House plants that help clean the air in a home.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t see it! Plants emit oxygen from the water they absorb from their roots. They do absorb CO2, not the hundreds of airborne chemicals in a modern home.

https://www.howplantswork.com/2009/02/16/plants-dont-convert-co2-into-o2/

The plants on the above list are “hard to kill”, meaning they use very little water so produce very little oxygen.

I don’t see the benefit. My advice… just open a window or buy a HEPA filter for your home. ;)

Back "in the day" these closed environments (sorry the name alludes me) with animals and plants were all the rage. The idea was that each provided to the support of the other. While I'm sure that even one plant will help I expect that you would have to turn your home into a jungle to make a significant impact.

When I was in high school I did a science experiment with the closed environment as the subject. I used a gallon jar, a turtle that was on its last legs (I thought), leafy plants, a liitle soil, moss and a jar lid of water. I set it length wise on a counter in the classroom, wrote a hypothesis and kept a data chart. It was closed up for a month and then it was time to share my experiment with my peers and opened the jar. OMGoodness!!! That turtle ran out and tried to bite my finger!!! He wasnt on his last legs anymore!!! The plants were lush and had grown. I got an A+ on my project.

Latest posts

Back