Hoop house is started

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SLADE

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I started with a 20x52 and made room for another of the same size.
When the crap hits the fan we will not be running any where.
I needed more options to grow more crops as we got a lot of rain and lost tomatoes and peppers.
We also get snow knee high to a small giant and wanted to plant earlier and grow later in the year.

I started with a 20x52 and made room for another of the same size.
When the crap hits the fan we will not be running any where.
I needed more options to grow more crops as we got a lot of rain and lost tomatoes and peppers.
We also get snow knee high to a small giant and wanted to plant earlier and grow later in the year.
Count your blessing you have the space for 2 of those.

They would fit on my property if...

I combined the titles for both sides of the duplex
And
Tore down my house.
🤣

Ben

Last edited:
I started with a 20x20 with room to make it a 20x40. Three year later, its still only a 20x20 but one of these days....

20x50 should give you some pretty significant harvests.

I found it really doesn't do much to extend the season. With the side curtains down, I get a 10º temp bump at night, BUT, I get humidity problems that are worse than cool temps. What it does do, is increase the QUALITY of my growing season by raising daytemp temps and keeping the rain off.

So unless its literally freezing, I always leave the side curtains up when I have plants in there. the doors I have on mechanical thermostat openers so they pop open during the day too to keep the temps below 90º

The plastic was warrantied for 4 year, but in my location most people get at least 8.

I also grow everything as vertically as possible since I have 20x20 floor space, with a 16' ceiling. This year I have tomatoes a good ten feet high.
IMG_4919.jpeg

I had built some insulated cold frames some years ago and still had lettuce until Jan 15.
The greens would have continued but we ran out of greens.
I live in zone 4b and it can be 20 below so not bad.
I always wanted to have an insulated top to put over the cold frame at night.
I plan to try that again with an insulated top I can put on.

Back