How did I save money today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It wasn’t today, it was yesterday! My bathroom floor mats aren’t that old. However, the big one in front of the shower had a boo-boo. It has a trim piece sown all around the edge. When the two ends met it started to unravel.

I had bought a little bottle of fabric glue for a project that never got started. The glue worked like a charm on the trim, top and bottom. The glue is machine washable.

A little glue is a lot cheaper than a new set of mats. ;)

Last edited:
Breakdown of the above post:
Only diner in town.
1 meal at local diner(not even good food) $15
Sandwich only $ 7.95 plus tax
Drink: $2.95 plus tax
Dinner: $8.95 plus tax
Gym membership: $45 monthly
Nail salon: weekly $ 45
Polish: $ 2
Microwave popcorn:4 for $7
Brown lunch bags:100 bags for $3
Popcorn at least a pound: $3

I didn't. Sold my Boer herd and bought the kid a chocolate lab. I guess I kinda did save money, I didn't spend it all on the pup, I ended up with a good bit left over from selling the goats.
0105191622.jpg
0105191830.jpg

Last edited:
Other things we have done in the last week on catch up in here to save money have been -

- Made a double batch of banana muffins from bananas that needed using saving $80.59 over buying them in a cafe (yes we pay $3.50 ea here) with no gold plating.
- Made 2kg of potato salad with tinned corn that needed using from potatoes we harvested from the cottage saving $22.17 over buying it premade in the supermarkets.
- DH changed all the tap washers in the house with washers we purchased saving $103.80 over getting a plumber in to do it for us. It would have been more with parts. Slight cohersion with a bigger hammer was needed to loosen the calcification on them as they hadn't been changed in an eon.
- DH made a 1.39 mt long coat rack from wood we had, varnish we had, raw plugs and screws we had and purchased hooks saving $40.42 over buying an equivalent sized one in the shops and ours has much larger more useful hooks.
- DH made a double batch of white sauce/pudding premix saving $93.02 over purchasing the equivalent amount of premix powder in the supermarkets.

I love our whirley pop! We use it all the time. The pups truly LOVE their popcorn! I would never go back to microwave popcorn after making it in one of these. It's also just as fast. I put it on the stove at just one notch over medium and let it get hot. Then I add about 4 tablespoons of coconut oil.....(I just eyeball it) and let that get just to the smoking point, then add 1/2 cup of popcorn with 1 tsp of flavacol. While it's getting hot on the stove, I put about 3 tablespoons or so of popcorn butter in the micowave for about 30 seconds so when the popcorn is done, I have the butter topping ready. It is delish!!! I would be willing to bet that it's cheaper than micowave popcorn as well.

Great find Weedy. I never thought about using it for coffee beans, but I've never roasted my own beans either.

Went to Dollar tree for coffee.
Don't loan money to sons either one of them.
Thankfully Thursday is their payday.
Mine too.
I want reimmbursted for what they already borrowed.
I don't pay for date nights for either of them.
But unbeknownst to me this time, I did just that last week.
On both of them.
Heck, could have went to bar and diet coke myself for my own date night.

@Terri9630 You sold the Boer Herd!? That sounds bad. But the puppy is cute. I wonder how his new friends feel about him? Pretty coats, what are the two big dogs in your photo?

Yes we sold the Boers. We actually sold all of the goats. With the kids health issues we have been doing a lot of traveling and finding reliable people to feed and watch them has been difficult. We are going to a Dr on Wed and if he can't help her we will be going to the Mayo in Fla. It will be easier if we don't have to worry about livestock.
The large dogs are brother and sister, English mastiffs. The kid has been using her mastiff to help her. He's 7 so we got a puppy to start training. The mastiff is kinda stupid so all he does is to help her stand, holds her up when she gets dizzy and catches her when she falls. We want to teach the pup to do more.

Last edited:
Yes we sold the Boers. We actually sold all of the goats. With the kids health issues we have been doing a lot of traveling and finding reliable people to feed and watch them has been difficult. We are going to a Dr on Wed and if he can't help her we will be going to the Mayo in Fla. It will be easier if we don't have to worry about livestock.
The large dogs are brother and sister, English mastiffs. The kid has been using her mastiff to help her. He's 7 so we got a puppy to start training. The mastiff is kinda stupid so all he does is to help her stand, holds her up when she gets dizzy and catches her when she falls. We want to teach the pup to do more.
I hope pup does excellent with training. Sorry about all of that other stuff. I hope you can get her the right help. Don't despair.

I hope pup does excellent with training. Sorry about all of that other stuff. I hope you can get her the right help. Don't despair.

I think the pups going to do well, she's very intelligent. She's only had a collar for a day now and already follows on a leash and sits when you stop walking. She has also started running to the door right before she pees. Just need to be quick to get her out or there is a very small mess to clean. (compared to mastiff pups)

Last night DH informed me he had lost more weight so now his jeans are sliding off the other end of him so more work jeans were in order in a smaller size which I found for a reasonable $7 per pair and purchased 4 pairs online instead of the usual $19- $20 per pair.

I purchased 4 pairs of work jeans for me for the same price (again sliding off the other end of me) , 12 pairs of underwear for 0.75c per pair (usually $2 per pair here) and we purchased a large 70 cm fan with our all up savings of $151.89 over buying them locally here.

Last edited:
I have the opposite problem, Sewing, after Christmas. Things are not sliding off of me.
I shop at a salvage store when I'm at our farm. It's run by Amish Mennonites, but not all of them are. They have discontinued, dented, or expired things really cheap. I got 5 packs of Bob's Red Mill Brand 2lb packages of powdered egg substitutes for cooking for $1.99 each. They don't expire for 2 years, so I guess were discontinued by someone. Our salvage store also sells local produce, local canned products, and frozen local meat..like german sausage and hamburger. They carry one wall of bulk food items at good prices. The twins go for the just expired candy bars. Always 4 for $1.

Latest posts

Back