Homesteader's Nine Patch BOW Quiltalong

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found it. The link you posted still works but you have to have the link. If you look at the close up shots of the blocks so you can really see the colors, you could probably duplicate them pretty easily. The basket quilt might look complicated because of the setting but, believe me, you could practically make it in your sleep.
https://www.craftsy.com/quilting/kits/canyon-creek-quilt-along/500591

Contrary Wife. One more to catch up....

IMG_20180321_221327.jpg

Greeneyes, we only have two more blocks, tomorrow and next week's. The way you've cranked these out, you'll probably have your quilt top finished by the next week! It's going to be such a beauty.

Dani, I'm planning on starting this quilt in a couple of months after I get some quilting done. If you're interested in making it, we could do it together. I don't think I'm going to use the baskets, though. I'm thinking about fan blocks in the corners which would make a Dresden Plate medallion in the center or stars in the corners and a Dutch Rose medallion. Actually I thought it would be fun to make one of these for each of my grandson's for wedding quilts so I could use all three patterns. I have plenty of time because they won't be needed any time in the near future, thank goodness. Doesn't that quilt have that special kind of look?

Katie, I'm really hoping one of the next 2 blocks is just a 2 color block. :D I've got 2 grey and teal and 1 grey and purple. I was hoping to use those as my center block in each row. I'm hoping to start adding sashing soon. I really want to finish a project. My dad is coming for a visit second week of April, so not sure how much sewing I'll get done then. I need to start cleaning house and my barn. My daughter's been sick all week so that's set me back on cleaning.

We're going to make another old favorite this week- the Churn Dash block. It's known by several different names - Monkey Wrench, Lover's Knot and Hole in the Barn Door to name a few. Generally the only difference is the size of the connecting pieces between the corner HSTs. It has really seen a big surge in popularity recently because I've seen at least a half dozen swaps and quiltalongs using it in the last year! It's another great filler block because it blends so well in a sampler or it's a great stand alone pattern for a country scrap quilt.
http://www.quilterscache.com/C/ChurnDashBlock.html

After you look at all the pictures on this search page, you'll want to drop everything and start making dozens of Churn Dash blocks! Setting it on point gives it a completely different, really neat, look. I love the red and white scrappy quilt on the top row.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=churn+dash+quilts&qpvt=churn+dash+quilts&FORM=IGRE

Here's a Lover's Knot. You can see what I mean about the sizing difference.
http://starwoodquilter.blogspot.com/2013/10/lovers-knot-quilt-block-for-my-curl-up.html

Hole in the Barn Door makes a larger center that is great for using novelty or fussy cut fabrics.
https://joysjotsshots.blogspot.com/2014/04/quilt-shot-block-23-hole-in-barn-door.html

Here are my blocks.

Attachments

• IMG_20180322_153922.jpg
    IMG_20180322_153922.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20180322_153905.jpg
    IMG_20180322_153905.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 8
I was working on my X block last night and ran out of bobbin, so I went to bed. Heading to the walk in clinic and barn soon. Even with all we did last night my daughter still barely got any sleep. Vick's on feet with socks, Vick's on chest, new cool mist vaporizer with a Vick's pad, pillows propping her up, and Robitussin night time (cause the perscription wasn't touching the cough). She missed school all week. Her doctor cleared her Tuesday to go to school Wed. but the cough and nose is non stop and I felt she would be a distraction to the class :( It's Easter break now, but she will be gone all weekend, so hopefully she doesn't get worse.

She would be so miserable trying to go to school with the cough and nose issues. It seems like the teachers wouldn't want her back yet either so maybe you could get her school assignments for her to work at home for another week at least. Just because she might not be contagious now doesn't mean she isn't still sick. Poor kid, I feel for her. :(

Honestly this will probably just become another UFO once it gets to the quilting stage. I don't do well quilting on my machine. I've thought about gifting it, but no recipient comes to mind that feels right. I've also thought about keeping it for my couch, cause I hate short, store bought throws. Years ago I bought a quilting template for the Baptist fan. I wanted to use it on a string quilt I made as a baby gift. I couldn't wrap my brain around how to do it :( I've thought about seeing if I can find it, and try it again. I just don't know, lol

Attachments

• IMG_20180324_121039.jpg
    IMG_20180324_121039.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 4
Honestly this will probably just become another UFO once it gets to the quilting stage. I don't do well quilting on my machine. I've thought about gifting it, but no recipient comes to mind that feels right. I've also thought about keeping it for my couch, cause I hate short, store bought throws. Years ago I bought a quilting template for the Baptist fan. I wanted to use it on a string quilt I made as a baby gift. I couldn't wrap my brain around how to do it :( I've thought about seeing if I can find it, and try it again. I just don't know, lol
I quilt my tops on home sewing machine. Unless it's one I decided months in advance to hand stitch.
Don't have room for long arm quilting machine unless I want to go back to Tennessee and use it out in the sewing room in the barn.
No animals in barn,haven't been for years. Might have to think about bringing all that stuff home in the future.

