How are you today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This should end up being a good thread. Look forward to whats to come.
My day and week ended up decent. our group has been in turmoil since back in the spring when our division director moved out our group leader and left us in the lurch. On top of that we lost 4 people Dec 31 to retirement and haven't been able to replace any of them yet. We finally got a interim group leader in the summer, basically one of my level got promoted. He finally was named permanent group leader in September. In the meantime we have started putting a business plan together for reorganizing our entire group, 9 shops total, to be able to do more than struggle to keep up. We have had to turn down or delay some work due to lack of time to get the work done. Our plan allows for some future growth and can easily be added to so we could take on even more. It was presented to our division director Wed. and she liked it, just wanted a few minor rewriting to make it sound better. It will be presented to her boss as soon as that's done. I hope it goes thru and we can get started hiring some folks. Everyone is stressed and I'm sure missing some elements that could cause problems or get some one hurt.
Sorry that drug out so far. I didn't intend that when I started.

Yesterday: I got to hold beautiful little grandbaby, visit with a son; have taken phone calls from other sons, very sweet. I love my kids! They're good people. I'd like to rough one of them up, but lucky him, he's too far away. Daughters made dinner for us. It wasn't a typical day.

It's life. Some get their share of bad events and some get many other peoples' shares as well, while others seem to float down the river enjoying life without helping others or showing any gratitude.
There's a storm awaiting each of us. How we respond to our events, does it make us or break us. We can be put back together if we break.
I may sound like a crazy person but I speak from experience.

Last edited:
This should end up being a good thread. Look forward to whats to come.

Thank you. Most of us will never know each other face to face. We can still be there, rather here, for each other. Life does have its ups and downs.

We went along for a few years with no major issues, not much prosperity, and I was grateful but had the very certain feeling that hell was going to break loose over us. It's life.

It seems that life does go well or at least okay for years, and then it all goes to hell at once.

I have been taking care of a dog for a year. He was a 9 year old English bulldog. Yesterday was his last. I do not know any details, but his owners have other stuff going on that I know little about.

This couple are in their mid-30's and likely to never have children. That is so much more common these days. Husband was abandoned by his parents when he was 14. They had struggled with homelessness and probably other issues that I don't know about. He is an honest and hard working guy, having had several families come along side him and take him in and provide him a home and care. He was eating out of garbage bins, working, and going to high school. My daughter was one of the people who has been his friend since early on of the abandonment. He graduated from h.s. and tried to join the military. He has an issue with one of his eyes turning in, and was rejected by the army. He joined a reserve group and has been to Iraq and Afghanistan (twice). He has two purple hearts and qualified for a third one, but they wouldn't give it to him, because that meant they couldn't send him overseas again. He was allowed to call home and tell his family he might not make it though.

I don't know details, just know my daughter has been incredibly crabby the last week or so. This male friend, whom my daughter introduced to the wife, moved out a couple months ago. I have no idea why, but it has to do with something he is struggling with and my daughter just found out. She is not happy, but angry and sad. I told her I am going to stay away from her for a while because I just seem to irritate her. Then she said it has to do with this friend, and something she is not supposed to tell me about. He moved out because of this problem. Would it be health? Legal problems? Mental health? He has struggled with PTSD. He is an EMT.

I don't know, but losing their dog yesterday was not good. The wife is a hard working woman with a great job. My daughter is really sad now. She said what a tough year for the wife. I wish I knew more about the husbands problems, but they are his.

This is one of those times that all you can do is pray, and deal with your sadness.

I feel that helping others even when you are down, or having a rough go of it, is one way to help us get out of ourselves and take our load off.
I know it does make a huge difference in my outlook. Others have needs too. A listening ear, a meal taken in to the home, a ride, hanging out, raking their leaves, anything really. We do need to help others and sometimes others don't realize how it benefits both the receiver and the giver.
I'm sorry for your daughter's friends and hope they work it out.
Move forward with hope.

