How accurate are Non-Professional GPS instruments, like on a cell phone or Wilderness Rescue Tools like PLB and Inreach, etc.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
How accurate are Non-GPS instruments, like on a cell phone or Wilderness Rescue Tools like PLB and Inreach, etc.

Specifically, the ones that locate private property lines from public property lines...??
Is one system more accurate than others....???

Last edited:
When I lived near Las Vegas, so maybe 10 years ago, I opened the maps app on my cell phone and in my house when I zoomed in it showed what part of the house I was in from the maps satellite view. The cellular triangulation ability 10 years ago was able to move with me as I walked around my house. I believe it is much better now, but since I am rural it isn't quite as accurate in my current home.
It has been a few years since I used my Garmin GPS (whatever it's called) and if I was on top of a ridge or mountain I could zoom in and it would be spot on, but when I was lower and in less view of the available satellites it was off by a long ways., well over a few hundred yards.
Sooo, basically if you are in an area with enough coverage it will be more accurate, but I don't know how precise, maybe within a few feet.

Last year I did work on my properties to consolidate several parcels into one, among some other work with adjacent property owners. To try to make it easy for the surveyor and to reduce my cost, I cut paths through the exceptionally thick brush to corners of my property line using Onx Hunt to find about 14 boundary points. Onx Hunt got me within 10 yards on all but one corner. The one corner that was off was on an exceptionally step hill that I had to use a rope to lower myself to get to. I was pretty impressed with Onx Hunt as was the surveyor. You do need to pay for the ability to identify property boundries and owners of that property. I used my iPhone to download the app to. I have a Garmin in my RV, and it gets me to about 20-30 yards most of the time, usually. Sometimes it is way off, and my garmin doesn’t show property lines.

My Uncle's neighbor claimed he had built his house on the neighbor's property. Uncle hired a surveyor and it showed he did not. So a different neighbor got involved and hired a different surveyor and got a different boundary.
In then end they all got together and got an accurate survey and the lines were where they had been all along.
My neighbor had a guy buy the property next door and the guy said the fence line was 30 feet over the property line according to their guy so they lost 30 feet because they don't have the money to fight the new guy.
I have dealt with property lines in the past and it's a pain.

Slightly different direction here. I read an article this week about a female hiker in the Grand Canyon who was using a Garmin device. She used it to contact emergency to get a helicopter in to assist the others who were falling very ill with gastroenteritis. Quite a few people became ill, most likely the water. She said the only other way to get help would have been to hike out. From garmin website: “I hit the SOS button on my inReach, and within 30 seconds the Garmin International Emergency Response Coordination Center (IERCC) staff was messaging me, asking for details. With my inReach paired to my phone, I was able to easily text back the details. A minute later, a Grand Canyon ranger was messaging me to get more details. I advised him of the sick hikers, their conditions, names, ages and our location.”

A number of years back the property owners on both sides of our property had a surveyor come and check for the legal property lines, once the surveyor found the legal corner up on the mountain, using his equipment, a high tech GPS unit, he said his lines were within 1/8th of an inch. We ended up getting pie shaped extra pieces of property, about one foot more on the south end and up to 20 feet at the north end. I think it really surprised the neighbor on the east side, they claimed that we had built our home on their property, or at least too close to theirs. Anyway, in the end it turned out to be a God sent situation and a relief, I suspect that the neighbor on our east side ended up rather upset that their corner posts were changed to favor us, We even mentioned that if our place was too close to their lines, we would be willing to purchase an extra strip of land from them to make things good, God was certainly looking out for us on both sides, the people didn't really loose any important land and we gained a better "Setback", which is always good for neighborly relations.

We are saving up in one of our LLCs to get it surveyed so we can put in a storage shed. There was an old picket fence along the back that the neighboring Karen replaced with a privacy fence. I am hoping to prove that fence is on the property of the LLC. ;)

Ben

We are saving up in one of our LLCs to get it surveyed so we can put in a storage shed. There was an old picket fence along the back that the neighboring Karen replaced with a privacy fence. I am hoping to prove that fence is on the property of the LLC. ;)

Ben
I can think of a few fun ways to handle that if it proves it is on your property. Make her pay to have it removed and make the ground "pretty" and restored to natural appearance. Claim the fence as yours since it is on your property and put an ugly fence at the actual property line. Or, remove it and list it for sale. =-)

Reactions: Neb

Latest posts

Back