Hot and Sour Soup

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Someone asked... here's my take on hot n sour soup. Instead of "stock" I use broth. If I want Seafood Hot n Sour Soup I add a handful of peeled/de-veined shrimp and either fish or oyster sauce.

Also, the corn starch slurry... I sometimes mix it with a whole cup of chicken broth if I want more soup.

Shrimp - I toss my shrimp in a small bowl of water during prep so it's thawed slightly when I add it to the soup. Bringing it back to a simmer is all the cooking the shrimp needs, you'll see the orange/red color when the shrimp is done.

This recipe is based on Jett Tila's asian cookbook I posted in the library. It's forgiving as to changes of ingredients... Except...

When using red pepper flakes or hot garlic paste. It's easy to get the soup to hot!

Also... its easy to get the soup too salty. I always use low sodium soy sauce and low sodium broth when cooking. This leaves me a little room to add salt if needed.

Hot and Sour Soup Total Time: 20 mins

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
  • 2 ounces shiitake mushrooms (or baby bella mushrooms), thinly-sliced no stems
  • 1 ounce of bamboo shoots, drained
  • 1/2 Tsp red pepper flakes Or 1/4 Tsp chili garlic sauce
  • 1/4 Tsp white pepper
  • 1/4 Tsp white sugar
  • 1/2 Tsp salt
  • 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar or more to taste
  • 1/2 Tsp soy sauce/ or low sodium
  • 2 Tsp ground ginger/fresh root
  • 1/4 Tsp chili garlic sauce
  • 1/4 Tsp toasted sesame oil
  • 8 oz fried pork or shrimp (w/shrimp add 1/4 Tsp oyster or fish sauce)
  • 1/2 egg, whisked
  • 1 Tbsp cornstarch in 1Tbsp stock
  • 2 green onions (scallions), thinly sliced for garnish
Directions: Bring stock to simmer. Stir in mushrooms, shoots, wet mix, dry mix. Let simmer about 5 minutes, adjust flavors if needed.

Mix in cornstarch slurry and add shrimp/pork stirring constantly until soup thickens.
As soon as it reaches a simmer I turn off the heat.
Then add egg slowly while stirring in figure 8 pattern until ribbons form.
Serve hot, add garnish and add white pepper. (fresh ground is best)

Last edited:
Here is a couple of samples... the same recipe with slight changes. The first one was hot enough to break a sweat on my forehead.

Hot n Sour Soup (2).JPG
Hot n Sour Soup (3).jpg

Your soups look so good, and like they simmered for a couple hours, but you say 20 minutes?
Here is the recipe we make for Thai Coconut Soup (okay, I eat it, they make it):
8 c. chicken broth (or vegetable)
can of coconut milk
ginger sticks, maybe an 1/8 c.
carrot sticks, desired portion
spring onions (or not), same
bunch of mushrooms, same
shrimp, 1-2 lbs., thawed and shelled of course, chopped if you want
cilantro, desired portion
juice of 1-2 limes, or more
And any other vegs you want to put in it, like your recipe, Peanut.
I think they high simmer the ingredients for 10-15 minutes, enough to get everything cooked enough.

Latest posts

Back