I am tired today. I'm a doer, and look at my days in doing ways. But it was a good day. Kicked my butt, though. I need to make dinner, but I have an adorable grand dog asleep next to me and hate to disturb her. (ha). I babysit when our son and girlfriend go out. Got up early, did morning chores, made a big pot of soup, and got ready to butcher 4 turkeys. One of the teachers from our school came over with her two girls to help. They never did this before, so it was a lesson in thankfulness, respect, and cleanliness. Then we had soup. Then we went to Sams and did a big shopping. Just finished putting stuff away. Good day, but a tired one.

We had a bunch of errands to run today. Got those done, stopped and got some ribs for supper. Then picked up a small metal fire pit. Went home and put it together and had a small fire for a few hours. Just enjoyed the flames, watching the stars and planets move across the sky, and relax a little bit. the fire pit is on the end of our driveway and convienent. I'm betting we will use it for a hour or 2 a lot thru the winter. I love having a fire to sit around.

I loathe and detest pushy people and I like keeping myself to myself but I've had a polite conversation with a older German lady
who stopped to compliment my front yard veggie garden.
Now I can't get rid of her and I've tried to be polite but firm but
the icing on the cake was she stood on my front steps and told me I was depressed,
needed a doctor, gave me the name of a doctor and told me I also needed
anti-depressants and the doctor she suggested would write script for them!!
Then she demanded I have coffee with her because she was lonely and needed me to keep her company!

Pig will fly first!
She's lonely?
I can't imagine why!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

:LOL:@Tank-Girl I see you attract them too :) .

I will share a little story of when my friend and I travelled to Hong Kong we ended up being trailed by a lone German girl who was lovely and polite to us so we didn't mind really. Only thing is when it came to meal times in the hotel buffet she insisted that the staff serve her taste tests of each main on a separate plate and each dessert on a separate plate before she would make her choice. Each meal would take 2 hours :rolleyes: , she drove us and the wait staff stark staring bonkers. She told us and them that this is what was done in every meal establishment over there and that is what was polite to her and expected everywhere.

Oh did I tell you about the time when I was in high school and ran into a rather largely proportioned American woman tourist who loved my Australian accent in a restaurant ?. She decided she would hug me but the only problem was that she had watermelons on her the size of two on each side and you guessed it my head, nose and mouth were firmly wedged between them and I couldn't breathe at all. My arms were flailing and I am sure my lips and face were starting to turn blue before I finally escaped her grasp and a kind woman came to my rescue to find out if I was OK and kept her occupied while I took evasive action and created lots of space.

Then there is drunk people who seem to flock from interstate to me, ironic since I am a teetotaller :) .

I think I smile and am too polite sometimes but that is the way I was brought up.

@Hooch I haven't forgotten you about the chocolate chip and coconut biscuit recipe either (they are what you call cookies I believe in the States)

Queen Drops Biscuits.

Cream 6 oz of butter & 8 oz of sugar to a cream
Add 2 eggs & beat well.
Add 1 Tablepoon of milk, 12 oz of sifted flour to which you add 1 teaspoon of baking powder.
Here you can vary the recipe and add 1/4 lb of currents or we and 1/4lb of each dessicated coconut and the same 1/4 lb of chocolate chips.
Add a pinch of salt and mix well.
Drop small pieces (a teaspoon worth) on a tray with baking paper or greased tins.
Bake in a quick oven for 8 - 10 mins until golden brown.

We used a heaped teaspoon for each biscuit and in a non fan forced oven and we swap the trays around after 13 mins.

Enjoy and these are nice and make a great treat.

@Hooch I haven't forgotten you about the chocolate chip and coconut biscuit recipe either (they are what you call cookies I believe in the States)

Queen Drops Biscuits.