Another fun Block Katie.!!. I loved the Hole in the Barn Door with the piggies looking out.. too cute.. I have loved the Churn Dash block for years.. it's one of the first quilts I made.. I still use the quilt to snuggle up with while napping on my bed.. as I had my husband take a picture of it, one of our cats, Lugnut, jumped up there and wouldn't get down.. He always has to know what is going on.. Thanks Katie..

Greeneyes you are doing so wonderfully,, !! I am hoping you will show us the whole quilt after you get all finished..

Attachments

• thumbnail_008.jpg
    thumbnail_008.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 8
Maxine Lugnut is precious, and I like your quilt! I will post pics as I make progress. I really hope I don't lose interest and then it becomes another UFO.

I had tentative plans to go out with one of my friends tonight, but I think she's gonna bail on me. She wanted to do a paint night, but the place is booked for a bachelorette party. If she cancels, I'll start my Churn Dash, and start sashing

I had all my pieces cut and marked for Churn Dash last night, and decided it wouldn't take any time to sew up. I made the mistake of opening FB and the first post I saw was a member of Quilting Cats had lost their quilt inspector. I lost it, uncontrollable sobs, for someone I never met. I'm thinking I need to mute my 3 cat groups until I heal more. I love seeing everyone's furbabies, but all the losses lately is overwhelming to me.

I will be throwing Churn Dash together real quick after I eat. Then running to the store to stock an Easter basket before Cherokee gets home this evening

Opinions please!!!! I was going to use a 1.5" sashing, that will give me about a 63.5" length. If I'm laying on the couch I like longer throws. I was considering using a 2.5" on the very top and bottom sashing. Anyone ever done this? Does it look ok? I'm also considering doing 1.5" vertical sashing and 2" horizontal sashing with the top and bottom being 2.5". The quilt will be 3x4, blocks are 12". I don't really want it any wider. I know it's my quilt, my rules. I'm just wondering if anyone has done it before and if it threw off the balance of the quilt. Oh and there will be a 4" border.

Well I have an inspector!! He didn't help piece it, but the instant it hit the bed for a pic he was there. The last block won't be issued til Friday. Am I getting ahead of myself? I also have sashing sewn on the other 2 blocks! I guess I could have put the top piece on... One pic without flash, 2 pics with
IMG_20180326_032020.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180326_032000.jpg
    IMG_20180326_032000.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20180326_033102.jpg
    IMG_20180326_033102.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 9
Looks like you are ready to go on Friday, Greeneyes! I can't wait to see your finished quilt top with the peacock border. It's going to be gorgeous!

I'm thinking I might go ahead and cut my peacock borders and get them mitered together. I also got thread for the Finley's Fence I was wanting to start.... Need to clean house, barn, yard, but I want to sew!!!

Drum roll, please! This is the last block in our Homesteader's Nine Patch BOW quiltalong - the Broken Wheel. This pattern looks exactly like it's name and reminds you of covered wagons trailing each other westward across the continent.
http://www.quilterscache.com/B/BrokenWheelBlock.html

I've pulled up a couple of pictures of this block made into quilts. I like this simple setting of the blocks with a sash and cornerstones.
http://sistersandquilters.blogspot.com.au/2013/07/fabulous-new-quilt-ideas.html

Here's a beautiful scrappy Broken Wheel quilt set block to block on point.
http://quiltmaybe.blogspot.ca/2013/09/sunny-friday.html

I've used this pattern several times in sampler quilts but don't have one made in the fabrics I've shown my other blocks made with. Here are a couple from different nine patch sets I have stashed back. You can never have too many of these made up! The green and red one is from a set of 9" nine patch blocks. That's actually my favorite size for these patterns. They are unbelievably cute!

Attachments

• IMG_20180324_135726.jpg
    IMG_20180324_135726.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20180330_080904.jpg
    IMG_20180330_080904.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 11
Wow! I've never really payed attention to this this block before... it's really quite pretty.. I like the quilting on the one from Sisters & Quilters, it's wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing this block..

I am sorry this BOW is over.. I cannot tell you how much I've enjoyed participating, each Friday morning I could hardly wait with coffee in hand, and great anticipation to see what the next block was going to be.. Thank You so much Katie for leading us on a journey of adventure :horseback:.. Its been quite fun! I do hope we will do it again. :quilting:

Maxine, I'm so glad you've enjoyed this! I have at least five sets of nine patch blocks that need to be set together and pulling these out for you all has given me a push to get some of them set into tops. I'm hoping to finish quilting my Duck and Ducklings top in the next week but I have a stack of pin basted tops that are ready to put on the frame and that's going to be my focus for a while. I might try to alternate making a quilt top in between the quilting so if I hold my hands to the fire and my pedal to the metal, I could get a lot of things finished in the next few months. Angie mentioned doing a swap this spring so if that happens and she approves, I could probably get another quiltalong going in mid to late summer if there's interest.

Greeneyes, you have really spoiled us by showing us all your blocks and progress on this BOW. We'll all be watching and waiting now to see your finished quilt! You should name this one after you get it together. Something like Peacocks Gone Wild?
:hippo:

Latest posts

Back