead of time to post a picture so you can see my version. I can't tell you how much fabric you'll need because it will depend on your own color and fabric choices how much you use in each block. I pulled out dark blues, some red and some white for mine so I'll be making a scrappy red, white and blue quilt. If you have a favorite color like purple or green, make a one color quilt using dark, medium and light prints and solids for a monochrome design on a light or dark background. It would be bee-you-tee-ful!! There will be 12 blocks in all so we'll finish this BOW the end of March - just in time for spring. On your mark, start grabbing that fabric and start gabbing about what you choose! :great:

Let's start off by talking a little about settings. With 12 blocks, you can easily sash and border them for a lap size quilt. If you want to make it larger, you can make 13 connector blocks set together with a border. Or, you can make those connectors, put a sash between all the blocks and then a border. Woo woo! That little lap quilt has grown into a bed size quilt. If you want the connectors, it's easy to make one or two a week along with your BOW. The connectors can be something simple like a plain nine patch or a shoo fly. They can be scrappy but I like them all made in the same color because it sets your pieced blocks apart.

Here are a couple of ideas for connectors.

http://www.quilterscache.com/N/NinePatchBlock.html

http://www.quilterscache.com/S/ShooFlyBlock.html

http://blocksnswaps.blogspot.com/2009/03/thrifty-quilt-block-pattern.html

The Thrifty quilt block link I used is for a 6" pattern but I wanted you see that color arrangement because it forms a nice chain. If you use a sashing and cornerstone, you'll get a pretty chain between all the blocks over the whole quilt top.

We're off to a good start! This format is different for me so I'm having to figure out what I can do. I just checked and it looks like posting a picture is the same technique. We'll see how many boo boos I make before I get it all figured out. :woo hoo: I love the emos here!

Yay Jackie!!!!! Im so glad that you are joining us!!!! Give that Estelle a kiss from me and Strawberry a pet!!!!
I will give Estelle kiss Wednesday when I have her again.
She gave me her upper respirtory infection. Bummer! But she feels better.
Strawberry is laying on my lap as I type this getting her ears scratched.

I'm glad to see all of you that are coming to visit from HT. As it was said, once I started this forum I was disabled. Not banned, just cannot log in or get a new password. I'm so happy to see you and hope we can get the swaps going here with the new friends and old ones.

I started making nine patch blocks last year and made a couple of sets then after a while I got distracted and put them to one side. I pulled them out and surprise, surprise, I have all the blocks made for this BOW but some are in the r/w/b set and some are in another. I'm hoping that while doing this BOW with you, I can get tops made from both sets. Here are the fabrics I think I'll start with because I'll be making a smaller quilt with them. I just have to decide on the setting.

Has anybody else chosen their fabrics?

Attachments

• IMG_20180107_125848.jpg
    IMG_20180107_125848.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 24
Katie, where do we find a picture of the whole quilt? I couldn't find it in your initial post, just links to "connecting blocks".

I stopped by to see all the pretty pics. There are not any except for CK's squares. I guess it's too soon to think a quilt could be done in less than 24 hours.

Katie, where do we find a picture of the whole quilt? I couldn't find it in your initial post, just links to "connecting blocks".

If you re-read the posts, I think you'll see that this is a block of the week and people will choose their own settings for the blocks. We'll talk about different ways to set our blocks and the links you refer to merely offered a few possibilities for alternate patterns. These are brilliant, independent women who like to design their own quilts. This BOW gives them a base to build on and I can't wait to see what they do with it. It will be wonderful if we have a few newbies take part so they can learn some of the ins and outs of quilting.
:fun fun:

Latest posts

Back