Cream 6 oz of butter & 8 oz of sugar to a cream
Add 2 eggs & beat well.
Add 1 Tablepoon of milk, 12 oz of sifted flour to which you add 1 teaspoon of baking powder.
Here you can vary the recipe and add 1/4 lb of currents or we and 1/4lb of each dessicated coconut and the same 1/4 lb of chocolate chips.
Add a pinch of salt and mix well.
Drop small pieces (a teaspoon worth) on a tray with baking paper or greased tins.
Bake in a quick oven for 8 - 10 mins until golden brown.

We used a heaped teaspoon for each biscuit and in a non fan forced oven and we swap the trays around after 13 mins.

Awesome !!! thank you!!

I spent 4 hours in the ER with my wife.
She has been getting dizzy when she gets up.
Thought it was an ear infection so she went to her Dr.
He said you're slurring your words and you need to get to the ER.
She was not slurring.
Of course the first thing they worry about is a stroke.
Fortunately that was negative.
All lab work was normal so they sent her home and said to go see her doctor on Monday.
She does have a slow heart rate and they think that is the cause.
Not a fun day for either of us.

These sound really good and we just bought a new air fryer and I'm dying to bake something in it.
But I'm on a diet.:(

She was not slurring.
All lab work was normal so they sent her home and said to go see her doctor on Monday.
I hope they can get it figured out and can help her with it.

She was not slurring.

These sound really good and we just bought a new air fryer and I'm dying to bake something in it.
But I'm on a diet.:(

I was having problems with dizziness a few weeks ago. Doc said excess fluid in my ears pushed the calcium crystals in the ear canal out of place. She had me doing these exercises and it has helped.

Doc wanted me to do the half-somersault maneuver but I lost the paper she gave me and found this link with the instructions on it. I found that the Epley one worked better for me.

https://www.webmd.com/brain/home-remedies-vertigo

Last edited:
I was having problems with dizziness a few weeks ago. Doc said excess fluid in my ears pushed the calcium crystals in the ear canal out of place. She had me doing these exercises and it has helped.

Doc wanted me to do the half-somersault maneuver but I lost the paper she gave me and found this link with the instructions on it. I found that the Epley one worked better for me.

https://www.webmd.com/brain/home-remedies-vertigo
I have known people who developed inner ear problems and how seriously this can affect your balance. I have known that some of the exercises are extremely effective.

A friend of mine went to a Thanksgiving celebration with her sister and friends in the mountains last year. On her way home, coming out of mountains, she had to pull off the road and get help driving home. Something was off with the crystals in her ear. I had never heard of this before. But exercises helped her.

Terri, wishing you the best with this.

I have known people who developed inner ear problems and how seriously this can affect your balance. I have known that some of the exercises are extremely effective.

A friend of mine went to a Thanksgiving celebration with her sister and friends in the mountains last year. On her way home, coming out of mountains, she had to pull off the road and get help driving home. Something was off with the crystals in her ear. I had never heard of this before. But exercises helped her.

Terri, wishing you the best with this.

I'm doing fine now. It only bothers me now when I roll over in bed. My allergies were really bad for a couple of weeks right before it happened so the Doc thinks that was the cause.

Never heard of that either @Terri9630 but it makes sense after I looked it up. I find I get dizziness when I am sick usually so that is probably the cause and also the fact that my blood pressure is always really low.
My blood pressure and heart rate always drive Drs nuts. Especially my resting heart rate, it runs about 48 bpm when I'm relaxed.

Today was a good day. Happy, which I'm getting better at feeling.
@Terri9630 ya know you're like a total at peace monk from the Himalayas or a total buff athlete whose heart rate also goes very high. Lol

LOL! I used to run for miles every day before my asthma kicked in. Not anymore though. My heart rate never gets very high and my BP stays at about 118/ 80, its the kid who's BP drops to 65/25 and hr jumps between 40 and 250+ bpm .

spent 4 hours in the ER with my wife.
She was not slurring.

How's your wife feeling? Better I hope.

Back