How can anyone be so cruel?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havasu

Internet Constable
Staff member
Admin
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
This goose with an arrow in its chest was found at a local park. I don't know the current status though.

http://www.sgvtribune.com/2017/12/18/goose-with-arrow-in-shoulder-seen-for-weeks-in-san-dimas-park/

Park rangers at Frank G. Bonelli Regional Park first noticed the arrow protruding from the goose Dec. 1, said Terry Kanakri, a spokesman for the Los Angeles County Department of Parks and Recreation. Since then, rangers, volunteers and staff from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service have attempted to catch the goose to render it aid, but the gray and white goose flies away every time, Kanakri said.

“The goose is fully functioning — it eats and flies,” Kanakri said. “Every time someone comes close, it flies away.”

The park has never before had a bird harmed by an arrow, and illegal hunting is not an issue at Bonelli Park, Kanakri said. He also said the goose could have been shot outside the park.

In September, a Duarte man allegedly fatally shot a deer in a Monrovia neighborhood with a bow an arrow. The man, Michael Jackson Rodriguez, pleaded not guilty in November to a felony count of procuring and offering a false or forged instrument and three misdemeanor counts of discharging a deadly weapon within 150 yards of an occupied dwelling, possession of wildlife taken unlawfully and shooting a bow and arrow within Monrovia.

Rodriguez, who is expected to be back in Pasadena Superior Court on Jan. 10, faces up to 3 1/2 years in county jail if convicted of all charges.

No one has ever made a bad shot? If the arrow did not penetrate the chest cavity and the bird flew away after being shot, that only makes the shooter a bad shot not a bad person.

No one has ever made a bad shot? If the arrow did not penetrate the chest cavity and the bird flew away after being shot, that only makes the shooter a bad shot not a bad person.

I was thinking the same thing. We've found deer around here dead with arrows stuck in them. They run after the shot and the hunter never finds it. I absolutely hate it when that happens, but it does happen.

Poaching on the other hand.......yup, lock em up! I love my animals more than I like most people, so if anyone around me treated an animal cruelly, there'd be hell to pay!

I guess what you are saying could happen, however this is Southern California, and there is no legal hunting areas for 40-50 miles.
Birds fly further than that with every migration. He may have been shot and decided it was time to vacate that area.

Im eating goose tomorrow for xmas eve. I love it. Sounds like the hunter needs to practice more. As a hunter I had to learn the hard way what shots to take. Wounding an animal made me feel like enough of a **** heel to choose my shots carefully and restrain when I didnt have a good one. Ive seen people hunt birds with recurve bows more successfully than I could with a firearm. Impressive. Wish I had that amount of skill with a bow.

This goose with an arrow in its chest was found at a local park. I don't know the current status though.

http://www.sgvtribune.com/2017/12/18/goose-with-arrow-in-shoulder-seen-for-weeks-in-san-dimas-park/

Park rangers at Frank G. Bonelli Regional Park first noticed the arrow protruding from the goose Dec. 1, said Terry Kanakri, a spokesman for the Los Angeles County Department of Parks and Recreation. Since then, rangers, volunteers and staff from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service have attempted to catch the goose to render it aid, but the gray and white goose flies away every time, Kanakri said.

“The goose is fully functioning — it eats and flies,” Kanakri said. “Every time someone comes close, it flies away.”

The park has never before had a bird harmed by an arrow, and illegal hunting is not an issue at Bonelli Park, Kanakri said. He also said the goose could have been shot outside the park.

In September, a Duarte man allegedly fatally shot a deer in a Monrovia neighborhood with a bow an arrow. The man, Michael Jackson Rodriguez, pleaded not guilty in November to a felony count of procuring and offering a false or forged instrument and three misdemeanor counts of discharging a deadly weapon within 150 yards of an occupied dwelling, possession of wildlife taken unlawfully and shooting a bow and arrow within Monrovia.

Rodriguez, who is expected to be back in Pasadena Superior Court on Jan. 10, faces up to 3 1/2 years in county jail if convicted of all charges.

Who knows?

Chuck Negron wrote a book titled " Three Dog Nightmare" about how music industry can be evil too. I got from library several years ago, great read. Amazing what people can live through. Negron in in his 70s now. Amazing.

Last edited:
Prior to living in Az. I lived in Ventura, Ca. Years ago I went to high school there and then moved to Iowa. I used to love hunting and fishing. I traveled and did a lot of big game hunting and in Iowa we hunted waterfowl. It's really moving to be able to call geese and talk them into landing into your decoys. Best times were before sun up we would stand in our duck boat and enjoy the sounds of the marshes we hunted. I have very fond memories of those days. After moving to Ca. I completely lost my desire to hunt but enjoyed ocean fishing. Since moving to Az. I have no desire to go out into 100+ degree weather and fish. Living in a metro area is fine however desert is only 3 miles away however it is mostly owned by BLM and shooting is impossible. Since I have gotten older my travels have really slowed down along with my wife's medical condition. I really think I would enjoy living in a rural area, near some small town where I could drive my Model A Truck around the dirt roads and land that is full of timber. Now we are basically stuck where we are at but I would like to live in the Carolinas or somewhere down near the southern states. The pace is slower and the people seem to be more genuine. I love to smile and talk to people when I go somewhere, even to the grocery store. If you live in such an area, please enjoy and savor every moment that you are there.

Tommy

Latest posts

Back