How did I save money today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Catching up since I last posted in this thread -

- We saved $4350 in furniture removalist costs by comparing prices between 2 companies. They moved everything well and nothing was broken.
- One day we purchased 45.9lts of fuel for DH's car for $1.279 lt saving $11.02 on usual prices around here.
- Another day I filled my car up with fuel at $1.359 per litre saving another $3.23 per litre.
- Another day we filled up DH's car @ $1.269 per litre as I was walking up to pay for the fuel they reduced it by 4c per litre. Happy I was in the right place at the right time for once.
- This week DH has fixed the back screen door so it now slides by oiling the rollers on it and I cleaned out the tracks, DH oiled the old clothes line out the back and got it to go up and down and the handle to unfreeze, we put up cup hooks and square hooks to hang up kitchen sponges and dish washing brushes and we put up L hooks for the bread boards. All together these took around 3 hours to complete saving $246.30 over hiring a odd jobs person or tradesman to do it for us.
- Together we spent 10hrs in total between the 2 of us myself cutting and pruning hedges and vines and DH cutting down vines saving us $450 over hiring someone to do the work for us.

Last couple of weeks I have been fortunate enough to catch the manager discounts. 2 london broil, 2 pork roasts and yesterday 2 pork sirloin rib roasts all for less than half price. They were about to have to throw them away. Brought them home and rushed them off to freezer camp.

Eating at home
Crocheting gifts for the gift cabinet
Let the grand daughter color with Bingo dabbers on brown craft paper for Christmas Wrapping paper.
Gifts will look cute.
Framed some of her first time coloring for her dad as ART work for his apartment.
Making him a collage of pictures for Christmas present.
Wrapping a box of books for the daughter in law(new books).
New books was given to me by a friend.

Today we saved money by -
- Buying a trailer hitch lock on eBay saving $22.95 over purchasing it in our local shops.
- Purchased a 20 lt electric sprayer wheeler spot spray backpack garden tank spray trolley on eBay saving $31.19 over buying it locally.
- Purchased a 100 lt ride on lawnmower towable sprayer with trailer for $315 saving $438 over purchasing it in the shops locally.

Getting close to the end of buying the more expensive machinery needed now for the home and getting down to just buying the little bits and pieces :)

Last edited:
Staying out of the stores.
Pay bills first, money goes into savings account, fill up car,then if money left groceries , spending money $50 for the month.
Change gets collected into pint canning jars scattered through the house, then once a month gets rolled,stashed in the house.
When have enough stashed changed take to bank, for extra savings account deposit.

We saved money recently by -
- Going shopping Christmas Eve and picking up ham @ $3.60 per kg (bought just over 1kg), roasted chooks (cooked chickens) x 4 half price @$4.50 ea, reduced to clear steak and lots of other bargains saving $63.83 on usual prices or 34.08%. Our freezer is now full of meat so shouldn't need to shop until February now.
- On Boxing Day we saw the 90 cm dual fan oven we had our eye on reduced down to a really low price and upon ringing them found they had one left. When we went into the store the manager had reduced the oven down by a further $100 so we saved all up $212. We will be saving up to have this put in in end of January early February with our friend who is an electrician along with 3 more either fluro led lights or 3 batten lights and a couple more power points.

Last edited:
We saved money recently by -
- Going shopping Christmas Eve and picking up ham @ $3.60 per kg (bought just over 1kg), roasted chooks x 4 half price @$4.50 ea, reduced to clear steak and lots of other bargains saving $63.83 on usual prices or 34.08%. Our freezer is now full of meat so shouldn't need to shop until February now.
- On Boxing Day we saw the 90 cm dual fan oven we had our eye on reduced down to a really low price and upon ringing them found they had one left. When we went into the store the manager had reduced the oven down by a further $100 so we saved all up $212. We will be saving up to have this put in in end of January early February with our friend who is an electrician along with 3 more either fluro led lights or 3 batten lights and a couple more power points.
What are roasted chooks?

I had an old fashioned popcorn popper for using on the stove top and it went missing many years ago. It was great to use in a campfire. Someone was giving one away today who lives about a mile from me. I was able to go and pick it up. I have an air popper as well.

The popcorn popper that I picked up today can be used for roasting coffee beans. I understand that green coffee beans are significantly cheaper than roasted ones. Now I need to find some green coffee beans.

Would that popcorn popper look any thing like this one?i got this one at least 3 or 4 years ago..i normally use it at home.but have taken it camping.

0101190708.jpg

Would that popcorn popper look any thing like this one?i got this one at least 3 or 4 years ago..i normally use it at home.but have taken it camping.

View attachment 9984
Yes! That is it exactly! I am a fan of popcorn and have eaten lots of it over my lifetime. I am so glad to get a new (to me) one. It is a prep and a useful tool. If power goes out, my air popper won't work, but this will work on the burner on my grill or on a campfire!

Latest posts

Back